MP3 MusicBrainz client? - KDE

This is a discussion on MP3 MusicBrainz client? - KDE ; Hi, is there a good MusicBrainz client, like the one available for Windows ( http://www.musicbrainz.org/)? MusicBrainz is a database that can use the raw MP3 file data and file name as query and returns complete ID3 tag information. This way, ...

  1. MP3 MusicBrainz client?

    Hi,

    is there a good MusicBrainz client, like the one available for Windows
    (http://www.musicbrainz.org/)?

    MusicBrainz is a database that can use the raw MP3 file data and file name
    as query and returns complete ID3 tag information. This way, you can
    ideally just throw your whole MP3 collection into the client and it tags
    all the files correctly.

    I know JuK can kind of do that for simgle titles, but it didn't work
    successfully for me. It found the pieces one by one, then one dialogbox
    after the other popped up where I had to confirm each hit. It takes a long
    time. Then, it didn't even change anything, e.g. add the missing Genre
    entry.

    How about a good ID3 tag editor? kid3 looks pretty under-developed, and
    easytag didn't install on my SuSE 9.2.

    Thanks!
    MArkus

  2. Re: MP3 MusicBrainz client?

    Hi Markus,

    have you tried Amarok ? I believe it's furnished with kde. Try it !

    It's buggy on my laptop, but it's certainly my wrong acts...

    Have a good day

    Markus Dehmann a écrit :
    > Hi,
    >
    > is there a good MusicBrainz client, like the one available for Windows
    > (http://www.musicbrainz.org/)?
    >
    > MusicBrainz is a database that can use the raw MP3 file data and file name
    > as query and returns complete ID3 tag information. This way, you can
    > ideally just throw your whole MP3 collection into the client and it tags
    > all the files correctly.
    >
    > I know JuK can kind of do that for simgle titles, but it didn't work
    > successfully for me. It found the pieces one by one, then one dialogbox
    > after the other popped up where I had to confirm each hit. It takes a long
    > time. Then, it didn't even change anything, e.g. add the missing Genre
    > entry.
    >
    > How about a good ID3 tag editor? kid3 looks pretty under-developed, and
    > easytag didn't install on my SuSE 9.2.
    >
    > Thanks!
    > MArkus

  3. Re: MP3 MusicBrainz client?

    Markus Dehmann wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > is there a good MusicBrainz client, like the one available for Windows
    > (http://www.musicbrainz.org/)?
    >
    > MusicBrainz is a database that can use the raw MP3 file data and file name
    > as query and returns complete ID3 tag information. This way, you can
    > ideally just throw your whole MP3 collection into the client and it tags
    > all the files correctly.
    >
    > I know JuK can kind of do that for simgle titles, but it didn't work
    > successfully for me. It found the pieces one by one, then one dialogbox
    > after the other popped up where I had to confirm each hit. It takes a long
    > time. Then, it didn't even change anything, e.g. add the missing Genre
    > entry.
    >
    > How about a good ID3 tag editor? kid3 looks pretty under-developed, and
    > easytag didn't install on my SuSE 9.2.

    I too am looking for something similar, as my mp3's are in a mess, have you
    tried ktag. ( b1project.com/ktag.php3 ). I am just compiling it now, but
    it looks ok. Shame easytag does not do mb. Another good id3 editor is
    cantus. you could try that, but alas not KDE based, but I assume you will
    have the Gnome libs installed.

  4. Re: MP3 MusicBrainz client?

    zered wrote:

    > Markus Dehmann a écrit :
    >>
    >> is there a good MusicBrainz client, like the one available for Windows
    >> (http://www.musicbrainz.org/)?

    > have you tried Amarok ? I believe it's furnished with kde. Try it !

    Strange! I heard amarok can do that, but it does not show this option for
    me. My amarok RPM is from packman.links2linux.de, and apparently they did
    not compile it with the musicbrainz option.

    Does anyone know where to get an amarok version with musicbrainz support?

    Thanks!
    Markus

  5. Re: MP3 MusicBrainz client?

    Markus Dehmann wrote:

    > is there a good MusicBrainz client, like the one available for Windows
    > (http://www.musicbrainz.org/)?

    kdemultimedia-3.3.x's juk is one.

    -- Rex

  6. Re: MP3 MusicBrainz client?

    Markus Dehmann wrote:

    [...]
    > Does anyone know where to get an amarok version with musicbrainz support?

    I compiled it from sources and musicbrainz works fine...

    --
    William Maddler

  7. Re: MP3 MusicBrainz client?

    William Maddler wrote:

    > Markus Dehmann wrote:
    >
    > [...]
    >> Does anyone know where to get an amarok version with musicbrainz support?

    > I compiled it from sources and musicbrainz works fine...

    I kind of gave up compiling KDE apps myself. This one for example aborts the
    configure step:

    = amaroK cannot be built because your TagLib version is too old. Please
    = obtain the version 1.3.1 from: http://ktown.kde.org/~wheeler/taglib/

    But rpm says I have an even newer version already installed:

    > rpm -qa | grep taglib

    taglib-1.3-4
    taglib-devel-1.3-4.1

    These things happen all the time when I want to compile KDE stuff...

    Markus

  8. Re: MP3 MusicBrainz client?

    Markus Dehmann wrote:

    > = obtain the version 1.3.1 from: http://ktown.kde.org/~wheeler/taglib/
    >
    > But rpm says I have an even newer version already installed:
    >
    >> rpm -qa | grep taglib

    > taglib-1.3-4
    > taglib-devel-1.3-4.1

    sorry, cannot help with the actual problem. But according to rpm versioning
    conventions you have version 1.3 (build 4) which is lower than 1.3.1

    on my Mandrake Cooker system, it looks like this

    rpm -qa | grep taglib
    libtaglib0-1.3.1-2mdk

    meaning the lib is version 1.3.1 and it's the 2nd rpm build

    Mark

    --
    RLU#81547
    * Midnight Commander

  9. Re: MP3 MusicBrainz client?

    Mark Draheim wrote:

    > Markus Dehmann wrote:
    >
    >> = obtain the version 1.3.1 from: http://ktown.kde.org/~wheeler/taglib/
    >>
    >> But rpm says I have an even newer version already installed:
    >>
    >>> rpm -qa | grep taglib

    >> taglib-1.3-4
    >> taglib-devel-1.3-4.1

    > sorry, cannot help with the actual problem. But according to rpm
    > versioning conventions you have version 1.3 (build 4) which is lower than
    > 1.3.1

    I see. That's a subtle difference. Then, I'll try to get the new lib and
    compile again...

    Thanks!
    Markus

+ Reply to Thread