keypad behavior - KDE

This is a discussion on keypad behavior - KDE ; Gang, I'm using KDE 4.1 on Kubuntu. Is it possible to change KDE's behavior regarding usage of keypad keys? When the Num-lock is off, I can use the keypad keys for cursor movement, but shift-keypad combinations don't highlight text when ...

  1. keypad behavior

    Gang,

    I'm using KDE 4.1 on Kubuntu. Is it possible to change KDE's behavior
    regarding usage of keypad keys?

    When the Num-lock is off, I can use the keypad keys for cursor
    movement, but
    shift-keypad combinations don't highlight text when num-lock is off.
    If I
    press shift-home, it doesn't highlight to the beginning of the line,
    instead it inserts a '7' character. Similarly, shift-end inserts a
    '1'.

    To use shift-keypad combinations to highlights text, I must turn num-
    lock
    on. But I'm used to using keypad keys for cursor movement and
    highlighting
    when num-lock is off, can I configure KDE to do this ?

    Thanks,

    Dave

  2. Re: keypad behavior

    On Sep 29, 2:22*pm, hende...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Gang,
    >
    > I'm using KDE 4.1 on Kubuntu. Is it possible to change KDE's behavior
    > regarding usage of keypad keys?
    >
    > When the Num-lock is off, I can use the keypad keys for cursor
    > movement, but
    > shift-keypad combinations don't highlight text when num-lock is off.
    > If I
    > press shift-home, it doesn't highlight to the beginning of the line,
    > instead it inserts a '7' character. Similarly, shift-end inserts a
    > '1'.
    >
    > To use shift-keypad combinations to highlights text, I must turn num-
    > lock
    > on. But I'm used to using keypad keys for cursor movement and
    > highlighting
    > when num-lock is off, can I configure KDE to do this ?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Dave

    Since nobody can answer this question, can someone tell me where to
    post this message so that I can get a response (other KDE groups
    perhaps)?

  3. Re: keypad behavior

    On Sep 30, 11:07*am, hende...@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Sep 29, 2:22*pm, hende...@gmail.com wrote:
    >

    > > Gang,

    > > I'm using KDE 4.1 on Kubuntu. Is it possible to change KDE's behavior
    > > regarding usage of keypad keys?

    > > When the Num-lock is off, I can use the keypad keys for cursor
    > > movement, but
    > > shift-keypad combinations don't highlight text when num-lock is off.
    > > If I
    > > press shift-home, it doesn't highlight to the beginning of the line,
    > > instead it inserts a '7' character. Similarly, shift-end inserts a
    > > '1'.

    > > To use shift-keypad combinations to highlights text, I must turn num-
    > > lock
    > > on. But I'm used to using keypad keys for cursor movement and
    > > highlighting
    > > when num-lock is off, can I configure KDE to do this ?

    > > Thanks,

    > > Dave

    > Since nobody can answer this question, can someone tell me where to
    > post this message so that I can get a response (other KDE groups
    > perhaps)?

    Is this an active group?

  4. Re: keypad behavior

    wrote in message
    On Sep 30, 11:07 am, hende...@gmail.com wrote:

    [snip]

    > Is this an active group?

    Yes

    --
    Geoff

  5. Re: keypad behavior

    On Oct 1, 7:21*am, "Geoffrey Clements"
    wrote:
    > wrote in message

    > On Sep 30, 11:07 am, hende...@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    > > Is this an active group?

    > Yes
    >
    > --
    > Geoff

    Is this the only KDE group? Have I stumped the Linux community?

  6. Re: keypad behavior

    wrote:
    > wrote in message

    > On Sep 30, 11:07 am, hende...@gmail.com wrote:

    [snip]

    > Is this the only KDE group?

    As far as I know it's the only newsgroup but my news server doesn't carry
    every group.

    > Have I stumped the Linux community?

    It's possible that as you're using a very recent version of KDE not many
    other users have experience of this, I'm still on KDE 3.5.9. However it's
    possible that this is a misconfigured X problem. Can you remember what you
    changed when you first got this problem?

    Another thought: have you tried bugs.kde.org?

    --
    Geoff

  7. Re: keypad behavior

    hendedav@gmail.com wrote:

    > Gang,
    >
    > I'm using KDE 4.1 on Kubuntu. Is it possible to change KDE's behavior
    > regarding usage of keypad keys?
    >
    > When the Num-lock is off, I can use the keypad keys for cursor
    > movement, but
    > shift-keypad combinations don't highlight text when num-lock is off.
    > If I
    > press shift-home, it doesn't highlight to the beginning of the line,
    > instead it inserts a '7' character. Similarly, shift-end inserts a
    > '1'.
    >
    > To use shift-keypad combinations to highlights text, I must turn num-
    > lock
    > on. But I'm used to using keypad keys for cursor movement and
    > highlighting
    > when num-lock is off, can I configure KDE to do this ?

    Now that I'm home from work and no longer using Windows (ugh!) I can confirm
    that I see exactly the same on my PC with KDE 3.5.9 but I guess this does
    reflect the layout on the key, i.e. 6 is above the right arrow for instance
    so could be construed as shift-rightarrow, not that this helps you.

    This is a Debian Lenny machine.

    --
    Geoff Registered Linux user 196308
    Replace bitbucket with geoff to mail me.

  8. Re: keypad behavior

    On Oct 2, 3:52*pm, Geoffrey Clements wrote:
    > hende...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Gang,

    > > I'm using KDE 4.1 on Kubuntu. Is it possible to change KDE's behavior
    > > regarding usage of keypad keys?

    > > When the Num-lock is off, I can use the keypad keys for cursor
    > > movement, but
    > > shift-keypad combinations don't highlight text when num-lock is off.
    > > If I
    > > press shift-home, it doesn't highlight to the beginning of the line,
    > > instead it inserts a '7' character. Similarly, shift-end inserts a
    > > '1'.

    > > To use shift-keypad combinations to highlights text, I must turn num-
    > > lock
    > > on. But I'm used to using keypad keys for cursor movement and
    > > highlighting
    > > when num-lock is off, can I configure KDE to do this ?

    > Now that I'm home from work and no longer using Windows (ugh!) I can confirm
    > that I see exactly the same on my PC with KDE 3.5.9 but I guess this does
    > reflect the layout on the key, i.e. 6 is above the right arrow for instance
    > so could be construed as shift-rightarrow, not that this helps you.
    >
    > This is a Debian Lenny machine.
    >
    > --
    > Geoff * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** * * * Registered Linux user 196308
    > Replace bitbucket with geoff to mail me.

    I am glad that I have confirmed this with someone else. Now I
    just need to find out how to resolve the issue. Since this is an
    "issue" with older KDE as well, can someone else help me? Or am I the
    only one that doesn't constantly have the numlock on?

    Dave

+ Reply to Thread