How do I have KDE v3.5.9 start my applications automatically when booting it up? - KDE

This is a discussion on How do I have KDE v3.5.9 start my applications automatically when booting it up? - KDE ; Hi. I can't find the settings to add programs to load during KDE v3.5.9's startup. Thank you in advnace. -- "An ant can do more than an ox that is lying down." --unknown /\___/\ / /\ /\ \ Ant @ ...

  1. How do I have KDE v3.5.9 start my applications automatically when booting it up?

    --
    "An ant can do more than an ox that is lying down." --unknown
    /\___/\
    ( )

  2. Re: How do I have KDE v3.5.9 start my applications automatically when booting it up?

    Ant wrote :

    > I can't find the settings to add programs to load during KDE v3.5.9's
    > startup.

    Start "Control Center" and go to "KDE Components"|"Session Manager" and
    in the "On Login" section choose "Restore manually saved session".

    Now setup your desktop the way you want it to start, and in the KMenu
    you'll find a new option "Save Session", use this and from now and until
    you use this option again your desktop will look the same at each login.
    --
    Thomas O.

  3. Re: How do I have KDE v3.5.9 start my applications automaticallywhen booting it up?

    On 9/16/2008 12:09 PM PT, Thomas Overgaard typed:

    > Ant wrote :
    >
    >> I can't find the settings to add programs to load during KDE v3.5.9's
    >> startup.

    > Start "Control Center" and go to "KDE Components"|"Session Manager" and
    > in the "On Login" section choose "Restore manually saved session".
    >
    > Now setup your desktop the way you want it to start, and in the KMenu
    > you'll find a new option "Save Session", use this and from now and until
    > you use this option again your desktop will look the same at each login.

    Ah OK. I thought there was a way to add programs without doing that. Thanks.
    --
    "Is this stuff any good for ants?" "No, it kills them." --unknown
    /\___/\
    \ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
    ( ) or ANTant@zimage.com

  4. Re: How do I have KDE v3.5.9 start my applications automatically when booting it up?

    Ant wrote:

    > On 9/16/2008 12:09 PM PT, Thomas Overgaard typed:
    >
    >> Ant wrote :
    >>
    >>> I can't find the settings to add programs to load during KDE
    >>> v3.5.9's startup.

    >> Start "Control Center" and go to "KDE Components"|"Session
    >> Manager" and in the "On Login" section choose "Restore manually
    >> saved session".
    >>
    >> Now setup your desktop the way you want it to start, and in the
    >> KMenu you'll find a new option "Save Session", use this and
    >> from now and until you use this option again your desktop will
    >> look the same at each login.

    > Ah OK. I thought there was a way to add programs without doing
    > that. Thanks.

    Sure there is: In your .kde is a directory called Autostart Open
    the dir in konqueror->right-click->Create New->Link to
    Application. The next time you start kde the app is
    autostarted .

    Joerg
    --
    For email use g m x d o t n e t

  5. Re: How do I have KDE v3.5.9 start my applications automatically when booting it up?

    Ant wrote:

    > Hi.
    >
    > I can't find the settings to add programs to load during KDE v3.5.9's
    > startup.
    >
    > Thank you in advnace.

    Take a look at this thread (single line):

    http://groups.google.com.au/group/co...6195ac0418be85

    HTH

    Rob.

  6. Re: How do I have KDE v3.5.9 start my applications automaticallywhen booting it up?

    On 9/17/2008 1:56 AM PT, Rob typed:

    > Ant wrote:
    >
    >> Hi.
    >>
    >> I can't find the settings to add programs to load during KDE v3.5.9's
    >> startup.
    >>
    >> Thank you in advnace.

    > Take a look at this thread (single line):
    >
    > http://groups.google.com.au/group/co...6195ac0418be85

    Thanks!
    --
    "If someone makes you angry, I think the thing to do is tie them down to
    the ground, cover them in honey, and then release a swarm of killer ants
    / /\ /\ \ Phil/Ant @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
    \ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
    ( ) or ANTant@zimage.com

  7. Re: How do I have KDE v3.5.9 start my applications automaticallywhen booting it up?

    On 9/17/2008 1:53 AM PT, Joerg typed:

    > Ant wrote:

    >>> Start "Control Center" and go to "KDE Components"|"Session
    >>> Manager" and in the "On Login" section choose "Restore manually
    >>> saved session".
    >>>
    >>> Now setup your desktop the way you want it to start, and in the
    >>> KMenu you'll find a new option "Save Session", use this and
    >>> from now and until you use this option again your desktop will
    >>> look the same at each login.

    >> Ah OK. I thought there was a way to add programs without doing
    >> that. Thanks.

    > Sure there is: In your .kde is a directory called Autostart Open
    > the dir in konqueror->right-click->Create New->Link to
    > Application. The next time you start kde the app is
    > autostarted .

    Thanks.
    --
    "If someone makes you angry, I think the thing to do is tie them down to
    the ground, cover them in honey, and then release a swarm of killer ants
    on them. That way, you can hit them over and over again and say, 'Hey!
    I'm just trying to help!' and they can't really get mad at you." --R.M.
    Weiner
    /\___/\
    / /\ /\ \ Phil/Ant @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
    \ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
    ( ) or ANTant@zimage.com

  8. Re: How do I have KDE v3.5.9 start my applications automatically when booting it up?

    Ant wrote :

    > Ah OK. I thought there was a way to add programs without doing
    > that. Thanks.

    As you've just learned there's another method.

    But this has the advantage that you could have like 4 virtual desktops
    and then start 4 different programs up, one on each.
    --
    Thomas O.

  9. Re: How do I have KDE v3.5.9 start my applications automatically when booting it up?

    Thomas Overgaard wrote:

    > Ant wrote :
    >
    >> Ah OK. I thought there was a way to add programs without doing
    >> that. Thanks.

    > As you've just learned there's another method.
    >
    > But this has the advantage that you could have like 4 virtual
    > desktops and then start 4 different programs up, one on each.

    Or you can use kstart, i.e. kstart --desktop 3 kmail and create
    an entry in Autostart for this command ;-)

    Joerg
    --
    For email use g m x d o t n e t

  10. Re: How do I have KDE v3.5.9 start my applications automaticallywhen booting it up?

    On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 21:05:06 -0700, Ant wrote:

    > Ah, good point on that. What if I don't want to have anything loaded at
    > KDE's boot up due to problems?

    Yep, one of the reasons I like putting a link to my $HOME/bin/startup script in
    $HOME/.kde/Autostart/

    I can do a
    touch fast
    and $HOME/bin/startup can test for the existence of $HOME/fast.

    If $HOME/fast exists, the startup gives me a pop up message that I can
    cut/paste to start the rest of the apps when I through doing what I want.

    Example snippet:
    #!/bin/bash
    #************************************************* ****
    #* $HOME/bin/startup
    #************************************************* ****

    _cnt=$(ps aux | grep -v grep | grep -c 'title start_up')
    if [ $_cnt -eq 0 ] ; then
    xterm -title start_up -geom 80x24+85+510 &
    fi

    if [ -e $HOME/fast ] ; then
    xmessage -geom +750+675 "

    /bin/rm -f $HOME/fast
    startup

    " &
    else

    fi # end if [ -f "$HOME/fast" ]

    #******** end $HOME/bin/startup *********************

  11. Re: How do I have KDE v3.5.9 start my applications automaticallywhen booting it up?

    Here's what I don't understand. How come KDe doesn't make a startup
    folder in its K's menu like Windows' Start Menu to avoid the command
    line method?

    On 9/18/2008 3:15 AM PT, Bit Twister typed:

    --
    "Many ants kill a camel." --Turkish
    /\___/\
    / /\ /\ \ Phil/Ant @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
    \ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
    ( ) or ANTant@zimage.com

  12. Re: How do I have KDE v3.5.9 start my applications automaticallywhen booting it up?

    On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 07:07:03 -0700, Ant wrote:

    Learn to trim your posts.
    http://livinginternet.com/u/uu_test.htm

    > Here's what I don't understand.

    You are starting to sound like the old maid with the nose bleed.
    "Dang, if it isn't one end, it's the other." :-P

    > How come KDe doesn't make a startup folder in its K's menu like
    > Windows' Start Menu to avoid the command line method?

    Without walls and fences, why do we need windows and gates?

    Maybe fear of Micro$not legal buzzards swooping down for Intellectual
    Property theft. Why do you need the command line method.

    Had you looked at provided threads, or used one of the very large Frequently
    Asked Questions search engine, example http://groups.google.com/advanced_search,
    you would see none is "required".

    Mandriva's KDE out-of-the-box/default setting is to restore your
    desktop as it was upon log out. No Auto Start menu selection needed.

    Shoot, use the kde menu editor to add your own edit your startup
    script and call it Start Up. Make the command
    kwrite /home/ant/.kde/Autostart/startup

    Guessing you will love KDE 4.x. It does have a Autostart folder,
    under Advanced for people needing a Point and Click interface.

+ Reply to Thread