Anyone using kmail with gmail ? - KDE

This is a discussion on Anyone using kmail with gmail ? - KDE ; Has anyone succeeded in using kmail with gmail? I've changed my gmail settings to allow POP3, and am able to get my mail with "fetchmail --ssl pop.gmail.com". But I don't see any way to tell kmail to use SSL. Any ...

  1. Anyone using kmail with gmail ?

    Has anyone succeeded in using kmail with gmail?
    I've changed my gmail settings to allow POP3,
    and am able to get my mail with
    "fetchmail --ssl pop.gmail.com".
    But I don't see any way to tell kmail to use SSL.

    Any advice or suggestions gratefully received.

    --
    Timothy Murphy
    tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

  2. Re: Anyone using kmail with gmail ?

    Timothy Murphy wrote:

    > Has anyone succeeded in using kmail with gmail?
    > I've changed my gmail settings to allow POP3,
    > and am able to get my mail with
    > "fetchmail --ssl pop.gmail.com".
    > But I don't see any way to tell kmail to use SSL.
    >
    > Any advice or suggestions gratefully received.

    What version of kde,,,
    Go to settings-network-recieve edit the account go to the extras tab,,,it's
    there in front of you.

    --
    *~~~ The ThunderLord is not dead ~~~*

  3. Re: Anyone using kmail with gmail ?

    Thor wrote:

    > Timothy Murphy wrote:
    >

    >> Has anyone succeeded in using kmail with gmail?
    >> I've changed my gmail settings to allow POP3,
    >> and am able to get my mail with
    >> "fetchmail --ssl pop.gmail.com".
    >> But I don't see any way to tell kmail to use SSL.
    >>
    >> Any advice or suggestions gratefully received.
    >>

    > What version of kde,,,
    > Go to settings-network-recieve edit the account go to the extras
    > tab,,,it's there in front of you.

    Yes, confirmed to exist here on a version as old as 1.5.1...

    To be perfectly honest, I recall having some problems with SSL before.
    Encryption worked with most clients, but not KMail. It works now, but I can
    remember why...

    --
    Roy Schestowitz
    http://schestowitz.com

  4. Re: Anyone using kmail with gmail ?

    Timothy Murphy wrote:
    > Has anyone succeeded in using kmail with gmail?

    Yes and there was nothing special but SSL. ;-)

    > But I don't see any way to tell kmail to use SSL.

    If I remember right you only have to change the default port from 110 to
    995 on network page/ receiving. SSL should be activated (via 'Check
    what the server supports').

    HSc

  5. Re: Anyone using kmail with gmail ?

    Holm Schubert wrote:

    > Timothy Murphy wrote:
    >> Has anyone succeeded in using kmail with gmail?

    > Yes and there was nothing special but SSL. ;-)
    >
    >> But I don't see any way to tell kmail to use SSL.

    > If I remember right you only have to change the default port from 110 to
    > 995 on network page/ receiving. SSL should be activated (via 'Check
    > what the server supports').
    >
    > HSc

    There is an option within kmail (well v 1.7.1) to check what the server
    requires, when you enter the account details for sending click on the
    security tab and at the the bottom of the windows is a button that says
    "Check what the server supports"

    Eencrytion is TLS
    Authentication is Plain

    Tim (not the same one)