My story with Kmail - KDE

This is a discussion on My story with Kmail - KDE ; I store all my incoming old messages in a file ~/Mail/inbox, and all the sent messages in a file ~/Mail/outbox. Have been doing this for 10+ years, never cared about the grammatical correctness to name it sent-mail instead. Two days ...

  1. My story with Kmail

    I store all my incoming old messages in a file ~/Mail/inbox, and
    all the sent messages in a file ~/Mail/outbox. Have been doing
    this for 10+ years, never cared about the grammatical correctness
    to name it sent-mail instead. Two days ago I configured Kmail
    so that I can use the email function in KAlarm. The minute I
    click the "send" button the first time in Kmail, it grabbed 1700+
    messages from my outbox and sent them again. That's a whole two
    years worth of my outgoing messages. My boss got 30 messages. My
    sysadmin got about 200. I am still not sure exactly how many people
    I have disturbed but many old friends came back talking to me. Some
    suspect I lost my mind because what I said doesn't make sense. It's
    absolutely embarrassing. Have a laugh at my expense but please tell
    someone to make this poor thing smarter.

  2. Re: My story with Kmail

    xxzeng@gmail.com wrote:

    > I store all my incoming old messages in a file ~/Mail/inbox, and
    > all the sent messages in a file ~/Mail/outbox...
    > absolutely embarrassing. Have a laugh at my expense but please tell
    > someone to make this poor thing smarter.

    That is quite funny. But it's the way mail clients work, and quite rightly
    so. It's not the mail client that needs to be made smarter...

    Dave

    --
    Faculty of Divinity, University of Cambridge
    West Road, Cambridge, CB3 9BS

  3. Re: My story with Kmail

    xxzeng@gmail.com wrote:

    > I store all my incoming old messages in a file ~/Mail/inbox, and
    > all the sent messages in a file ~/Mail/outbox. Have been doing
    > this for 10+ years, never cared about the grammatical correctness
    > to name it sent-mail instead. Two days ago I configured Kmail
    > so that I can use the email function in KAlarm. The minute I
    > click the "send" button the first time in Kmail, it grabbed 1700+
    > messages from my outbox and sent them again. That's a whole two
    > years worth of my outgoing messages. My boss got 30 messages. My
    > sysadmin got about 200. I am still not sure exactly how many people
    > I have disturbed but many old friends came back talking to me. Some
    > suspect I lost my mind because what I said doesn't make sense. It's
    > absolutely embarrassing. Have a laugh at my expense but please tell
    > someone to make this poor thing smarter.

    Why didn't you stop the sending process, close the internet connection, or
    kill kmail? Or shut down the computer, or whatever?

    Well, it really should ask for confirmation before sending 1700 messages.

  4. Re: My story with Kmail

    I thought it could ask me or at least confirm what file to store
    outgoing message and what file to store sent message the first
    time I configure it? Or, if it sees a message with a time stamp
    over 2 years old, not to send it anymore? In over 15 years of
    using UNIX I have never used a mail client that requires storing
    outgoing message in a file before sending it out. I didn't think it's
    necessary.

  5. Re: My story with Kmail

    I knew nothing about what's going on at the moment. The first
    thing I noticed was dozens of returned emails, because of dead
    addresses. Then some old messages posted to some mailing
    lists came back. It was hours after the incident when I finally
    figured out what had happened.

  6. Re: My story with Kmail

    On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 07:47:39 -0800, xxzeng wrote:
    > I store all my incoming old messages in a file ~/Mail/inbox, and all
    > the sent messages in a file ~/Mail/outbox. Have been doing this for
    > 10+ years, never cared about the grammatical correctness to name it
    > sent-mail instead. Two days ago I configured Kmail so that I can use
    > the email function in KAlarm. The minute I click the "send" button the
    > first time in Kmail, it grabbed 1700+ messages from my outbox and sent
    > them again. That's a whole two years worth of my outgoing messages. My
    > boss got 30 messages. My sysadmin got about 200. I am still not sure
    > exactly how many people I have disturbed but many old friends came
    > back talking to me. Some suspect I lost my mind because what I said
    > doesn't make sense. It's absolutely embarrassing. Have a laugh at my
    > expense but please tell someone to make this poor thing smarter.

    I've gotta say, this is a funny story sorry.

    I've recently changed from Thunderbird to Kmail and there have been a
    few silly bugs which have annoyed me (mainly crashes etc). I don't
    really feel very confident about kmail. E.g. I have twice CC'd an email
    to the wrong person since using kmail as I find the type ahead operation
    quite clumsy. That's embarrassing enough but if I'd done what you'd done
    I'd have crawled into a hole for the week!

    To be honest, that could have happened to me also. I used to keep all my
    old mutt email in a folder named outbox and I can imagine doing exactly
    what you did.

+ Reply to Thread