Links in Kontac - KDE

This is a discussion on Links in Kontac - KDE ; Clicking a link puts file:///var/tmp/kdecache-pine/krun/3630.0. (apparently the html text is saved in a local directory) in the URL address window of the default browser. It appears to save the linked URL's html text as a file, but the problem is ...

  1. Links in Kontac

    Clicking a link puts file:///var/tmp/kdecache-pine/krun/3630.0. (apparently
    the html text is saved in a local directory) in the URL address window of
    the default browser. It appears to save the linked URL's html text as a
    file, but the problem is the linked URL is not loaded completely and if
    another link is clicked in that URL page, an error message appears saying
    "The file /var/tmp/kdecache-pine/krun/wat/ cannot be found. Please check
    the location and try again."

    This is a strange behavior and also anoying.

    How do I make it copy and paste the linked URL address and place it directly
    in the default browser address window?

  2. Re: Links in Kontac

    On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 11:40:13 +0000, rod rook wrote:
    > How do I make it copy and paste the linked URL address and place it
    > directly in the default browser address window?

    Are you trying to invoke firefox or mozilla from a KDE app? When you
    enter them into your KDE configuration as the default handler for *.html
    etc then make sure you add a %U as an argument.

    E.g. invoke as "firefox %U".

    You may also have to disable launch feedback to avoid KDE's lack of
    understanding of firefox's intelligent startup (e.g. you may sometimes see
    a second spurious taskbar tab unless you do this).

  3. Re: Links in Kontac

    mark wrote:

    > On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 11:40:13 +0000, rod rook wrote:
    >> How do I make it copy and paste the linked URL address and place it
    >> directly in the default browser address window?

    > Are you trying to invoke firefox or mozilla from a KDE app? When you
    > enter them into your KDE configuration as the default handler for *.html
    > etc then make sure you add a %U as an argument.
    >
    > E.g. invoke as "firefox %U".

    It did the trick.

    > You may also have to disable launch feedback to avoid KDE's lack of
    > understanding of firefox's intelligent startup (e.g. you may sometimes see
    > a second spurious taskbar tab unless you do this).

    How do you disable lauch feedback, in firefox or konqueror?

  4. Re: Links in Kontac

    On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 05:29:34 +0000, rod rook wrote:
    >> You may also have to disable launch feedback to avoid KDE's lack of
    >> understanding of firefox's intelligent startup (e.g. you may sometimes
    >> see a second spurious taskbar tab unless you do this).

    > How do you disable lauch feedback, in firefox or konqueror?

    If you find that KDE is starting a second "phantom" launchbar icon when
    you click on a link (which times out after about 10 secs but it sure
    looks ugly) then you will need to do this. The script which launches
    firefox is smart and checks if the user configuration desires that
    "links be opened in different tab in same window" etc. KDE is not smart
    enough to know about this and blithely assumes a new window will be
    opened.

    You turn off launch feedback in KDE control center + file associations +
    html + firefox + advanced.

  5. Re: Links in Kontac

    mark wrote:

    > On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 05:29:34 +0000, rod rook wrote:
    > If you find that KDE is starting a second "phantom" launchbar icon when
    > you click on a link (which times out after about 10 secs but it sure
    > looks ugly) then you will need to do this. The script which launches
    > firefox is smart and checks if the user configuration desires that
    > "links be opened in different tab in same window" etc. KDE is not smart
    > enough to know about this and blithely assumes a new window will be
    > opened.
    >
    > You turn off launch feedback in KDE control center + file associations +
    > html + firefox + advanced.

    Thanks for your help, mark. There are so many things to learn.

    rod

+ Reply to Thread