Sudo? - KDE

This is a discussion on Sudo? - KDE ; Hi all. I'm running Ubuntu Linux (Warty) which disables the root account by default. This is not a problem in Gnome, which Ubuntu supports. However, at this time, Ubuntu does not support KDE. Even though I could have downloaded the ...

  1. Sudo?

    Hi all.

    I'm running Ubuntu Linux (Warty) which disables the root account by
    default. This is not a problem in Gnome, which Ubuntu supports.

    However, at this time, Ubuntu does not support KDE. Even though I could
    have downloaded the Debian version, I wanted something a bit more new,
    so I installed version 3.3.91 Beta 1 via Konstruct.

    I haven't used KDE much since version 2. I'm a bit rusty, and most of
    what I remember has changed anyway.

    I know there is kdesu to run programs as root. I know I can enable the
    root account and have done so before here, but I would prefer to use
    sudo.

    Is there a KDE equivalent to Gnome's gksudo?

    Thanks in advance!

    David

    --
    Registered Linux User #297958

  2. Re: Sudo?

    David M. Carney wrote:

    > Is there a KDE equivalent to Gnome's gksudo?

    I dont know if there is but there is nothing stopping you from using all
    your gnome programs under kde and vice versa so continue using gksudo if
    you want.

    --
    regards,
    andrew

  3. Re: Sudo?

    On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 00:49:25 GMT
    Andrew Kar wrote:

    > David M. Carney wrote:
    >
    > > Is there a KDE equivalent to Gnome's gksudo?
    > >

    > I dont know if there is but there is nothing stopping you from using all
    > your gnome programs under kde and vice versa so continue using gksudo if
    > you want.
    >
    > --
    > regards,
    > andrew

    I realize that, but sometimes gksudo doesn't work right with KDE programs.

    David

  4. Re: Sudo?

    David M. Carney wrote:

    > On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 00:49:25 GMT
    > Andrew Kar wrote:
    >
    >> David M. Carney wrote:
    >>
    >> > Is there a KDE equivalent to Gnome's gksudo?
    >> >

    >> I dont know if there is but there is nothing stopping you from using all
    >> your gnome programs under kde and vice versa so continue using gksudo if
    >> you want.
    >>
    >> --
    >> regards,
    >> andrew

    > I realize that, but sometimes gksudo doesn't work right with KDE programs.
    >
    > David

    Why not activate a terminal and log in as su then run the app from there.

  5. Re: Sudo?

    David M. Carney wrote:
    > Hi all.
    >
    > I'm running Ubuntu Linux (Warty) which disables the root account by
    > default. This is not a problem in Gnome, which Ubuntu supports.
    >
    > However, at this time, Ubuntu does not support KDE. Even though I could
    > have downloaded the Debian version, I wanted something a bit more new,
    > so I installed version 3.3.91 Beta 1 via Konstruct.
    >
    > I haven't used KDE much since version 2. I'm a bit rusty, and most of
    > what I remember has changed anyway.
    >
    > I know there is kdesu to run programs as root. I know I can enable the
    > root account and have done so before here, but I would prefer to use
    > sudo.
    >
    > Is there a KDE equivalent to Gnome's gksudo?
    >
    > Thanks in advance!
    >
    > David

    Perhaps 'kdesu'. Type 'kdesu --help' at a command line
    for details.

    Larry