Skype - KDE

This is a discussion on Skype - KDE ; My daughter wishes to use skype, I have installed it in order to experiment before trying to install it on her laptop. We both have Slackware 12.1 installed, with KDE, (3.5.9?), as the desktop. I can get the test message ...

  1. Skype

    My daughter wishes to use skype, I have installed it in order to
    experiment before trying to install it on her laptop. We both
    have Slackware 12.1 installed, with KDE, (3.5.9?), as the
    desktop.

    I can get the test message to play back my voice at a very low
    volume as root, I have yet to discover how to increase the
    microphone volume to equal that of the incoming audio, and I
    cannot get it to work at all as a user.

    Any help in getting this to work would be greatly appreciated

  2. Re: Skype

    Lurker wrote:
    > My daughter wishes to use skype, I have installed it in order to
    > experiment before trying to install it on her laptop. We both
    > have Slackware 12.1 installed, with KDE, (3.5.9?), as the
    > desktop.
    >
    > I can get the test message to play back my voice at a very low
    > volume as root, I have yet to discover how to increase the
    > microphone volume to equal that of the incoming audio, and I
    > cannot get it to work at all as a user.
    >
    > Any help in getting this to work would be greatly appreciated

    Have you checked that your normal users are part of the audio group?

    Did you turn off mic booster? According to skype help for Linux you should.

    Did you select the right mic? Sometimes audio can leak throe.

    Did you use the right connector? I had some trouble myself with my laptop, it
    looked like my mic was one more to the right than it was, so I got it plugged
    into the spdif, which caused some trouble

    Do you have the latest driver for your audio? I know early snd_hda had bad
    support for mic.

    Do you have other audio applications running at the same time? those new
    popular HDA audio cards you find in most laptops (and majority desktops) is
    really crappy and don't have hardware mixer which can cause you trouble.

    --

    //Aho

  3. Re: Skype

    J.O. Aho wrote:

    > Have you checked that your normal users are part of the audio
    > group?

    Thanks for all the above, I'll check some of them out when I
    change to my experimental partition, but at the moment I'm still
    trying things out on my desktop as opposed to my daughters
    laptop.
    --
    Lurker

  4. Re: Skype

    Lurker wrote:
    > J.O. Aho wrote:
    >
    >> Have you checked that your normal users are part of the audio
    >> group?

    > Thanks for all the above, I'll check some of them out when I
    > change to my experimental partition, but at the moment I'm still
    > trying things out on my desktop as opposed to my daughters
    > laptop.

    Here are a couple of pages that may be useful for you:

    http://www.skype.com/help/guides/soundsetup_linux.html
    http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=4489
    http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=10858

    --