Moving kmail - KDE

This is a discussion on Moving kmail - KDE ; I want to move my existing kmail setup to another PC, I am currently running KDE 3.3.2 with Kcontact 1.0.1 (which kmail is apart off) kmail 1.7.1 running on debain unstable with 2.4.18 kernel I want to move it to ...

  1. Moving kmail

    I want to move my existing kmail setup to another PC, I am currently running
    KDE 3.3.2 with Kcontact 1.0.1 (which kmail is apart off) kmail 1.7.1 running
    on debain unstable with 2.4.18 kernel

    I want to move it to a PC running KDE 3.3.2 kcontact 1.0.1 kmail 1.7.1
    running
    on debian testing 2.6.8 kernel. This setup has no mail setup on it

    The existing kmail setup has an inbox and 9 other mail boxes which which
    gets
    sorted from mail filters within kmail. All mail is supplied straight from
    ISP

    Its not so much the physical moving of the data (I intend to burn to cd and
    transfer that way) but what files to move.

    Thanks in advance

    Tim

  2. Re: Moving kmail

    Xendistar wrote:

    > I want to move my existing kmail setup to another PC, I am currently
    > running KDE 3.3.2 with Kcontact 1.0.1 (which kmail is apart off) kmail
    > 1.7.1 running on debain unstable with 2.4.18 kernel
    >
    > I want to move it to a PC running KDE 3.3.2 kcontact 1.0.1 kmail 1.7.1
    > running
    > on debian testing 2.6.8 kernel. This setup has no mail setup on it
    >
    > The existing kmail setup has an inbox and 9 other mail boxes which which
    > gets
    > sorted from mail filters within kmail. All mail is supplied straight from
    > ISP
    >
    > Its not so much the physical moving of the data (I intend to burn to cd
    > and transfer that way) but what files to move.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Tim

    IIRC (or ever understood correctly), KMail stores mail as individual files
    by default. It can also retain messages in MBOX archives.

    Here on SuSE you can find all the files (in the former type of storage I
    mentioned) under ~/Mail; it should be quite Linux-universal. By copying the
    files under ~/Mail, you should be able to 'migrate' all the data.

    As for the settings, have a look at: ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail

    Roy

    --
    Roy Schestowitz
    http://schestowitz.com