knode - floating header viewer - KDE

This is a discussion on knode - floating header viewer - KDE ; Hi, I accidentally closed header viewer by clicking X on the right upper corner. Now I have floating header and article viewer but I can't make them redock into the main window so that I can have three viewers in ...

  1. knode - floating header viewer

    Hi, I accidentally closed header viewer by clicking X on the right upper
    corner. Now I have floating header and article viewer but I can't make them
    redock into the main window so that I can have three viewers in one plane.

    I could not make it work and finally had to set up another user and start
    all over again. What did I do wrong and what could I have done to restore
    the the default viewers?

  2. Re: knode - floating header viewer

    rod rook wrote:

    > Hi, I accidentally closed header viewer by clicking X on the right upper
    > corner. Now I have floating header and article viewer but I can't make
    > them redock into the main window so that I can have three viewers in one
    > plane.
    >
    > I could not make it work and finally had to set up another user and start
    > all over again. What did I do wrong and what could I have done to restore
    > the the default viewers?

    Oh, no. You got me testing it and I now have the same problem. I'll try to
    find a solution and see if you beat me to it.

    Roy

    --
    Roy Schestowitz
    http://schestowitz.com

  3. Re: knode - floating header viewer

    rod rook wrote:

    > Hi, I accidentally closed header viewer by clicking X on the right upper
    > corner. Now I have floating header and article viewer but I can't make
    > them redock into the main window so that I can have three viewers in one
    > plane.
    >
    > I could not make it work and finally had to set up another user and start
    > all over again. What did I do wrong and what could I have done to restore
    > the the default viewers?

    Got it again! Settings -> SHow Header View (or CTRL+H)

    Roy

    --
    Roy Schestowitz
    http://schestowitz.com

  4. Re: knode - floating header viewer

    rod rook wrote:

    > Hi, I accidentally closed header viewer by clicking X on the right upper
    > corner. Now I have floating header and article viewer but I can't make
    > them redock into the main window so that I can have three viewers in one
    > plane.
    >
    > I could not make it work and finally had to set up another user and start
    > all over again. What did I do wrong and what could I have done to restore
    > the the default viewers?

    Got it again! Settings -> Show Header View (or CTRL+H)

    Roy

    --
    Roy Schestowitz
    http://schestowitz.com

  5. Re: knode - floating header viewer

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > rod rook wrote:
    >
    >> Hi, I accidentally closed header viewer by clicking X on the right upper
    >> corner. Now I have floating header and article viewer but I can't make
    >> them redock into the main window so that I can have three viewers in one
    >> plane.
    >>
    >> I could not make it work and finally had to set up another user and start
    >> all over again. What did I do wrong and what could I have done to restore
    >> the the default viewers?

    > Got it again! Settings -> Show Header View (or CTRL+H)
    >
    > Roy

    But did you get a three pane window instead of a main window and a floating
    one?

  6. Re: knode - floating header viewer

    rod rook wrote:

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> rod rook wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi, I accidentally closed header viewer by clicking X on the right upper
    >>> corner. Now I have floating header and article viewer but I can't make
    >>> them redock into the main window so that I can have three viewers in one
    >>> plane.
    >>>
    >>> I could not make it work and finally had to set up another user and
    >>> start all over again. What did I do wrong and what could I have done to
    >>> restore the the default viewers?

    >> Got it again! Settings -> Show Header View (or CTRL+H)
    >>
    >> Roy
    >>

    > But did you get a three pane window instead of a main window and a
    > floating one?

    Yes. I _closed_ the header view (and group view). Pressing the menu item I
    mention put it right back into place.

    Tried it again just now... works fine. KNode 0.7.2.

    Roy

    --
    Roy Schestowitz
    http://schestowitz.com

  7. Re: knode - floating header viewer

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > rod rook wrote:
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >>> Got it again! Settings -> Show Header View (or CTRL+H)
    >>>
    >>> Roy
    >>>

    >> But did you get a three pane window instead of a main window and a
    >> floating one?

    > Yes. I _closed_ the header view (and group view). Pressing the menu item I
    > mention put it right back into place.
    >
    > Tried it again just now... works fine. KNode 0.7.2.
    >
    > Roy

    Thanks, Roy. It took some trial to figure out what menu item you were
    talking about. Now I know you were talking about those three minute dots on
    the top borders of each view pane. By pressing and holding them, one can
    move the corressponding pane and redock it into a desired place.

    Very neat design, isn't it.

    rod

  8. Re: knode - floating header viewer

    rod rook wrote:

    > Hi, I accidentally closed header viewer by clicking X on the right upper
    > corner. Now I have floating header and article viewer but I can't make
    > them redock into the main window so that I can have three viewers in one
    > plane.
    >
    > I could not make it work and finally had to set up another user and start
    > all over again. What did I do wrong and what could I have done to restore
    > the the default viewers?

    I just tried it. I was able to retrieve the old view by using the menu
    option Settings | Show Header View (Ctrl + H).

    When I had problems with a floating pane in KNode, I found I could dock the
    offending window by it and then choosing Ctrl + H to give me back the
    header view. That caused this window to reappear in a docked state.

    --
    To generalize is to be an idiot.
    -- William Blake

  9. Re: knode - floating header viewer

    rod rook wrote:

    > Hi, I accidentally closed header viewer by clicking X on the right upper
    > corner. Now I have floating header and article viewer but I can't make
    > them redock into the main window so that I can have three viewers in one
    > plane.
    >
    > I could not make it work and finally had to set up another user and start
    > all over again. What did I do wrong and what could I have done to restore
    > the the default viewers?

    I just tried it. I was able to retrieve the old view by using the menu
    option Settings | Show Header View (Ctrl + H).

    When I had problems with a floating pane in KNode, I found I could dock the
    offending window by closing it and then choosing Ctrl + H to give me back
    the
    header view. That caused this window to reappear in a docked state.

    --
    To generalize is to be an idiot.
    -- William Blake

  10. Re: knode - floating header viewer

    rod rook wrote:

    > I could not make it work and finally had to set up another user and start
    > all over again. What did I do wrong and what could I have done to restore
    > the the default viewers?

    You've got to be very careful where you drop the windows when you're doing the
    re-docking. Look at the "shadow" drop target when you release the window --
    to re-dock in the right place, you've got to drop either in the centre of the
    target window or towards one of the edges, depending on exactly what you want
    to do. Sometimes you have to resize both windows so the one you're dragging
    back is significantly smaller than the one you're dropping onto, otherwise it
    doesn't dock properly.

    Cheers,

    Matt

    --
    "It's the small gaps between the rain that count,
    and learning how to live amongst them."

+ Reply to Thread