kde 3.3.2 root login - KDE

This is a discussion on kde 3.3.2 root login - KDE ; Hi, Can anyone help please, I have just upgrades Suse 8.2 to kde 3.3.2 and i find i can no longer log in as root from the graphical login screen! If i boot at runlevel 3 and log in as ...

  1. kde 3.3.2 root login

    Hi,
    Can anyone help please, I have just upgrades Suse 8.2 to kde 3.3.2 and i
    find i can no longer log in as root from the graphical login screen!
    If i boot at runlevel 3 and log in as root i can startx to kde ok.
    i have checked in the kdmrc file and AllowRootLogin=true
    any help would be appreciated.

    Graham

  2. Re: kde 3.3.2 root login

    Graham wrote:

    > Hi,
    > Can anyone help please, I have just upgrades Suse 8.2 to kde 3.3.2 and i
    > find i can no longer log in as root from the graphical login screen!
    > If i boot at runlevel 3 and log in as root i can startx to kde ok.
    > i have checked in the kdmrc file and AllowRootLogin=true
    > any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Graham

    Make sure the root user is selected in the KDM Configuration. You can access
    this in your the Configuration Centre, under System and then Login Manager.
    You should press the button at the bottom to access root mode, so you can
    modify KDM's settings.

    Good luck,

    --
    Bram Schoenmakers
    KDE Netherlands (www.kde.nl)

  3. Re: kde 3.3.2 root login

    Bram Schoenmakers wrote:

    > Make sure the root user is selected in the KDM Configuration. You can
    > access this in your the Configuration Centre, under System and then Login
    > Manager. You should press the button at the bottom to access root mode, so
    > you can modify KDM's settings.
    >
    > Good luck,

    Hi Bram,
    Thanks for the help, however, having found root de-selected in the selected
    users list, I have selected root in the selected list and de-selected root
    in the hidden list, i still have the same problem! Also i have noticed the
    clock changes to the logo on the apperences tab and on the login screen!!
    Any other ideas?

    Thanks, Graham

  4. Re: kde 3.3.2 root login

    On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 19:37:01 +0000, Graham wrote:
    > Bram Schoenmakers wrote: Thanks for the help, however, having found
    > root de-selected in the selected users list, I have selected root in
    > the selected list and de-selected root in the hidden list, i still
    > have the same problem!

    vi /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc and change AllowRootLogin from false to true.

    [Of course it is bad practice to ever log into a full KDE session as
    root. You should always log in as yourself and just su to root when you
    want to (or do a sudo command, or su -c)].

  5. Re: kde 3.3.2 root login

    Hi
    For anyone interested, I have solved the problem of no root login following
    upgading to kde 3.3.2 The Rpm files i downloaded from:-
    http://ftp.mirror.ac.uk/sites/ftp.kd...SuSE/ix86/8.2/
    Has no kde3-i18n-en_GB UK Translation file, I didn't want to use the kde 3.1
    file so i have downloaded a Kde 3.3.2 tar file and installed it.
    Everything now works OK.

    Regards
    Graham.

+ Reply to Thread