Get real!!! - KDE

This is a discussion on Get real!!! - KDE ; I am a trained, experienced and qualified Microsoft technician. I support the cause of open software, especially where operating systems are concerned. Microsoft receive more than their fair share of complaints regarding the complexity and stability involved with both installing ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

  1. Get real!!!

    I am a trained, experienced and qualified Microsoft technician. I
    support the cause of open software, especially where operating systems
    are concerned.

    Microsoft receive more than their fair share of complaints regarding
    the complexity and stability involved with both installing and using
    Windows XP.

    In fairness, I recently decided to evaluate open source operating
    systems and settled on a closer look at Fedora 3 and KDE (as an
    attractive offering). Having spent the last week doing so, I have come
    to the conclusion that I'm barking up the wrong tree. The complexity
    of information regarding the choices to be made and the installtion
    procedures are astounding and to be quite honest I am astonished that
    open source developers are at all surprised that Windows XP dominates
    the market.

    The many interfaces look great, but as far as ease of use and choice
    goes, the Microsoft route in comparison is far easier to work with. If
    you don't agree with this, I can only conclude that you must be one of
    those users who spends far too much time playing with the complexities
    of computing rather than using them for practical reasons in the real
    world.

    Don't get me wrong. I'm not slagging anyone off here. I fully support
    he concept of open source software and would love to see Bill Gates
    given a run for his money. But after just a few days of research, I
    can only conclude that Bill Gates must be quietly laughing to himself
    to see that his competition have no chance whatsoever. Yes, the server
    market may be a slight battle but...

    I'd love to hear comments on this issue as I am so baffled as to why
    this has to be like this. It's apalling!

    Josh.

  2. Re: Get real!!!

    On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 03:27:38 -0800, Josh wrote:

    > I'd love to hear comments on this issue as I am so baffled as to why
    > this has to be like this. It's apalling!

    Not enough information in your post to comment. Why Fedora? Which version?
    What were your needs? I'm certain others will have their questions.

  3. Re: Get real!!!

    Why not Fedora? I spent a day looking for a suitable free OS to
    download. This one seemed to be suitable. I could have spent all year
    if I had looked at every option and flavour.

    Again, I would point out that the average new PC user does not have the
    time and resources to do this.

    As for Mandrake taking 20 mins to install, this does not disprove the
    point I'm trying to make. I'm not trying to deliberately stir up a
    hornets nest and I'm sure everyone has a different opinion on their own
    chosen OS and flavour. Would you argue that my brief introduction to
    the world of alternative operating systems is flawed? My knowledge is
    considerably more than the average PC user. If you don't agree with
    this, I would make the point that too many people are assuming that all
    PC users are techies. They are not.

    Keep it going though. I am genuinely interested in your opinions.

    Shortly, I hope to be a MCDST (MS Certified Desktop Technician). I need
    a justified opinon on this subject. I'd hate to be seen as one of
    Bill's buddies without a good argument.

    LOL!

    Josh.

  4. Re: Get real!!!

    No registry - that's a good point! I concur.

  5. Re: Get real!!!

    On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 03:27:38 -0800, Josh wrote:

    Please don't feed the trolls.

    --
    Munging lets the terrorists win...

    http://www.interhack.net/pubs/munging-harmful/

  6. Re: Get real!!!

    On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 06:08:01 -0800, nicedreams@gmail.com wrote:

    > Again, I would point out that the average new PC user does not have the
    > time and resources to do this.

    The "average" user is never presented with the choice.

    > Shortly, I hope to be a MCDST (MS Certified Desktop Technician). I need
    > a justified opinon on this subject.

    I fail to see the connection. If you're *actually* interested in Linux?
    There are plenty of resources that explain it's various aspects.

  7. Re: Get real!!!

    Josh scribbled:

    > Microsoft receive more than their fair share of complaints regarding
    > the complexity and stability involved with both installing and using
    > Windows XP.

    [...]

    > I'd love to hear comments on this issue as I am so baffled as to why
    > this has to be like this. It's apalling!

    Whenever you try to do something resource expensive on your XP system,
    you will notice how difficult it is to run more than that one
    process. I see this everyday. When I compile a large project (C/C++),
    the computer becomes almost unusable. The process scheduling just
    sucks.

    There is also a problem with all the viruses and trojans. You can try
    this: install a clean windows XP system and connect it to the
    Internet. In a few minutes, it will be infected and is already
    spreading to the next innocent victim.

    To get the best of two worlds, I suggest you try a new Mac. They are
    increadible! Mac OS X is probably the most elegant and usable user
    interface ever created, and the whole thing runs with FreeBSD in the
    background :-)

    --
    Daniel

  8. Re: Get real!!!

    Josh wrote:

    > I am a trained, experienced and qualified Microsoft technician.

    But what are your Acronyms of Attribute? Real 'qualified Microsoft technicians'
    always use their Acronyms of Attribute. Are you an MCDST? How about MCDST (I
    wonder who really sponsors these funny trolls)?

    > support the cause of open software, especially where operating systems
    > are concerned.

    Standard disclaimer.

    > Microsoft receive more than their fair share of complaints regarding
    > the complexity and stability involved with both installing and using
    > Windows XP.

    They don't receive enough complaints because many don't bother to complain about
    them.

    > In fairness, I recently decided to evaluate open source operating
    > systems and settled on a closer look at Fedora 3 and KDE (as an
    > attractive offering). Having spent the last week doing so, I have come
    > to the conclusion that I'm barking up the wrong tree. The complexity
    > of information regarding the choices to be made and the installtion
    > procedures are astounding and to be quite honest I am astonished that
    > open source developers are at all surprised that Windows XP dominates
    > the market.

    What?!? You didn't get a new computer with Fedora PRE-INSTALLED? No wonder
    you're so confused.

    > The many interfaces look great, but as far as ease of use and choice
    > goes, the Microsoft route in comparison is far easier to work with. If
    > you don't agree with this, I can only conclude that you must be one of
    > those users who spends far too much time playing with the complexities
    > of computing rather than using them for practical reasons in the real
    > world.
    >
    > Don't get me wrong. I'm not slagging anyone off here. I fully support
    > he concept of open source software and would love to see Bill Gates
    > given a run for his money. But after just a few days of research, I
    > can only conclude that Bill Gates must be quietly laughing to himself
    > to see that his competition have no chance whatsoever. Yes, the server
    > market may be a slight battle but...
    >
    > I'd love to hear comments on this issue as I am so baffled as to why
    > this has to be like this. It's apalling!
    >
    > Josh.

  9. Re: Get real!!!

    This is my joint response to many of the comments I have received in
    response to my single comment first made on this forum earlier today.

    Your belief that I am your enemy (also known as a "Windows Troll"
    apparently) is mistaken, misguided and even suspicious. Your responses
    do nothing to promote the just cause of advocating the installation and
    use of alternative operating systems such as Linux. Instead they
    discriminate against those who either innocently seek information or
    are somewhat new to IT (noobie as you like to call it).

    I began teaching IT ten years ago and my goal has always been to cut
    through the crap and bring the benefits of computing to all (despite
    the lessons to be learnt from The Matrix, AI and of course Terminator
    - don't laugh - you know it's quite likely to happen).

    Yes, unsurprisingly, the world I was innocently introduced to was the
    world of Microsoft Windows (3.1 back then). Here I am, ten years later,
    attempting to break into the world of experienced and qualified IT
    support which I have been moving towards for the past 4 years.

    I would hope that it is not a surprise to you that this involves
    supporting Microsoft Windows XP simply because this is the main
    operating system that nearly every employer in my region of the world
    runs on their desktop.

    The fact that this is the case is has nothing whatsoever to do with my
    choice. It is the IT world which I have been born into.

    This leads me to my original posting under this article where I
    attempted to be given reasons why alternative operating systems are
    worth pursuing. Don't tell me that this was in any way provocative.
    Consider what I have already told you. Then read it again. Tell me you
    still don't understand?

    Instead, (in most cases but not all thankfully), I have been insulted
    and completely pushed away from any positive thoughts toward
    alternative operating systems and the "so-called" community which
    advocates to supports it.

    Call me a troll or whatever you like. I know the truth. If you don't
    want to believe me than put it down to ignorance. Let's face it,
    you're likely to do one of the two aren't you?

    My conclusion to this sad day is that although alternative operating
    systems still have some serious issues to overcome, some of the worst
    may originate from the users who supposedly support it.

    Thank you to those who were constructive and compromising. Shame on the
    rest of you. You know who you are. Make your choice and live with it.

    I'm signing out. I won't be posting anymore. Be good.

    Love you all anyway!

    Josh (Windows Troll? - I'd never heard of that term before today),

    SORRY I DON'T HAVE TIME TO REPLY TO ANY FURTHER RESPONSES

    I APPRECIATE THOSE WHO HAVE MADE A SINCERE EFFORT

  10. Re: Get real!!!

[...]

  11. Re: Get real!!!

[...]

  12. Re: Get real!!!

    Thanks for your comments.

    Josh.

  13. Re: Get real!!!

    I'm not sure.

  14. Re: Get real!!!

    In comp.windows.x.kde, nicedreams@gmail.com uttered these immortal words:

    > Your belief that I am your enemy (also known as a "Windows Troll"
    > apparently) is mistaken, misguided and even suspicious. Your responses
    > do nothing to promote the just cause of advocating the installation and
    > use of alternative operating systems such as Linux. Instead they
    > discriminate against those who either innocently seek information or
    > are somewhat new to IT (noobie as you like to call it).

    Ok. Let me give you the benefit of the doubt and accept that you posted in
    good faith. You say you aren't aware that wintrolls post to Linux
    newsgroups to stir up arguments. Unfortunately the "tone" they set in their
    posts and the sort of comments they make are almost exactly the same as
    your post. Just look at the subject line you chose for God's sake! That
    just screams "troll" to anyone who has been around the groups for any
    length of time!

    I (generally) ignore what I perceive to be a troll, some toy with them, some
    set them straight so newbies reading these groups are duped and others rise
    to the bait hence the reaction you got.

    Given the above maybe you can appreciate why people jumped all over you.
    Trolls spoil these groups (and Windows, Mac and other groups to some
    extent) for everyone.

    Plenty of newbies receive help in these groups. Plenty of people get their
    opinion across without sounding like trolls.

    --
    Andy.

  15. Re: Get real!!!

    Josh wrote:

    > I am a trained, experienced and qualified Microsoft technician. I
    > support the cause of open software, especially where operating systems
    > are concerned.

    I'm a trained, experienced bluff caller, and you've just been called.

    --
    "I marry Calculon, divorce him, take half his money, and turn back into a
    guy - it's sort of a two-person pyramid scheme." --Bender

  16. Re: Get real!!!

    nicedreams@gmail.com wrote:

    Not too bad, you might actually convince someone. (Mostly those with Down
    Syndrome, though)

    --
    "I marry Calculon, divorce him, take half his money, and turn back into a
    guy - it's sort of a two-person pyramid scheme." --Bender

  17. Re: Get real!!!

    Jim wrote:

    Jim, I'm sorry, I'm going to have to disagree with you here. Microsoft
    didn't buy all of its innovative products. You're just plain wrong. They
    stole some of it, too...

    --
    "The last time somebody said, `I find I can write much better with a
    word processor.', I replied, `They used to say the same thing about

  18. Re: Get real!!!

    nicedreams@gmail.com wrote:

    > ************************************************** *****************
    >
    > This is my joint response to many of the comments I have received in
    > response to my single comment first made on this forum earlier today.
    >
    > Your belief that I am your enemy (also known as a "Windows Troll"
    > apparently) is mistaken, misguided and even suspicious. Your responses
    > do nothing to promote the just cause of advocating the installation and
    > use of alternative operating systems such as Linux. Instead they
    > discriminate against those who either innocently seek information or
    > are somewhat new to IT (noobie as you like to call it).

    Well, Josh, it's like this. Speaking for myself, I have seen several
    hundred posts in Linux NG's, starting out with, "I'm a Microsoft ____, and
    I like Open Source. I tried Linux ______ for a day/week/month, and I can't
    understand why anyone would use it. It's too _______". Fill in the blanks
    with whatever you want. It's a template that is repeated endlessly, so
    when I see posts in this form, I simply chalk it off as a troll.

    > Call me a troll or whatever you like. I know the truth. If you don't

    OK. You're a troll.

    > want to believe me than put it down to ignorance. Let's face it,
    > you're likely to do one of the two aren't you?

    You're not very credible, Josh.

    > My conclusion to this sad day is that although alternative operating
    > systems still have some serious issues to overcome, some of the worst
    > may originate from the users who supposedly support it.

    Ah, yes. Come here, troll, get your bottom kicked, and run away claiming
    it's all our fault for using Linux.

    Linux has serious issues to overcome, true. It's not perfect, and never
    will be, because this is an imperfect world. But it's a damned sight
    better than Windows ever was, and unless one or the other OS has a major
    change, it will remain better. It is more stable and more secure, period -
    and that's not entirely due to the lack of numbers hacking on it.

    > Thank you to those who were constructive and compromising. Shame on the
    > rest of you. You know who you are. Make your choice and live with it.

    Yes, I know who I am. And so do you, Josh. Shame on you for trotting out
    this tired old routine yet again.

    > I'm signing out. I won't be posting anymore. Be good.

    Don't let the door hit you, Josh. Perhaps you could learn something about
    computers, and then give Linux another try. Most people don't need to do
    this, but... everyone has different abilities.

    > Love you all anyway!
    >
    > Josh (Windows Troll? - I'd never heard of that term before today),

    > ************************************************** *****************
    >
    > SORRY I DON'T HAVE TIME TO REPLY TO ANY FURTHER RESPONSES
    >
    > I APPRECIATE THOSE WHO HAVE MADE A SINCERE EFFORT
    > ************************************************** *****************

    Thanks. My effort came straight from the heart...

    --
    God is a comic playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh.

  19. Re: Get real!!!

    DanielEKFA scribbled:

    > nicedreams@gmail.com wrote:
    >

    > Not too bad, you might actually convince someone. (Mostly those with
    > Down Syndrome, though)

    Do you really think this comment is appropriate? Remember that
    everything you post to the usenet is archived, probably longer than
    your entire lifetime.

    --
    Daniel

  20. Re: Get real!!!

    Daniel Lidström wrote:

    > DanielEKFA scribbled:
    >
    >> nicedreams@gmail.com wrote:
    >>

    >> Not too bad, you might actually convince someone. (Mostly those with
    >> Down Syndrome, though)
    >>

    > Do you really think this comment is appropriate? Remember that
    > everything you post to the usenet is archived, probably longer than
    > your entire lifetime.

    A permanent blemish on an otherwise perfect record!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast