How to set middle-button to double-click ? - KDE

This is a discussion on How to set middle-button to double-click ? - KDE ; I would like to set the function of the middle-button of my mouse to double-click (for all applications, as well as the desktop). Does anyone know how to do that, or where I can find the setting? Thanks in advance ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: How to set middle-button to double-click ?

  1. How to set middle-button to double-click ?

    I would like to set the function of the middle-button of my mouse to
    double-click (for all applications, as well as the desktop).
    Does anyone know how to do that, or where I can find the setting?

    Thanks in advance for your replies!

    Casper

  2. Re: How to set middle-button to double-click ?

    FriendlyGhost wrote:

    > I would like to set the function of the middle-button of my mouse to
    > double-click (for all applications, as well as the desktop).
    > Does anyone know how to do that, or where I can find the setting?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your replies!
    >
    > Casper


    Why do you want to doubleclick anyway, why not set your settings to single
    click only. Then you wouldn't need to set up the middle button to do it for
    you.

  3. Re: How to set middle-button to double-click ?

    Thor wrote:
    > FriendlyGhost wrote:
    >
    >
    >>I would like to set the function of the middle-button of my mouse to
    >>double-click (for all applications, as well as the desktop).
    >>Does anyone know how to do that, or where I can find the setting?
    >>
    >>Thanks in advance for your replies!
    >>
    >>Casper

    >
    >
    > Why do you want to doubleclick anyway, why not set your settings to single
    > click only. Then you wouldn't need to set up the middle button to do it for
    > you.


    Because I turned this option off on purpose. I hate it when I select an
    item, the OS interprets it as if I wanted to start or open it.

    Also in several applications I use, I need the difference between
    selection by single-click at opening by double-click.


    In windows (I use dual-boot), I use the thumb-button for double-click.
    Works great. In linux, X doesn't see the difference between my
    middle-button and thum-button, and considers both as middle-button.

    So now I would just really like to have the middle-button (so also my
    thumb-button) work as double click, so I can select files or lines (or
    whatever) with a left-click without having them start or open, which I
    don't want, and start or open files with the middle or thumb-button
    which emulates double-click.


    So, now again my question. Does anyone know how to set the middle-button
    to emulation of double-(left-)click ?

    Thanks very much in advance for any help.

  4. Re: How to set middle-button to double-click ?

    FriendlyGhost wrote:
    > Thor wrote:
    >> FriendlyGhost wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>> I would like to set the function of the middle-button of my mouse to
    >>> double-click (for all applications, as well as the desktop).
    >>> Does anyone know how to do that, or where I can find the setting?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance for your replies!
    >>>
    >>> Casper

    >>
    >>
    >> Why do you want to doubleclick anyway, why not set your settings to
    >> single
    >> click only. Then you wouldn't need to set up the middle button to do
    >> it for
    >> you.

    >
    > Because I turned this option off on purpose. I hate it when I select an
    > item, the OS interprets it as if I wanted to start or open it.
    >
    > Also in several applications I use, I need the difference between
    > selection by single-click at opening by double-click.
    >
    >
    > In windows (I use dual-boot), I use the thumb-button for double-click.
    > Works great. In linux, X doesn't see the difference between my
    > middle-button and thum-button, and considers both as middle-button.
    >
    > So now I would just really like to have the middle-button (so also my
    > thumb-button) work as double click, so I can select files or lines (or
    > whatever) with a left-click without having them start or open, which I
    > don't want, and start or open files with the middle or thumb-button
    > which emulates double-click.
    >
    >
    > So, now again my question. Does anyone know how to set the middle-button
    > to emulation of double-(left-)click ?
    >
    > Thanks very much in advance for any help.


    Hmm, that sounds like MS Windows. Normally left-button single-click
    opens/executes, and right-button single click selects; no double
    clicking should be required.

    Larry

    --
    Anti-spam address, change each 'X' to '.' to reply directly.

  5. Re: How to set middle-button to double-click ?

    Larry I Smith wrote:
    > Hmm, that sounds like MS Windows. Normally left-button single-click
    > opens/executes, and right-button single click selects; no double
    > clicking should be required.
    >
    > Larry
    >


    Ok, I have several reasons to want the M$ Windows like button behaviour.
    Amoung others to have consistent behaviour between KDE desktop and W98
    running in VMWare, and several reasons more.

    What I don't understand that with an OS like linux, so superior to
    windows, it is so hard to emulate the windows-like mouse-button
    behaviour. It should be such an easy option in a menu or whatever.


    Of course it could be possible by just roughly hacking the source code
    of KDE.

    But what I'd like to know now is whether there is a cleaner option to
    just bind the middle-button to double-click.

    Casper

  6. Re: How to set middle-button to double-click ?

    FriendlyGhost wrote:
    > Larry I Smith wrote:
    > > Hmm, that sounds like MS Windows. Normally left-button single-click
    >> opens/executes, and right-button single click selects; no double
    >> clicking should be required.
    >>
    >> Larry
    >>

    >
    > Ok, I have several reasons to want the M$ Windows like button behaviour.
    > Amoung others to have consistent behaviour between KDE desktop and W98
    > running in VMWare, and several reasons more.
    >
    > What I don't understand that with an OS like linux, so superior to
    > windows, it is so hard to emulate the windows-like mouse-button
    > behaviour. It should be such an easy option in a menu or whatever.
    >
    >
    > Of course it could be possible by just roughly hacking the source code
    > of KDE.
    >
    > But what I'd like to know now is whether there is a cleaner option to
    > just bind the middle-button to double-click.
    >
    > Casper


    I'm not sure why you want to use the middle button to double click,
    but if you want to emulate Windows (where left button single-click
    selects, and left button double-click opens/launches), that can be
    done via the KDE Control Center. In my SuSE Pro v.92:

    - select 'Control Center' from the 'Start' menu
    - select 'Peripherals'
    - select 'Mouse'
    - select 'Double-click to open files and folders'

    If I remember correctly, the 'center button' is optional in Linux.
    So there is no default config for it. It is enabled/controlled by
    the lower-level mouse defs in the 'X' config files. (but I could
    be remembering incorrectly...)

    Regards,
    Larry

    --
    Anti-spam address, change each 'X' to '.' to reply directly.

  7. Re: How to set middle-button to double-click ?

    Larry I Smith has offered us the following clue :

    > If I remember correctly, the 'center button' is optional in Linux.
    > So there is no default config for it. It is enabled/controlled by
    > the lower-level mouse defs in the 'X' config files. (but I could
    > be remembering incorrectly...)
    >
    > Regards,
    > Larry
    >

    Yes, basic mouse behaviour can be described in xorg.conf, mouse section.
    I'm not a specialist of it, but you can find precious info on the web.

    # ************************************************** ********************
    # Core Pointer's InputDevice section
    # ************************************************** ********************

    Section "InputDevice"

    # Identifier and driver

    Identifier "Mouse1"
    Driver "mouse"
    OPtion "CorePointer"
    Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
    Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

    # Mouse-speed setting for PS/2 mouse.

    # Option "Resolution" "256"

    # When using XQUEUE, comment out the above two lines, and uncomment
    # the following line.

    # Option "Protocol" "Xqueue"

    # Baudrate and SampleRate are only for some Logitech mice. In
    # almost every case these lines should be omitted.

    # Option "BaudRate" "9600"
    # Option "SampleRate" "150"

    # Emulate3Buttons is an option for 2-button Microsoft mice
    # Emulate3Timeout is the timeout in milliseconds (default is 50ms)

    # Option "Emulate3Buttons"
    # Option "Emulate3Timeout" "50"

    # ChordMiddle is an option for some 3-button Logitech mice

    Option "ChordMiddle"

    EndSection


  8. Re: How to set middle-button to double-click ?

    FriendlyGhost wrote:

    > What I don't understand that with an OS like linux, so superior to
    > windows, it is so hard to emulate the windows-like mouse-button
    > behaviour. It should be such an easy option in a menu or whatever.


    Well I dont think that *IS* windows like mouse-button behaviour; or if it is
    I have never seen it. The X-server in linux allows you to set any codes you
    want for any button but double-clicking is NOT a code. Just as in Windows,
    Kde detects it by 2 codes in a time period.

    The only place I have seen the behaviour you describe is when a third party
    or special driver is used with the mouse like in Microsoft and Logitech
    explorer mice where the extra driver either sits in the tray or adds extra
    panels to the mouse in the control-centre where you can tell it to simulate
    a double click for a middle or 2nd button. So like in MS perhaps you can
    find a utility that does it.
    --
    regards,
    andrew

+ Reply to Thread