Synchronisation of multiple kde environments - KDE

This is a discussion on Synchronisation of multiple kde environments - KDE ; Dear Group, I would like to know how, if this is possible, one can keep synchronized different kde sessions run on different computers (say one box at work, one at home, one laptop). By synchronised I mean that if I ...

  1. Synchronisation of multiple kde environments

    Dear Group,

    I would like to know how, if this is possible, one can keep synchronized
    different kde sessions run on different computers (say one box at work, one
    at home, one laptop).

    By synchronised I mean that if I change one preference or option (like size
    of fonts or number of virtual desktop or some preference in kmail or
    konqueror) this is echoed on all systems.

    For things like mail or korganised such features are even more importants!

    This could be technically accomplished by having the configuration files
    fetched on the Internet. Is this allowed by kde, which is so transparent
    with physical medium it deals with?

    Best,

    Fabrice

  2. Re: Synchronisation of multiple kde environments

    F.P. Laussy wrote:

    > Dear Group,
    >
    > I would like to know how, if this is possible, one can keep synchronized
    > different kde sessions run on different computers (say one box at work,
    > one at home, one laptop).
    >
    > By synchronised I mean that if I change one preference or option (like
    > size of fonts or number of virtual desktop or some preference in kmail or
    > konqueror) this is echoed on all systems.
    >
    > For things like mail or korganised such features are even more importants!
    >
    > This could be technically accomplished by having the configuration files
    > fetched on the Internet. Is this allowed by kde, which is so transparent
    > with physical medium it deals with?
    >
    > Best,
    >
    > Fabrice

    I see no reason why not; you would just need to mirror the
    $KDEDIR/share/config for global (all users) or a specific users
    home/$USER/.kde folder.

    --
    regards,
    andrew

  3. Re: Synchronization of multiple kde environments

    Andrew Kar wrote:

    > I see no reason why not; you would just need to mirror the
    > $KDEDIR/share/config for global (all users) or a specific users
    > home/$USER/.kde folder.

    This is a good idea but this brings a new problem... do you know a good kde
    mirroring facility?

    There is konserve which is close to what is needed for that purpose, but
    since it does not support well communication through the network (you
    cannot restore backup from the network) it is not a good solution. It seems
    there is not a lot of activity around this nice application, so one should
    not expect these caveats be solve in any foreseeable future.

    May be some hand hacked shell script running in the background, brutally
    copying from a ftp server might be the solution...

    Fabrice

  4. Re: Synchronization of multiple kde environments

    F.P. Laussy wrote:

    > Andrew Kar wrote:
    >
    >> I see no reason why not; you would just need to mirror the
    >> $KDEDIR/share/config for global (all users) or a specific users
    >> home/$USER/.kde folder.

    > This is a good idea but this brings a new problem... do you know a good
    > kde mirroring facility?
    >
    > There is konserve which is close to what is needed for that purpose, but
    > since it does not support well communication through the network (you
    > cannot restore backup from the network) it is not a good solution. It
    > seems there is not a lot of activity around this nice application, so one
    > should not expect these caveats be solve in any foreseeable future.
    >
    > May be some hand hacked shell script running in the background, brutally
    > copying from a ftp server might be the solution...
    >
    > Fabrice

    Do a search on google groups for mirroring or look at this option or perhaps
    wget. I have a vague memory that there is a standard (console) program on
    most distros that actually does what you want but cant remember what its
    called and it would take hours to go thru all my /bin folders

    4.2. Using mirror

    Mirror is a sophisticated perl script that compares the content of a
    directory on a remote site with a local directory. It will use FTP to fetch
    the files that are on the remote site but not the local site, and delete
    files on the local site that are not on the remote site. The mirror program
    is configured with a configuration file. The mirror package is available as
    an RPM from rufus.w3.org.
    --
    regards,
    andrew

  5. Re: Synchronization of multiple kde environments

    Andrew Kar wrote:
    > F.P. Laussy wrote:
    >
    >>Andrew Kar wrote:
    >>
    >>>I see no reason why not; you would just need to mirror the
    >>>$KDEDIR/share/config for global (all users) or a specific users
    >>>home/$USER/.kde folder.

    >>This is a good idea but this brings a new problem... do you know a good
    >>kde mirroring facility?
    >>
    >>There is konserve which is close to what is needed for that purpose, but
    >>since it does not support well communication through the network (you
    >>cannot restore backup from the network) it is not a good solution. It
    >>seems there is not a lot of activity around this nice application, so one
    >>should not expect these caveats be solve in any foreseeable future.
    >>
    >>May be some hand hacked shell script running in the background, brutally
    >>copying from a ftp server might be the solution...
    >>
    >>Fabrice

    > Do a search on google groups for mirroring or look at this option or perhaps
    > wget. I have a vague memory that there is a standard (console) program on
    > most distros that actually does what you want but cant remember what its
    > called and it would take hours to go thru all my /bin folders
    >
    > 4.2. Using mirror
    >
    > Mirror is a sophisticated perl script that compares the content of a
    > directory on a remote site with a local directory. It will use FTP to fetch
    > the files that are on the remote site but not the local site, and delete
    > files on the local site that are not on the remote site. The mirror program
    > is configured with a configuration file. The mirror package is available as
    > an RPM from rufus.w3.org.

    Take a look at 'rsync'.

    Larry

  6. Re: Synchronization of multiple kde environments

    On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 16:46:58 +0000, Larry I Smith wrote:

    > Take a look at 'rsync'.

    Actually, what you want is unison... Google for it.

  7. Re: Synchronization of multiple kde environments

    Captain Dondo wrote:
    > On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 16:46:58 +0000, Larry I Smith wrote:
    >
    >>Take a look at 'rsync'.

    > Actually, what you want is unison... Google for it.

    Well, no, I meant 'rsync'... Google for it.
    But 'unison' will also work.

    Larry

  8. Re: Synchronization of multiple kde environments

    Larry I Smith wrote:

    > Well, no, I meant 'rsync'...¬*¬*Google¬*for¬*it.
    > But 'unison' will also work.

    Yep, rsync was what I meant too :-)
    Mainly because rsync comes standard on most distros CDs and also because it
    can be used over a remote shell as the transport or as an rsync server, it
    can keep permissions/ownership or not as required and basically one command
    line is all that is required to do the job. Also on most distros there is
    rcp (remote-copy) but it has less features than rsync.
    See: man rsync for more info.

    --
    regards,
    andrew

  9. Re: Synchronization of multiple kde environments

    On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 20:40:38 +0000, Andrew Kar wrote:

    > Larry I Smith wrote:
    >
    >> Well, no, I meant 'rsync'...**Google*for*it.
    >> But 'unison' will also work.

    > Yep, rsync was what I meant too :-)
    > Mainly because rsync comes standard on most distros CDs and also because it
    > can be used over a remote shell as the transport or as an rsync server, it
    > can keep permissions/ownership or not as required and basically one command
    > line is all that is required to do the job. Also on most distros there is
    > rcp (remote-copy) but it has less features than rsync.
    > See: man rsync for more info.

    But the OP wants to sync multiple computers. There is no guarantee that
    all of the changes will take place on one machine, and then will be
    propagated from a master server to the remotes.

    rsync will not work well if changes occur on both ends of the sync; unison
    will work better. rsync will clobber the changes on the receiving end by
    overwriting them....

    Still, I have doubts about the scheme working. In my experience, config
    files tend to be a tangled mess; propagating changes from one machine
    to another and back leads to a scrambled config...

+ Reply to Thread