Konqueror internal vs external image file viewing? - KDE

This is a discussion on Konqueror internal vs external image file viewing? - KDE ; Is there a way to make Konqueror open local files with an external viewer (like GQView) but to open http: files with the internal viewer? I need to have local files open with an external viewer, because it needs to ...

  1. Konqueror internal vs external image file viewing?

    Is there a way to make Konqueror open local files with
    an external viewer (like GQView) but to open http:
    files with the internal viewer?

    I need to have local files open with an external
    viewer, because it needs to be fullscreen and I need
    to be able to easily flip between image files within
    a directory (i.e. with the mousewheel).

    However, when browsing on the internet, this results
    in extremely kludgy behavior. It's more or less
    impossible to use tabs in a sensible way and there
    are those annoying download dialog popups.

    As it is, I'm using Mozilla Firefox for web browsing,
    but I'd rather be able to use Konqueror.
    Any ideas?

    Thanks!

    Isaac Kuo

  2. Re: Konqueror internal vs external image file viewing?

    mechdan@yahoo.com wrote:

    > Is there a way to make Konqueror open local files with
    > an external viewer (like GQView) but to open http:
    > files with the internal viewer?
    >
    > I need to have local files open with an external
    > viewer, because it needs to be fullscreen and I need
    > to be able to easily flip between image files within
    > a directory (i.e. with the mousewheel).
    >
    > However, when browsing on the internet, this results
    > in extremely kludgy behavior. It's more or less
    > impossible to use tabs in a sensible way and there
    > are those annoying download dialog popups.
    >
    > As it is, I'm using Mozilla Firefox for web browsing,
    > but I'd rather be able to use Konqueror.
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Isaac Kuo

    Yes go to kde control centre / file associations and for image file mime
    types (or whatever mime types you like) tell Konqueror to open those mimes
    externally and put whichever app you want at the top of the list.
    Note that you can have a default setting for a whole mime family (text mimes
    include html) and tell it to open all externally but just embedded for html
    or have all displayed embedded but only plain-text opened externally.
    By the same token you can have all image mimes opened embedded but only jpeg
    and gif open in whatever external viewer you like; or vice-versa.

    --
    regards,
    andrew

  3. Re: Konqueror internal vs external image file viewing?

    Andrew Kar wrote:
    >mechdan@yahoo.com wrote:

    > > Is there a way to make Konqueror open local files with
    > > an external viewer (like GQView) but to open http:
    > > files with the internal viewer?

    > > I need to have local files open with an external
    > > viewer, because it needs to be fullscreen and I need
    > > to be able to easily flip between image files within
    > > a directory (i.e. with the mousewheel).

    > > However, when browsing on the internet, this results
    > > in extremely kludgy behavior. It's more or less
    > > impossible to use tabs in a sensible way and there
    > > are those annoying download dialog popups.

    > Yes go to kde control centre / file associations and for image file

    mime
    > types (or whatever mime types you like) tell Konqueror to open those

    mimes
    > externally and put whichever app you want at the top of the list.

    This doesn't work. Any jpeg files on the web will also
    be opened with an external viewer, but I want them to
    be opened with the internal viewer.

    > Note that you can have a default setting for a whole mime family

    (text mimes
    > include html) and tell it to open all externally but just embedded

    for html
    > or have all displayed embedded but only plain-text opened externally.
    > By the same token you can have all image mimes opened embedded but

    only jpeg
    > and gif open in whatever external viewer you like; or vice-versa.

    Let me explain. I want a gif on the local file system
    to open with an external viewer (i.e. gqview). I want
    a gif on the web to open within Konqueror with the
    internal viewer.

    In other words, any address starting http: should open
    with the internal viewer. If I type in the address
    http://www.foobar.com/image01.jpg, I want it to appear
    within Konqueror itself without annoying me with a
    pop up dialog asking me whether I want to view the file
    with gqview or download it.

    Any address starting with something other than http:
    should open with the external viewer. If I type in
    the address file:/home/isaac/image01.jpg, I want it
    to open up gview with that file.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks!

    Isaac Kuo

  4. Re: Konqueror internal vs external image file viewing?

    kuickshow is much better for quick image viewing, imho.

+ Reply to Thread