Midnight Commander - KDE

This is a discussion on Midnight Commander - KDE ; I just started using Midnight Commander in place of Konqueror as the root. I am trying to figure out how to read any error messages generated by executing a command. So far I have been saving them by outputting them ...

  1. Midnight Commander

    I just started using Midnight Commander in place of Konqueror as the root. I
    am trying to figure out how to read any error messages generated by
    executing a command. So far I have been saving them by outputting them into
    a text ( > ). Is there any easier and better message.

    By the way I prefer this Commander to Root Console because I don't have to
    typ long directory names to change the directories.

  2. Re: Midnight Commander

    rod rook wrote:

    > I just started using Midnight Commander in place of Konqueror as the root.
    > I am trying to figure out how to read any error messages generated by
    > executing a command. So far I have been saving them by outputting them
    > into a text ( > ). Is there any easier and better message.
    >
    > By the way I prefer this Commander to Root Console because I don't have to
    > typ long directory names to change the directories.

    Not sure I understand what you want but if you click on a command etc you
    can see any response from it by holding ctrl and pressing the letter o
    which hides the panels and lets you see the full terminal output and then
    ctrl-o again to bbring the mc panel back

    --
    regards,
    andrew

  3. Re: Midnight Commander

    rod rook wrote:
    > I just started using Midnight Commander in place of Konqueror as the root. I
    > am trying to figure out how to read any error messages generated by
    > executing a command. So far I have been saving them by outputting them into
    > a text ( > ). Is there any easier and better message.
    >
    > By the way I prefer this Commander to Root Console because I don't have to
    > typ long directory names to change the directories.

    Not to beat up on midnight commander, but a friend of mine went
    through the same thing when he first started using Linux (he hated
    typing). I spent months trying to get him to learn how to use command
    completion in bash (to avoid all that typing) and he wouldn't listen.
    After hitting his head against the wall with mc, he *finally* learned
    how to use command completion (tab) in bash and hasn't used mc since.

    mc is a great program, but there is no replacement in Unix-ish os's
    for command line skill. Try the (tab) command completion in bash if
    you get a chance, makes life a lot easier.

    In any event, mc is pretty cool. Just making a suggestion.

    JB

    John Bleichert - syborg@earthlink.net
    "The meek shall inherit nothing." - FZ

  4. Re: Midnight Commander

    John Bleichert wrote:

    > for command line skill. Try the (tab) command completion in bash if
    > you get a chance, makes life a lot easier.

    true, especially for remote connections which will be daily routine once you
    connect all your Linux PCs to a home network. Or those oldschool Solaris
    machines to be found at university ;-)

    Anyway, I use a combination of mc and CLI because there are some things you
    just cannot do that quickly on CLI (like peeking into archives and
    extracting just one file).

    One advice for the OP since he talks about mc from a root shell: Try my red
    color scheme for root's mc. It might save you from "forgetting" that that
    the open mc is owned by root. I've made an rpm but it's basically a shell
    script changing root's mc ini file. If you're paranoid about shell scripts
    from unknown sources (as you should be), here's the entry, yes it's one
    line and I intentionally did not wrap it (apologies to all you hardcore
    curses newsreaders).

    [markd@pc4 ~]$ sudo cat /root/.mc/ini
    Password:

    [Colors]
    base_color=normal=lightgray,red:input=white,brown: errors=white,brightred:gauge=brown,black:selected= black,white:marked=yellow,red:markselect=yellow,wh ite:directory=white,red:executable=brightgreen,red :link=lightgray,red:device=brightmagenta,red:speci al=brightmagenta,red:core=brightred,red:menu=black ,white:menuhot=yellow,white:menuhotsel=brightred,b lack:dnormal=black,white:dfocus=white,lightgray:dh otnormal=yellow,white:dhotfocus=brightred,lightgra y:editnormal=lightgray,black:editmarked=yellow,whi te

    Mark

    --
    RLU#81547
    * Midnight Commander