krdc error when trying to connect - KDE

This is a discussion on krdc error when trying to connect - KDE ; I get the following error when trying to connect to a remote desktop: "An error occurred while scanning the network." Googling doesn't help much. Using a command line tool such as xtightvncviewer works ok. Any ideas on what I might ...

  1. krdc error when trying to connect

    I get the following error when trying to connect to a remote desktop:
    "An error occurred while scanning the network."

    Googling doesn't help much. Using a command line tool such as
    xtightvncviewer works ok. Any ideas on what I might be missing?

    --
    Geoff Registered Linux user 196308
    Replace bitbucket with geoff to mail me.

  2. Re: krdc error when trying to connect

    Geoffrey Clements wrote:
    > I get the following error when trying to connect to a remote desktop:
    > "An error occurred while scanning the network."
    >
    > Googling doesn't help much. Using a command line tool such as
    > xtightvncviewer works ok. Any ideas on what I might be missing?

    Why don't you try the rdesktop command?
    i.e. rdesktop

  3. Re: krdc error when trying to connect

    Ramon wrote:

    > Geoffrey Clements wrote:
    >> I get the following error when trying to connect to a remote desktop:
    >> "An error occurred while scanning the network."
    >>
    >> Googling doesn't help much. Using a command line tool such as
    >> xtightvncviewer works ok. Any ideas on what I might be missing?
    >>

    > Why don't you try the rdesktop command?
    > i.e. rdesktop

    That's just the same as running xtightvncviewer or vncviewer but doesn't
    help find out what is wrong with krdc.

    I've now discovered that disabling my firewall stops the error so all I need
    to do now is work out what needs to be enabled, should be easy, after all
    it's only one of 2^32 ports :-/

    --
    Geoff Registered Linux user 196308
    Replace bitbucket with geoff to mail me.

  4. Re: krdc error when trying to connect

    Geoffrey Clements wrote:
    > Ramon wrote:
    >
    >> Geoffrey Clements wrote:
    >>> I get the following error when trying to connect to a remote desktop:
    >>> "An error occurred while scanning the network."
    >>>
    >>> Googling doesn't help much. Using a command line tool such as
    >>> xtightvncviewer works ok. Any ideas on what I might be missing?
    >>>

    >> Why don't you try the rdesktop command?
    >> i.e. rdesktop

    > That's just the same as running xtightvncviewer or vncviewer but doesn't
    > help find out what is wrong with krdc.
    >
    > I've now discovered that disabling my firewall stops the error so all I need
    > to do now is work out what needs to be enabled, should be easy, after all
    > it's only one of 2^32 ports :-/

    It seems that your firewall is blocking the ports. krdc supports 2
    protocols: VNC and RDP.

    You need to open some ports, depending on what protocol you would like
    to use.

    If you are using RDP, open this port: TCP port 3389

    If you are using VNC protocol try to open the following ports: TCP ports
    5900 through 5906 (default).

    Hope it helps!

  5. Re: krdc error when trying to connect

    "Ramon" wrote in message
    > Geoffrey Clements wrote:
    >> Ramon wrote:

    >>> Why don't you try the rdesktop command?
    >>> i.e. rdesktop

    >> That's just the same as running xtightvncviewer or vncviewer but doesn't
    >> help find out what is wrong with krdc.
    >>
    >> I've now discovered that disabling my firewall stops the error so all I
    >> need
    >> to do now is work out what needs to be enabled, should be easy, after all
    >> it's only one of 2^32 ports :-/
    >>

    > It seems that your firewall is blocking the ports. krdc supports 2
    > protocols: VNC and RDP.
    >
    > You need to open some ports, depending on what protocol you would like to
    > use.
    >
    > If you are using RDP, open this port: TCP port 3389
    >
    > If you are using VNC protocol try to open the following ports: TCP ports
    > 5900 through 5906 (default).
    >
    > Hope it helps!

    It may do, I have opened the VNC ports but not the RDP one as I intended to
    use only VNC. I'll try opening the RDP one tonight and see how it goes.

    Good idea - thanks!

    --
    Geoff

  6. Re: krdc error when trying to connect

    Geoffrey Clements wrote:

    > "Ramon" wrote in message
    >> Geoffrey Clements wrote:

    >>> That's just the same as running xtightvncviewer or vncviewer but doesn't
    >>> help find out what is wrong with krdc.
    >>>
    >>> I've now discovered that disabling my firewall stops the error so all I
    >>> need
    >>> to do now is work out what needs to be enabled, should be easy, after
    >>> all it's only one of 2^32 ports :-/
    >>>

    >> It seems that your firewall is blocking the ports. krdc supports 2
    >> protocols: VNC and RDP.
    >>
    >> You need to open some ports, depending on what protocol you would like to
    >> use.
    >>
    >> If you are using RDP, open this port: TCP port 3389
    >>
    >> If you are using VNC protocol try to open the following ports: TCP ports
    >> 5900 through 5906 (default).
    >>
    >> Hope it helps!

    > It may do, I have opened the VNC ports but not the RDP one as I intended
    > to use only VNC. I'll try opening the RDP one tonight and see how it goes.
    >
    > Good idea - thanks!

    Didn't work - oh well - back to the drawing board.

    Got a feeling it's somehing to do with multicast but not sure.

    --
    Geoff Registered Linux user 196308
    Replace bitbucket with geoff to mail me.

  7. Re: krdc error when trying to connect

    Geoffrey Clements wrote:
    > Geoffrey Clements wrote:
    >
    >> "Ramon" wrote in message

    >>> It seems that your firewall is blocking the ports. krdc supports 2
    >>> protocols: VNC and RDP.
    >>>
    >>> You need to open some ports, depending on what protocol you would like to
    >>> use.
    >>>
    >>> If you are using RDP, open this port: TCP port 3389
    >>>
    >>> If you are using VNC protocol try to open the following ports: TCP ports
    >>> 5900 through 5906 (default).
    >>>
    >>> Hope it helps!

    >> It may do, I have opened the VNC ports but not the RDP one as I intended
    >> to use only VNC. I'll try opening the RDP one tonight and see how it goes.
    >>
    >> Good idea - thanks!
    >>

    > Didn't work - oh well - back to the drawing board.
    >
    > Got a feeling it's somehing to do with multicast but not sure.

    Ok then, if this is a firewall issue then:

    [1] Open the ports that VNC (or RDP) uses
    [2] Look at the log of the firewall. The log file may be in the
    /var/log directory. Since I am using Guarddog, my log file is in
    /var/log/messages. If krdc is being blocked by the firewall, it will be
    registered in the log file.

    To view the last blocked connections use the tail command.

  8. Re: krdc error when trying to connect

    Ramon wrote:

    [snip]

    > Ok then, if this is a firewall issue then:
    >
    > [1] Open the ports that VNC (or RDP) uses
    > [2] Look at the log of the firewall. The log file may be in the
    > /var/log directory. Since I am using Guarddog, my log file is in
    > /var/log/messages. If krdc is being blocked by the firewall, it will be
    > registered in the log file.
    >
    > To view the last blocked connections use the tail command.

    I'm using guarddog too.

    The relevant line in the log is:
    Oct 18 18:28:06 spock kernel: [32912.852855] DROPPED IN= OUT=eth0
    SRC=192.168.1.1 DST=239.255.255.253 LEN=86 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=8 ID=0 DF
    PROTO=UDP SPT=1131 DPT=427 LEN=66

    This happens whenever I try to connect to another desktop.

    eth0 is my wired LAN and is unused at the moment (I'm on wireless using
    wlan0) and its IP address is 192.168.1.1.

    I have followed the directions at
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToZeroconf and set up guarddog to do
    multicast, I have checked it by doing:
    $ ping spock.local
    which works ok.

    I don't understand why port 427 is being tried as I believe this is for the
    NCP filesystem which is a Novell protocol. In any case I have added
    239.0.0.0/8 to my "multicast" zone (along with 224.0.0.0/8) and
    enabled "NCP File System - Novell NetWare(TM) protocol" on this zone to
    serve all other zones but still no luck.

    --
    Geoff Registered Linux user 196308
    Replace bitbucket with geoff to mail me.

  9. Re: krdc error when trying to connect

    Geoffrey Clements wrote:
    > Ramon wrote:
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    >> Ok then, if this is a firewall issue then:
    >>
    >> [1] Open the ports that VNC (or RDP) uses
    >> [2] Look at the log of the firewall. The log file may be in the
    >> /var/log directory. Since I am using Guarddog, my log file is in
    >> /var/log/messages. If krdc is being blocked by the firewall, it will be
    >> registered in the log file.
    >>
    >> To view the last blocked connections use the tail command.

    > I'm using guarddog too.
    >
    > The relevant line in the log is:
    > Oct 18 18:28:06 spock kernel: [32912.852855] DROPPED IN= OUT=eth0
    > SRC=192.168.1.1 DST=239.255.255.253 LEN=86 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=8 ID=0 DF
    > PROTO=UDP SPT=1131 DPT=427 LEN=66
    >
    > This happens whenever I try to connect to another desktop.
    >
    > eth0 is my wired LAN and is unused at the moment (I'm on wireless using
    > wlan0) and its IP address is 192.168.1.1.
    >
    > I have followed the directions at
    > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToZeroconf and set up guarddog to do
    > multicast, I have checked it by doing:
    > $ ping spock.local
    > which works ok.
    >
    > I don't understand why port 427 is being tried as I believe this is for the
    > NCP filesystem which is a Novell protocol. In any case I have added
    > 239.0.0.0/8 to my "multicast" zone (along with 224.0.0.0/8) and
    > enabled "NCP File System - Novell NetWare(TM) protocol" on this zone to
    > serve all other zones but still no luck.

    Port 427 is used by the SLP and SLP is used by krdc
    (http://docs.kde.org/kde3/en/kdenetwork/krdc/faq.html).

    Oct 18 18:28:06 spock kernel: [32912.852855] DROPPED IN= OUT=eth0
    SRC=192.168.1.1 DST=239.255.255.253 LEN=86 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=8
    ID=0 DF PROTO=UDP SPT=1131 DPT=427 LEN=66

    What the above line means is:
    That the destination UDP port 427 is being blocked by the guarddog. You
    must open that port.

    [1] Important to open port 427 UDP.
    [2] Save the guarddog configurations, and retry to use the krdc.
    [3] If it does not work, then type the following command "tail
    /var/log/messages" and read the last blocked entry. Open the port of
    one of the last entries. Go to step [2]...

    Hope it helps.

  10. Re: krdc error when trying to connect

    Ramon wrote:

    > Geoffrey Clements wrote:
    >> Ramon wrote:
    >>
    >> [snip]
    >>
    >>> Ok then, if this is a firewall issue then:
    >>>
    >>> [1] Open the ports that VNC (or RDP) uses
    >>> [2] Look at the log of the firewall. The log file may be in the
    >>> /var/log directory. Since I am using Guarddog, my log file is in
    >>> /var/log/messages. If krdc is being blocked by the firewall, it will be
    >>> registered in the log file.
    >>>
    >>> To view the last blocked connections use the tail command.

    >> I'm using guarddog too.
    >>
    >> The relevant line in the log is:
    >> Oct 18 18:28:06 spock kernel: [32912.852855] DROPPED IN= OUT=eth0
    >> SRC=192.168.1.1 DST=239.255.255.253 LEN=86 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=8 ID=0
    >> DF PROTO=UDP SPT=1131 DPT=427 LEN=66
    >>
    >> This happens whenever I try to connect to another desktop.
    >>
    >> eth0 is my wired LAN and is unused at the moment (I'm on wireless using
    >> wlan0) and its IP address is 192.168.1.1.
    >>
    >> I have followed the directions at
    >> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToZeroconf and set up guarddog to do
    >> multicast, I have checked it by doing:
    >> $ ping spock.local
    >> which works ok.
    >>
    >> I don't understand why port 427 is being tried as I believe this is for
    >> the NCP filesystem which is a Novell protocol. In any case I have added
    >> 239.0.0.0/8 to my "multicast" zone (along with 224.0.0.0/8) and
    >> enabled "NCP File System - Novell NetWare(TM) protocol" on this zone to
    >> serve all other zones but still no luck.
    >>

    > Port 427 is used by the SLP and SLP is used by krdc
    > (http://docs.kde.org/kde3/en/kdenetwork/krdc/faq.html).
    >
    > Oct 18 18:28:06 spock kernel: [32912.852855] DROPPED IN= OUT=eth0
    > SRC=192.168.1.1 DST=239.255.255.253 LEN=86 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=8
    > ID=0 DF PROTO=UDP SPT=1131 DPT=427 LEN=66
    >
    > What the above line means is:
    > That the destination UDP port 427 is being blocked by the guarddog. You
    > must open that port.
    >
    > [1] Important to open port 427 UDP.
    > [2] Save the guarddog configurations, and retry to use the krdc.
    > [3] If it does not work, then type the following command "tail
    > /var/log/messages" and read the last blocked entry. Open the port of
    > one of the last entries. Go to step [2]...
    >
    > Hope it helps.

    Thanks - you have been very helpful.

    I have enabled port 427 in every zone and yet I still get the error message.
    It may be because not all zones are "connected" but it seems to me that it
    should only need enabling in the "multicast" zone to serve the "local"
    zone. It may be that I'm tickling a bug in guarddog but I don't fancy going
    through hundreds of lines of iptables commands in /etc/rc.firewall!

    So far the only way I can avoid the error message is to switch off guarddog
    completely which I don't want to do.

    The answer is in the guarddog configuration I'm sure, the problem is finding
    it :-/

    Cheers,
    --
    Geoff Registered Linux user 196308
    Replace bitbucket with geoff to mail me.

  11. Re: krdc error when trying to connect

    I got it!

    The answer was to create my own protocol for SLP on the "Advanced" tab in
    guarddog rather than rely on the preexisting protocol for "NCP Filesystem".

    Darn - it was that easy in the end :-)

    Thanks very much for helping me out - it's much appreciated.

    --
    Geoff Registered Linux user 196308
    Replace bitbucket with geoff to mail me.

  12. Re: krdc error when trying to connect

    Geoffrey Clements wrote:
    [snip]

    > Thanks - you have been very helpful.
    >
    > I have enabled port 427 in every zone and yet I still get the error message.
    > It may be because not all zones are "connected" but it seems to me that it
    > should only need enabling in the "multicast" zone to serve the "local"
    > zone. It may be that I'm tickling a bug in guarddog but I don't fancy going
    > through hundreds of lines of iptables commands in /etc/rc.firewall!
    >
    > So far the only way I can avoid the error message is to switch off guarddog
    > completely which I don't want to do.
    >
    > The answer is in the guarddog configuration I'm sure, the problem is finding
    > it :-/
    >
    > Cheers,

    Hmm... Please try the following: opening BOTH port 427 TCP and UDP,
    apply guarddog settings and then check the /var/logs/messages log file.

    If there is still the port 427 error, then I suggest you to use the
    guarddog mailing list. Information about the mailing list can be found
    here: http://www.simonzone.com/software/guarddog/#mailinglist and you
    can subscribe here:
    https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/.../guarddog-user

    Regards

  13. Re: krdc error when trying to connect

    Geoffrey Clements wrote:
    > I got it!
    >
    > The answer was to create my own protocol for SLP on the "Advanced" tab in
    > guarddog rather than rely on the preexisting protocol for "NCP Filesystem".
    >
    > Darn - it was that easy in the end :-)
    >
    > Thanks very much for helping me out - it's much appreciated.

    I thought that you were creating a new SLP protocol on guarddog :P

    Glad to help you

+ Reply to Thread