How do I create a kde 4.1 desktop shortcut - KDE

This is a discussion on How do I create a kde 4.1 desktop shortcut - KDE ; Running kde 4.1 on Mandriva Linux 2009 Alpha 2 release. What are the instructions to create a desktop shortcut?...

  1. How do I create a kde 4.1 desktop shortcut

    Running kde 4.1 on Mandriva Linux 2009 Alpha 2 release.

    What are the instructions to create a desktop shortcut?

  2. Re: How do I create a kde 4.1 desktop shortcut

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > Running kde 4.1 on Mandriva Linux 2009 Alpha 2 release.
    >
    > What are the instructions to create a desktop shortcut?

    the devs have decided that you can't, you can place a shortcut into a folder like ~/Desktop and have that folder shown on the dt using the "folder view widget" but the old concept of desktop icons has been deemed passe
    --
    Suse 11.0 x64, Kde 4.1beta (factory repo), Opera 9.x weekly

  3. Re: How do I create a kde 4.1 desktop shortcut

    On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 00:49:51 GMT, google01103 wrote:
    > Bit Twister wrote:
    >
    >> Running kde 4.1 on Mandriva Linux 2009 Alpha 2 release.
    >>
    >> What are the instructions to create a desktop shortcut?

    > the devs have decided that you can't, you can place a shortcut into
    > a folder like ~/Desktop and have that folder shown on the dt using the
    > "folder view widget" but the old concept of desktop icons has been
    > deemed passe

    I hear you, but my Suse 11.0 install has desktop icons which launch
    an application like firefox. I just want to know how to create one.

  4. Re: How do I create a kde 4.1 desktop shortcut

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 00:49:51 GMT, google01103 wrote:
    >> Bit Twister wrote:
    >>
    >>> Running kde 4.1 on Mandriva Linux 2009 Alpha 2 release.
    >>>
    >>> What are the instructions to create a desktop shortcut?

    >> the devs have decided that you can't, you can place a shortcut into
    >> a folder like ~/Desktop and have that folder shown on the dt using the
    >> "folder view widget" but the old concept of desktop icons has been
    >> deemed passe

    > I hear you, but my Suse 11.0 install has desktop icons which launch
    > an application like firefox. I just want to know how to create one.

    your 11.0 was probably kde 4.0, I think this was removed in 4.1beta
    --
    Suse 11.0 x64, Kde 4.1beta (factory repo), Opera 9.x weekly

  5. Re: How do I create a kde 4.1 desktop shortcut SOLUTION

    On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 20:22:12 +0000 (UTC), Bit Twister wrote:
    > Running kde 4.1 on Mandriva Linux 2009 Alpha 2 release.
    >
    > What are the instructions to create a desktop shortcut?

    Create a shortcut group in the main menu.
    Under the shortcut group, create an entry.
    left click/drag to desktop
    Now you can modify it to suite yourself.
    You have to create a new entry for each different shortcut you want on
    the desktop.

    NOTE: Modifying the desktop values changes the shortcut you created
    in the menu.

    That is why you need to create a separate shortcut group to hold all
    your desktop shortcuts. :-(

+ Reply to Thread