How do I start swat? - KDE

This is a discussion on How do I start swat? - KDE ; KDE -> System -> Configuration -> Networking -> Samba Configuration (SWAT) I am not able to start the swat sesseion. It does not even ask for root password. Can you help?...

  1. How do I start swat?

    KDE -> System -> Configuration -> Networking -> Samba Configuration (SWAT)

    I am not able to start the swat sesseion. It does not even ask for root
    password. Can you help?

  2. Re: How do I start swat?

    rod rook wrote:

    > KDE -> System -> Configuration -> Networking -> Samba Configuration (SWAT)

    Interesting.. They don't have that in the KDE 3.2.3 menu on a Mandrake
    10.1 system..

    > I am not able to start the swat sesseion. It does not even ask for root
    > password. Can you help?

    I access SWAT by opening a browser and connecting to port 901 on 'localhost'

    Enter this in the text box you normally enter URLs: 127.0.0.1:901

    Of course, you have to have SWAT installed to access it.

  3. Re: How do I start swat?

    rod rook wrote:
    >KDE -> System -> Configuration -> Networking -> Samba Configuration (SWAT)
    >
    >I am not able to start the swat sesseion. It does not even ask for root
    >password. Can you help?

    Bring up a console window and go to /etc/xinetd.d.

    If swat is installed you should find a configuration script entitled "swat"
    (what else? :-)). Examine the script. Look for the line that says "disable
    = [yes or no]". Make sure that it's set to "disable = no". Otherwise swat
    won't run. You'll find another line that will probably say "port = 901".
    This specifies the port number that you would use to communicate with swat.
    If you need to make changes in the config file, be sure to restart the xinetd
    demon by going to /etc/rc.d or /etc/rc.d/init.d to find the xinetd script and
    then run "xinetd restart". This should allow you to communicate with swat
    using any browser and typing "localhost:901" or some such in the location
    window.

    If you don't find a "swat" script, then you haven't installed swat. You could
    compile it from scratch but it would probably be easier to find the official
    swat rpm for your distro and install from the rpm. Instructions of finding the
    rpm vary with the distro. Tell us what you're using. I would advise you NOT
    to install from scratch unless you build all of samba from scratch. Otherwise
    you'll run into lots of confusing caused by different notions about the proper
    place to keep config files.

    Related issues. Most distros ship with swat disabled in the xinet config file
    -- thereby preventing the user from getting into unexpected trouble vis-a-vis
    security. The xinetd demon, in essence, puts a "wrapper"around services like
    swat that allow you to prevent who can and cannot use the services initiated by
    xinetd. You probably don't want some stranger to reconfigure your samba set
    up so you should take some time and study /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny
    NOW by reading the man pages. What you probably want to do initially is make
    sure that swat can only be used from your machine and not by everyone else on
    the internet.

    Please make an effort to understand the hosts.allow and hosts.deny files, but
    to get you going in a hurry you could insert lines like the following:

    In hosts.allow:
    ALL: your_ip_address

    In hosts.deny:
    ALL: ALL@ALL, PARANOID, ALL

    Security Layers:

    Layer 1: The swat config file itself provides one layer of security to keep
    hackers from modifying samba and thereby accessing your filesystems. Your
    smb.conf setup should be designed to allow access ONLY from machines that
    require access.

    Layer 2:
    Xinetd provides a second layer of security because it will bar access to samba
    altogether to machines that aren't listed in /etc/hosts.allow or alternatively
    to machines that are listed in hosts.deny.

    Layer 3:
    The firewall on the machine running the samba server provides a third level of
    security.

    Layer 4:
    If you have a bastion firewall guarding your private network, this gives you
    still another level of protection. On the bastion firewall you should block
    unauthorized machines outside the private net from accessing "netbios" ports
    137-139 and also port 145. I'm oversimplifying here but this should help you
    get started.

    After you've configured the script in /etc/xinetd.d and edited /etc/smb.conf
    (either manually or using swat), you should be in business. If not, take a
    look at your firewalls.

  4. Re: How do I start swat?

    rod rook wrote:

    > KDE -> System -> Configuration -> Networking -> Samba Configuration (SWAT)
    >
    > I am not able to start the swat sesseion. It does not even ask for root
    > password. Can you help?

    You don't say what distro you are using but on Debian you have to manually
    edit a couple of config files to open certain ports, can't remember what
    they are and don't have the details to had but a quick rummage with google
    and the swat hand book should solve your problem

    Tim

+ Reply to Thread