Repost: Screensaver & Theme lists - KDE

This is a discussion on Repost: Screensaver & Theme lists - KDE ; (Repost - no replies on original post) Howdy all. First, the config: Slackware 10.0 on an AMD Athalon 2500+, 512RAM, GeForce 5200FX video, 120Gig Hard drive. KDE 3.3.2 (problem report below also occurred in 3.3.1). The problem: One of my ...

  1. Repost: Screensaver & Theme lists

    (Repost - no replies on original post)

    Howdy all.

    First, the config:

    Slackware 10.0 on an AMD Athalon 2500+, 512RAM, GeForce 5200FX video, 120Gig
    Hard drive.

    KDE 3.3.2 (problem report below also occurred in 3.3.1).

    The problem:

    One of my user accounts, call it UserA, has a blank list when trying to view
    the Screen Savers or the Themes in the Appearance & Themes Control Center.

    Other related info - Another user account, call it UserB, can see and use
    the Screen Savers and Themes. So can the root account.

    UserA and UserB are of the same group (users). UserA and UserB are both
    using tcsh, with no local shell config files/scripts in the home directory.

    Now, UserA can execute all of the KDE Screen Savers from the command line.
    UserA can also execute xscreensaver modules installed, using kxsrun from the
    command line, as well as configuring them with kxsconfig.

    Here is what I have tried to solve this little problem to no avail:

    * Removed all of the related KDE user settings in UserA's home directory
    (.kde/, .kderc, .mcop/, .qt/, .font/, .config/). A bit overkill, but I gave
    it a try.

    * Removed all of UserA's files/directories in /tmp and /var/tmp. Flushed
    all other temporary files as well.

    * Changed the login shell of UserA and UserB to bash. UserA had empty lists,
    UserB still had complete lists.

    * Created another user account, UserC. Fired up X with KDE. Mirrored
    UserA's settings in the initial configuration screens. UserC can see the
    Screen Savers and Theme lists.

    Now I'm stumped. Has anyone else had the problem of one user account not
    being able to see Theme and Screen Saver lists in KDE 3.3.x?

    Any ideas on how to fix this?

    --

    ----------
    My e-mail address is not that colorful.

  2. Re: Repost: Screensaver & Theme lists

    Adam Lussier wrote:

    > (Repost - no replies on original post)

    Are you sure you renamed/removed the whole .kde folder out of the users home
    directory?? This causes a total reinstall of default kde settings for that
    user, just like a new account so it should then have had the listings.

    The only things I can suggest is also remove /.kde3 folder if it exists
    (some distros have used diff names.
    Delete any .menu or .conf files in the users home and restart X.

    --
    regards,
    andrew

  3. Re: Repost: Screensaver & Theme lists

    Howdy.

    On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 09:13:34 GMT, Andrew Kar wrote:
    > Are you sure you renamed/removed the whole .kde folder out of the users home
    > directory?? This causes a total reinstall of default kde settings for that
    > user, just like a new account so it should then have had the listings.
    >
    > The only things I can suggest is also remove /.kde3 folder if it exists
    > (some distros have used diff names.
    > Delete any .menu or .conf files in the users home and restart X.

    Yup. Positive I removed the .kde directory. At first I moved it to root's
    directory for backup. After the tests failed, I deleted it, along with
    anything else relating to KDE that I could find in the user's home directory.

    This problem has been posted before. I found a few other people that have
    the same problem, and I haven't found any follow-ups with solutions.
    Actually, there is one solution. When this happened in 3.3.1, I removed the
    entire KDE tree, including all ~/.kde files. Reinstalled KDE. After all of
    that, all users could see the screen saver and theme lists.

    Not sure what is getting broken, or why a complete renewal of the KDE tree
    would fix the problem. Or why it is only the Themes and screen savers. I
    did double check all of the permissions in the KDE tree. Everything is
    fine - root:root rwxr-x-rx on directories and executables, read only, at
    the user level, on other files.

    Any other thoughts are welcome.

    Thanks!

    -Adam