independent kde toolbar? - KDE

This is a discussion on independent kde toolbar? - KDE ; Hi, i wonder if there is any way to run the kde toolbar solely over a remote (multiwindow) X session..? By now i receive the complete kde screen as wm, but i want to have the toolbar only. the Reason: ...

  1. independent kde toolbar?

    Hi,

    i wonder if there is any way to run the kde toolbar solely over a remote
    (multiwindow) X session..?

    By now i receive the complete kde screen as wm, but i want to have the
    toolbar only.

    the Reason:
    I have an X server running on Windows2000/cygwin with multiwindow
    support and multiple monitors, and would like to have the kde toolbar as
    menubar for easily starting x-progs remotely, but no other visible
    wm-elements.

    I already searched for a similar tool like this, but didn't find any.

    A second question:
    To use my multiwindow X server i have to start any x client with
    DISPLAY=XServerAddr:screen.disp. This is working for all progs started
    out of a shell. But all progs started from the kde toolbar will be
    displayed within the kde wm, not remotely. Is there any option to
    redirect all new output, even when started within kde?

    I tried to set the DISPLAY variable within xinitrc, but, of course, this
    didn't work.
    Is it possible to redirect even the xdm output? (it's working 'til
    login, but then the pipe gets broken and kde is not starting)

    If my questions might be off topic here, please direct me to where it's
    on topic. Thanks a lot!

    regards,
    Andy

  2. Re: independent kde toolbar?

    Andreas Born wrote:

    > i wonder if there is any way to run the kde toolbar solely over a remote
    > (multiwindow) X session..?
    >
    > By now i receive the complete kde screen as wm, but i want to have the
    > toolbar only.
    >
    > the Reason:
    > I have an X server running on Windows2000/cygwin with multiwindow
    > support and multiple monitors, and would like to have the kde toolbar as
    > menubar for easily starting x-progs remotely, but no other visible
    > wm-elements.

    You need a rootless X server (which I assume you have), and then simply
    run "kicker".

    Or is there something else going on...?

    --
    Evan "JabberWokky" E.
    usenet.irl@timewarp.org

  3. Re: independent kde toolbar?

    Evan "JabberWokky" E. wrote:

    > Andreas Born wrote:
    >
    >> i wonder if there is any way to run the kde toolbar solely over a
    >> remote (multiwindow) X session..?

    > You need a rootless X server (which I assume you have), and then
    > simply run "kicker".

    ok, it's working this way. Thanks a lot!

    But, the --geometry 1024x768-0-0 parameter seems to be ignored, the
    toolbar is always resizing to the available width, so it covers both
    monitors. How can I disable auto-resize? I use kde 3.3.0.

    With kde config i can set a relative value only.
    Is it not possible to define an absolute width, depending
    on the X display used?

    regards,
    Andy

  4. Re: independent kde toolbar?

    Andreas Born wrote:

    > With kde config i can set a relative value only.
    > Is it not possible to define an absolute width, depending
    > on the X display used?

    ****No...*kicker*(for*better*or*worse)*will*resize *itself.**It's*a*good
    thing in most cases, but you're running it with X that seems to not note
    the screen split.**(i.e.,*yes*it*normally*sizes*by*screen,*bu t*your*version
    of X likely is just saying "I have one screen, 2048x768... use it!").

    ****You*might*try*running*it*vertical*down*one*sid e*and*see*if*that*feels
    better.**Otherwise,*look*into*your*X*settings*and* see*if*you*can*turn*on
    anything to provide more info to running programs about your screen layout.

    ****How*about*a*"lower*left*corner*placement,*50%*width,*don't*expa nd*as
    needed"?**Would*that*work?

    --
    Evan "JabberWokky" E.
    usenet.irl@timewarp.org

  5. Re: independent kde toolbar?

    Andreas Born wrote:

    > But, the --geometry 1024x768-0-0 parameter seems to be ignored, the
    > toolbar is always resizing to the available width, so it covers both
    > monitors. How can I disable auto-resize? I use kde 3.3.0.
    >
    > With kde config i can set a relative value only.
    > Is it not possible to define an absolute width, depending
    > on the X display used?
    >
    > regards,
    > Andy

    Not directly but the kde kicker is eminently configurable.
    Try this to just have it appear on your left-hand monitor.
    Go to the panel configuration and you will see that you can have it in 9
    positions around a square. Choose the bottom left hand position and set the
    length to 50% If both monitors are the same resolution then it will only
    appear on the first. Else you may need to tweak the %

    --
    regards,
    andrew

+ Reply to Thread