Wake up and stop behaving like children! - KDE

This is a discussion on Wake up and stop behaving like children! - KDE ; ************************************************** ***************** This is my joint response to many of the comments I have received in response to my single comment first made on this forum and other forums today See comp.windows.x.kde, Get Real!!!. Your belief that I am ...

  1. Wake up and stop behaving like children!

    This is my joint response to many of the comments I have received in
    response to my single comment first made on this forum and other
    forums today See comp.windows.x.kde, Get Real!!!.

    Your belief that I am your enemy (also known as a "Windows Troll"
    apparently) is mistaken, misguided and even suspicious. Your responses
    do nothing to promote the just cause of advocating the installation
    and use of alternative operating systems such as Linux. Instead they
    discriminate against those who either innocently seek information or
    are somewhat new to IT (noobie as you like to call it).

    I began teaching IT ten years ago and my goal has always been to cut
    through the crap and bring the benefits of computing to all (despite
    the lessons to be learnt from The Matrix, AI and of course Terminator
    don't laugh you know it's quite likely to happen).

    Yes, unsurprisingly, the world I was innocently introduced to was the
    world of Microsoft Windows (3.1 back then). Here I am, ten years
    later, attempting to break into the world of experienced and qualified
    IT support which I have been moving towards for the past 4 years.

    I would hope that it is not a surprise to you that this involves
    supporting Microsoft Windows XP simply because this is the main
    operating system that nearly every employer in my region of the world
    runs on their desktop.

    The fact that this is the case is has nothing whatsoever to do with my
    choice. It is the IT world which I have been born into.

    This leads me to my original posting under this article where I
    attempted to be given reasons why alternative operating systems are
    worth pursuing. Don't tell me that this was in any way provocative.
    Consider what I have already told you. Then read it again. Tell me you
    still don't understand?

    Instead, (in most cases but not all thankfully), I have been insulted
    and completely pushed away from any positive thoughts toward
    alternative operating systems and the "so-called" community which
    advocates to supports it.

    Call me a troll or whatever you like. I know the truth. If you don't
    want to believe me than put it down to ignorance. Let's face it,
    you're likely to do one of the two aren't you?

    My conclusion to this sad day is that although alternative operating
    systems still have some serious issues to overcome, some of the worst
    may originate from the users who supposedly support it.

    Thank you to those who were constructive and compromising. Shame on
    the rest of you. You know who you are. Make your choice and live with
    it.

    I'm signing out. I won't be posting anymore. Be good.

    Love you all anyway!

    Josh (Windows Troll? I'd never heard of that term before today),

    SORRY I DON'T HAVE TIME TO REPLY TO ANY FURTHER RESPONSES

    I APPRECIATE THOSE WHO HAVE MADE A SINCERE EFFORT

  2. Re: Wake up and stop behaving like children!

    Josh wrote:

    > ************************************************** *****************
    >
    > This is my joint response to many of the comments I have received in
    > response to my single comment first made on this forum and other
    > forums today See comp.windows.x.kde, Get Real!!!.
    >
    > Your belief that I am your enemy (also known as a "Windows Troll"
    > apparently) is mistaken, misguided and even suspicious.

    We're just having fun, Josh. Really! Show us your Acronyms of Accomplishment.

    > Your responses
    > do nothing to promote the just cause of advocating the installation
    > and use of alternative operating systems such as Linux.

    Why should anyone advocate installing an 'alternative' operating system? What
    the hell IS an alternative operating system? What's the point? Got a dollar for
    me?

    > Instead they
    > discriminate against those who either innocently seek information or
    > are somewhat new to IT (noobie as you like to call it).

    ....or are spouting opinions. This is a forum, you know. Banter back and forth --
    to and fro -- hither and yon.

    > I began teaching IT ten years ago and my goal has always been to cut
    > through the crap and bring the benefits of computing to all (despite
    > the lessons to be learnt from The Matrix, AI and of course Terminator
    > don't laugh you know it's quite likely to happen).
    >
    > Yes, unsurprisingly, the world I was innocently introduced to was the
    > world of Microsoft Windows (3.1 back then). Here I am, ten years
    > later, attempting to break into the world of experienced and qualified
    > IT support which I have been moving towards for the past 4 years.
    >
    > I would hope that it is not a surprise to you that this involves
    > supporting Microsoft Windows XP simply because this is the main
    > operating system that nearly every employer in my region of the world
    > runs on their desktop.

    So? What's wrong about learning other ways of doing things -- just for fun. Just
    because it is there. There is a world beyond IT support and that is sometimes
    called Systems Analyst. They get to lead. Their interests are piqued by
    computing. They aren't beaten by a silly Linux Distro. They are scholars. They
    have balls. Thay have ovaries.

    > The fact that this is the case is has nothing whatsoever to do with my
    > choice. It is the IT world which I have been born into.
    >
    > This leads me to my original posting under this article where I
    > attempted to be given reasons why alternative operating systems are
    > worth pursuing. Don't tell me that this was in any way provocative.
    > Consider what I have already told you. Then read it again. Tell me you
    > still don't understand?
    >
    > Instead, (in most cases but not all thankfully), I have been insulted
    > and completely pushed away from any positive thoughts toward
    > alternative operating systems and the "so-called" community which
    > advocates to supports it.

    See? Linux wins everytime!

    > Call me a troll or whatever you like. I know the truth. If you don't
    > want to believe me than put it down to ignorance. Let's face it,
    > you're likely to do one of the two aren't you?
    >
    > My conclusion to this sad day is that although alternative operating
    > systems still have some serious issues to overcome, some of the worst
    > may originate from the users who supposedly support it.

    Bad attitudes? And you call yourself a teacher? Was I correct that you wrote: "I
    began teaching IT ten years ago"? How pathetic. How can you teach when you know
    nothing?

    > Thank you to those who were constructive and compromising. Shame on
    > the rest of you.

    Shame gladly accepted, Captian sir!!

    > You know who you are. Make your choice and live with
    > it.
    >
    > I'm signing out. I won't be posting anymore. Be good.
    >
    > Love you all anyway!
    >
    > Josh (Windows Troll? I'd never heard of that term before today),

    We getta lot of 'em.

    > ************************************************** *****************
    >
    > SORRY I DON'T HAVE TIME TO REPLY TO ANY FURTHER RESPONSES
    >
    > I APPRECIATE THOSE WHO HAVE MADE A SINCERE EFFORT
    >
    > ************************************************** *****************

  3. Re: Wake up and stop behaving like children!

    Josh wrote:

    So Josh, you have two threads you've started now. One is entitled, "Get
    Real"; the other one is "Wake up and stop behaving like children!"

    You complain that people have been hostile to you. If you think about your
    tone in these two threads, you may find a clue to this hostility.

    In the first post, you use an insulting subject line, "Get Real"; this
    implies that people here are not real, that they are either dishonest or
    deluded. If you walk into a room of strangers and say this, they will tend
    to have a dim view of you, because it is an insult. In essence, this is
    what you did - you walked into a crowd of strangers and told them all that
    they were deluded or lying. That was for hello.

    Second, your post exactly follows a format that is commonly used by trolls,
    as I noted in another post in that thread. True - the mere fact that you
    behave in a manner identical to many hundreds of trolls, does not prove
    that you yourself are a troll. Just like the guy who has $20,000,000.00
    (USD) in Nigeria might really be in a bind, and have found your
    confidential address because you are trustworthy, and could you help him
    get the money out of the country for 30% of it? Sure, all those *other*
    guys are running the Nigerian 419 scam, but this one's legit... and so,
    maybe you're legit, despite all appearances to the contrary.

    Now you're all upset and repeatedly posting the identical text, both in the
    like children, that Linux has deficiencies because of guys like "us", and
    so on. You have left discussion, and have turned to the ever-popular "ad
    hominem" argument.

    All of your behavior is entirely consistent with a troll. Maybe you're not
    really a troll, but you've passed the "duck test". You walk like a troll,
    talk like a troll, act like a troll; how are "we" to tell the difference
    from a real troll?

    I'll point out that you didn't come here to ask a question about KDE, nor to
    offer constructive comments about it. You simply claimed to have tried it
    for a week, and to have found it wanting (and then offered another insult
    to those who might disagree with you).

    What did you expect? What sort of response were you looking for? What sort
    of response did you think you'd get, with such inflammatory rhetoric as
    yours? Maybe you thought we'd all say, "Gee, you're right Josh, it's
    Windows for us from now on". Apparently, not many people chose that route.
    Did you ask *why* people stick with KDE? No. Oh, you presented your
    opinion in the form of a question, but it wasn't a serious question. It
    was a rhetorical device to get a point across. You said, "I'd love to hear
    comments on this issue as I am so baffled as to why this has to be like
    this. It's apalling(sic)!" Actually, you weren't the least bit interested
    in hearing comments; you simply wanted to get your own opinion across, with
    that final insult.

    Your comments would have been more appropriate in one of the advocacy
    groups, such as comp.os.linux.advocacy. Maybe they'd like to hear your
    pearls of wisdom... have fun.

    > ************************************************** *****************
    >
    > SORRY I DON'T HAVE TIME TO REPLY TO ANY FURTHER RESPONSES
    >
    > I APPRECIATE THOSE WHO HAVE MADE A SINCERE EFFORT
    >
    > ************************************************** *****************

    Yet you have time to continue to post this repeatedly. Why do I find you
    hard to believe?

    --
    Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

  4. Re: Wake up and stop behaving like children!

    Josh nothing personal but, you should spend a little more time than "a
    couple of days" on something before you think about making such ignorant
    comments....just a thought.

    The reason why so many people ridiculed you is because it was apparent that
    you really did not know too much about what you were saying. Next time,
    spend a little more time on something before making such bold
    statements...I come from both Windows and UNIX (for over 15 years now) and
    after reading your posts I too laughed....sorry but, I am telling the
    truth...

    Josh wrote:

> [...]
    > want to believe me than put it down to ignorance. Let's face it,
    > you're likely to do one of the two aren't you?
    >
    > My conclusion to this sad day is that although alternative operating
    > systems still have some serious issues to overcome, some of the worst
    > may originate from the users who supposedly support it.
    >
    > Thank you to those who were constructive and compromising. Shame on
    > the rest of you. You know who you are. Make your choice and live with
    > it.
    >
    > I'm signing out. I won't be posting anymore. Be good.
    >
    > Love you all anyway!
    >
    > Josh (Windows Troll? I'd never heard of that term before today),

    > ************************************************** *****************
    >
    > SORRY I DON'T HAVE TIME TO REPLY TO ANY FURTHER RESPONSES
    >
    > I APPRECIATE THOSE WHO HAVE MADE A SINCERE EFFORT

  5. Re: Wake up and stop behaving like children!

    On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 01:50:45 +0000, Maximust wrote:

    > We're just having fun, Josh. Really! Show us your Acronyms of Accomplishment.

    I've always been partial to my WFA - Whole F*cking Alphabet. :-)

  6. Re: Wake up and stop behaving like children!

    On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 17:06:04 -0800, Josh wrote:

    > ************************************************** *****************
    >
    > This is my joint response to many of the comments I have received in
    > response to my single comment

    And this also has bee posted in other groups. You're trolling.

    > I began teaching IT ten years ago

    > Yes, unsurprisingly, the world I was innocently introduced to was the
    > world of Microsoft Windows (3.1 back then).

    I see, so you began teaching IT at the time you *started* using
    Windows? What did you learn before you were teaching? It couldn't have
    been UNIX, or you'd have known how to use linux. You're not very
    pausible, but there again you're trolling, & you can't expect a troll to
    be plausible.

+ Reply to Thread