launch program at start up? - KDE

This is a discussion on launch program at start up? - KDE ; Is there a way to launch a program when KDE starts up? OpenSUSE 10.2, KDE 3.5.5 "release 45.10"....

  1. launch program at start up?

    Is there a way to launch a program when KDE starts up?

    OpenSUSE 10.2, KDE 3.5.5 "release 45.10".

  2. Re: launch program at start up?

    droid wrote:

    > Is there a way to launch a program when KDE starts up?
    >
    > OpenSUSE 10.2, KDE 3.5.5 "release 45.10".

    Put a soft link in ~/.kde/Autostart directory to the program you want to
    start.

    HTH

    Rob.

  3. Re: launch program at start up?

    On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 08:56:39 -0700 (PDT), droid wrote:
    > Is there a way to launch a program when KDE starts up?

    Yes.

    > OpenSUSE 10.2, KDE 3.5.5 "release 45.10".

    You might try creating a script in ~/.kde/Autostart/,
    setting execute permissions,
    then add command(s) to do whatever you like.

    Example 1:

    echo "xterm -fg black -bg wheat &" > ~/.kde/Autostart/startup
    chmod +x ~/.kde/Autostart/startup

    The echo line put an xterm command in the file startup.
    chmod set execute permission.

    Upon next login, kde should find the script, startup, in ~/.kde/Autostart/
    and launch xterm with the indicated colors.

    Example 2:

    If you want the app to start in another window/desktop
    startup could look something like

    dcop kwin default setCurrentDesktop 3 > /dev/null
    sleep 2
    xterm -fg black -bg wheat &

    That would switch to desktop 3
    wait 2 seconds
    and launch xterm.

  4. Re: launch program at start up?

    I simply moved the application's (JungleDisk Monitor) desktop icon
    into ~/.kde/Autostart and it worked. Thanks Rob!

  5. Re: launch program at start up?

    At this time I just needed to start Jungledisk Monitor - which runs in
    the system tray - so I just moved it's icon to ~/.kde/Autostart/.
    But I appreciate the cool tips, Bit Twister!

  6. Re: launch program at start up?

    droid wrote:

    > Is there a way to launch a program when KDE starts up?
    >
    > OpenSUSE 10.2, KDE 3.5.5 "release 45.10".

    Sure, in your .kde is a folder called Autostart, open it and craete a link to the app you want to run on startup.

    HTH
    Joerg
    --
    For email use g m x d o t n e t