Using xfontsel-generated patterns to incorporate fonts in Kde apps? - KDE

This is a discussion on Using xfontsel-generated patterns to incorporate fonts in Kde apps? - KDE ; Hello, I have created a splendid font pattern for my needs with xfontsel, namely -misc-console-medium-r-normal--8-80-72-72-c-80-iso10646-1 . Now the question is, how can I set this kind of font in use in Kde applications, especially in Konsole? This font name/size combination ...

  1. Using xfontsel-generated patterns to incorporate fonts in Kde apps?

    Hello,

    I have created a splendid font pattern for my needs with xfontsel,
    namely -misc-console-medium-r-normal--8-80-72-72-c-80-iso10646-1 . Now
    the question is, how can I set this kind of font in use in Kde
    applications, especially in Konsole? This font name/size combination
    cannot be found from the Konsole font dialog. I have done a day of
    googling and reading the sources of konsole, with no luck. The
    documentation for this has been horrible, IMO. So, if anyone of you have
    a slightest clue about how to do this, please go ahead and reply; this
    has been bugging me a lot and negatively affecting my studies. I bet
    other people would also like to know. Specs: Kde 3.3.0 on X.org 6.8.1 on
    SuSE Linux 9.2 .

    Cheers,
    --
    Mr. Janne Paalijarvi

    Web: http://www.iki.fi/jpaalija/ | Irc: usv @ IRCnet
    E-mail: replace 'spam' with 'cc' and remove '.invalid' in the address

  2. Re: Using xfontsel-generated patterns to incorporate fonts in Kde apps?

    Janne Paalijarvi wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I have created a splendid font pattern for my needs with xfontsel,
    > namely -misc-console-medium-r-normal--8-80-72-72-c-80-iso10646-1 . Now
    > the question is, how can I set this kind of font in use in Kde
    > applications, especially in Konsole? This font name/size combination
    > cannot be found from the Konsole font dialog. I have done a day of
    > googling and reading the sources of konsole, with no luck. The
    > documentation for this has been horrible, IMO. So, if anyone of you have
    > a slightest clue about how to do this, please go ahead and reply; this
    > has been bugging me a lot and negatively affecting my studies. I bet
    > other people would also like to know. Specs: Kde 3.3.0 on X.org 6.8.1 on
    > SuSE Linux 9.2 .

    I have no solution, but I admire your problem :-(

    Mine is marginally related: I don't run KDE (too much overhead) but I
    have it installed and use a number of k-applications under fvwm95. I
    would really love to be able to add to kwrite, kedit and kword a number
    of truetype fonts that I have available under other non-KDE apps as well
    as use sizes smaller than 6-point, but nothing in any of the 'help'
    documents offers assistance. Anybody know anything?

    --
    Cheers,
    Bev

  3. Re: Using xfontsel-generated patterns to incorporate fonts in Kde apps?

    On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 10:50:04 -0800, The Real Bev
    wrote:

    > I have done a day of
    >> googling and reading the sources of konsole, with no luck. The
    >> documentation for this has been horrible

    Probably because it is not a Konsole or kde issue specifically. Adding
    fonts is a linux issue and currently there are 2 font systems in play 1)
    The X core fonts which is what you want and 2)Fontconfig which is the new
    aa scalable client access fonts. Read the Fonts-Howto which is on allmost
    all distros in /usr/share/docs/howto or on the net at the linux
    documentation project.

    You can also look at your startkde script because it sets up extra font
    directories systemwide or per user and you will see how fonts are added in
    linux.

    Its not hard; basically you just add the font to a folder and then run a
    command to add it to the fontpath

    --
    andrew

  4. Re: Using xfontsel-generated patterns to incorporate fonts in Kde apps?

    Andrew Kar wrote:

    > Somebody wrote:
    >
    > > I have done a day of
    > >> googling and reading the sources of konsole, with no luck. The
    > >> documentation for this has been horrible

    > Probably because it is not a Konsole or kde issue specifically. Adding
    > fonts is a linux issue and currently there are 2 font systems in play 1)
    > The X core fonts which is what you want and 2)Fontconfig which is the new
    > aa scalable client access fonts. Read the Fonts-Howto which is on allmost
    > all distros in /usr/share/docs/howto or on the net at the linux
    > documentation project.
    >
    > You can also look at your startkde script because it sets up extra font
    > directories systemwide or per user and you will see how fonts are added in
    > linux.
    >
    > Its not hard; basically you just add the font to a folder and then run a
    > command to add it to the fontpath

    Can you describe how one might do this without actually running KDE?
    (It's installed, I just don't use it.) I just want to make my truetype
    fonts accessible by the few k-applications I run under fvwm95 (the fonts
    work just fine under fvwm95). I tried copying over my entire ttfonts
    subdirectory (the fonts.* files as well as the *.ttf files) to
    /opt/kde/share/fonts/override/ but it didn't seem to make any difference
    unless a reboot is necessary.

    I tried kpersonalizer and the resulting control center menu, but that
    didn't work either :-(

    --
    Cheers,
    Bev