how to make Konqueror ignore .swf files - KDE

This is a discussion on how to make Konqueror ignore .swf files - KDE ; There is no flash player plugin for Konqueror (Please correct me if I'm wrong). So I would like to suppress all the popups asking me if I want to download .swf files. Is there a way to get Konqueror to ...

  1. how to make Konqueror ignore .swf files

    There is no flash player plugin for Konqueror (Please correct me if I'm wrong).
    So I would like to suppress all the popups asking me if I want to download .swf
    files. Is there a way to get Konqueror to do this?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: how to make Konqueror ignore .swf files

    wrote in message
    > There is no flash player plugin for Konqueror (Please correct me if I'm
    > wrong).

    You're wrong ... and right :-)

    Konqueror can use the netscape flash plug-in, your distro. should supply
    one. Try configuring Konqi: go to the plug-ins page and do a "scan for
    plugins" or something similar (I'm not at my own PC) and see if it finds the
    plug-in, if not install it.

    --
    Geoff

  3. Re: how to make Konqueror ignore .swf files

    dfeustel@mindspring.com wrote:
    > There is no flash player plugin for Konqueror (Please correct me if I'm wrong).

    You are wrong, you use the same driver as for Seamonkey/FireFox/Mozilla Suite,
    in your case you need to include the directory which nspluginwrapper uses

    See:
    http://www.comfx.com/v.php?d=400229

    http://www.comfx.com/v.php?d=433399

    > So I would like to suppress all the popups asking me if I want to download .swf
    > files. Is there a way to get Konqueror to do this?

    Avoid thos pages or use a adblocker.

    --

    //Aho

  4. Re: how to make Konqueror ignore .swf files

    Geoffrey Clements wrote:

    > wrote in message
    >> There is no flash player plugin for Konqueror (Please correct me if I'm
    >> wrong).

    > You're wrong ... and right :-)
    >
    > Konqueror can use the netscape flash plug-in, your distro. should supply
    > one. Try configuring Konqi: go to the plug-ins page and do a "scan for
    > plugins" or something similar (I'm not at my own PC) and see if it finds the
    > plug-in, if not install it.

    I'm running 64-bit FreeBSD 7.0. I confess that all my attempts to do anything at
    all with plugins for either Konqueror or Firefox have been a complete failure.
    I pretty much have given up on plugins as a result.

  5. Re: how to make Konqueror ignore .swf files

    In comp.windows.x.kde, dfeustel@mindspring.com wrote:

    > I'm running 64-bit FreeBSD 7.0. I confess that all my attempts to do
    > anything at all with plugins for either Konqueror or Firefox have been a
    > complete failure. I pretty much have given up on plugins as a result.

    Then just go to Preferences -> Configure Konqueror -> Plugins and uncheck
    the "Activate plugins globally" option. At least you won't be bothered by
    the popups.

    As most swf content is a CPU and bandwith waste which I don't want to see
    anyway, I use this option and just activate manually (in Tools -> HTML
    Preferences) for specific content I want to see.

  6. Re: how to make Konqueror ignore .swf files

    dfeustel@mindspring.com wrote:
    > Geoffrey Clements wrote:
    >> wrote in message
    >>> There is no flash player plugin for Konqueror (Please correct me if I'm
    >>> wrong).

    >> You're wrong ... and right :-)
    >>
    >> Konqueror can use the netscape flash plug-in, your distro. should supply
    >> one. Try configuring Konqi: go to the plug-ins page and do a "scan for
    >> plugins" or something similar (I'm not at my own PC) and see if it finds the
    >> plug-in, if not install it.

    > I'm running 64-bit FreeBSD 7.0. I confess that all my attempts to do anything at
    > all with plugins for either Konqueror or Firefox have been a complete failure.
    > I pretty much have given up on plugins as a result.

    Somehow I got it to that you are using Fedora Core, but a little search on the
    net it turns out that there aren't any difference between how things are in
    FreeBSD and Linux

    http://freebsd.kde.org/howtos/konqueror-flash.php

    Keep in mind the extra path you have to include is the one where
    nspluginwrapper stores the wrapper files, not the 32bit plugin directory,
    which should be by default /usr/lib64/nsbrowser/plugins/

    --

    //Aho

+ Reply to Thread