Email client that reads Kmail's ~/Mail directory. - KDE

This is a discussion on Email client that reads Kmail's ~/Mail directory. - KDE ; Does anyone know if there's any mail client out there that would be able to read Kmail's mail format? My Kmail will grab my email from ~/.maildir and stick it in ~/Mail, then it will do abunch of stuff on ...

  1. Email client that reads Kmail's ~/Mail directory.

    Does anyone know if there's any mail client out there that would be
    able to read Kmail's mail format? My Kmail will grab my email from
    ~/.maildir and stick it in ~/Mail, then it will do abunch of stuff on
    it including renaming email message file names, index and all kinds of
    stuff that's not standard mail format.
    The reason I am asking is because after the upgrade on my KDE Kmail has
    been acting weird and I would like to see if I can get some other mail
    client to read my mail folder while I am waiting on a patch.
    Any input into this would be appreaciated!
    Roumen

  2. Re: Email client that reads Kmail's ~/Mail directory.

    semovrs@concord.edu has offered us the following clue :

    > Does anyone know if there's any mail client out there that would be
    > able to read Kmail's mail format? My Kmail will grab my email from
    > ~/.maildir and stick it in ~/Mail, then it will do abunch of stuff on
    > it including renaming email message file names, index and all kinds of
    > stuff that's not standard mail format.
    > The reason I am asking is because after the upgrade on my KDE Kmail has
    > been acting weird and I would like to see if I can get some other mail
    > client to read my mail folder while I am waiting on a patch.
    > Any input into this would be appreaciated!
    > Roumen

    Kmail stores emails one by one in separate files. They can be accessed
    basically with a simple text reader, for a start. Of course, it is not
    confortable. I said that just to note that with outlook you are in the sh..
    with a huge monolithic file, not with Kmail.
    So, go to your Kmail files, copy them somewhere and rename all of them *.eml
    Then you will be able to open them with Mozilla Thunderbird (I've tried
    that), and I guess with a lot of other readers.

  3. Re: Email client that reads Kmail's ~/Mail directory.

    > Does anyone know if there's any mail client out there that would be
    > able to read Kmail's mail format? My Kmail will grab my email from
    > ~/.maildir and stick it in ~/Mail, then it will do abunch of stuff on
    > it including renaming email message file names, index and all kinds of
    > stuff that's not standard mail format.

    Ah, but it *is* standard mail format. KMail uses maildir by default. Any
    reader that can read maildir should be able to read KMail's mail folders.

    -===-
    Michael Fierro biffster@NOSPAM-REALLYgmail.com
    Y! Messenger: miguelito_fierro AIM: mfierro1
    http://biffster.org http://weightjournal.com
    ---
    "Bother!" said Pooh, as he stuck his finger in the light socket.

+ Reply to Thread