opening new files in the same instance of an application - KDE

This is a discussion on opening new files in the same instance of an application - KDE ; Hello all, Here's the situation I am facing. I have a program (specifically, JMP by SAS, a statistical analysis package) which I use to open JMP tables (files with an extension of .jmp). So far, pretty easy. But here is ...

  1. opening new files in the same instance of an application

    Hello all,

    Here's the situation I am facing. I have a program (specifically, JMP
    by SAS, a statistical analysis package) which I use to open JMP tables
    (files with an extension of .jmp). So far, pretty easy. But here is
    the thing.

    JMP can open multiple files within one instance of the program (i.e.,
    it supports internal windows). If you open multiple instances of JMP,
    they end up being somewhat heavy and end up consuming a lot of
    resources on your system. So my question is the following: is there a
    way to open a new instance of JMP for just the first file, and then
    direct the KDE to somehow make all subsequent .jmp files open as
    subwindows in that first invocation of the software?

    Thanks for any advice.

    Boris.

  2. Re: opening new files in the same instance of an application

    Boris Epstein wrote:

    > Here's the situation I am facing. I have a program (specifically, JMP
    > by SAS, a statistical analysis package) which I use to open JMP tables
    > (files with an extension of .jmp). So far, pretty easy. But here is
    > the thing.
    >
    > JMP can open multiple files within one instance of the program (i.e.,
    > it supports internal windows). If you open multiple instances of JMP,
    > they end up being somewhat heavy and end up consuming a lot of
    > resources on your system. So my question is the following: is there a
    > way to open a new instance of JMP for just the first file, and then
    > direct the KDE to somehow make all subsequent .jmp files open as
    > subwindows in that first invocation of the software?

    If you can call JMP so that it opens a given file in an existing
    instance you can use that call to open files with in KDE. If JMP
    doesn't offer such a call you can't do that.

    Florian