KDE4 rants - KDE

This is a discussion on KDE4 rants - KDE ; Hi, I've recently upgraded from FC6 to F9 and, along with it, went from KDE 3.5 to KDE 4 -- so far, I am not happy at all with KDE4. After hours of screwing around with it, I still don't ...

  1. KDE4 rants

    Hi,

    I've recently upgraded from FC6 to F9 and, along with it, went from
    KDE 3.5 to KDE 4 -- so far, I am not happy at all with KDE4. After
    hours of screwing around with it, I still don't have the desktop I
    want.

    * I notice that some of the fonts are somehow more difficult to
    read... as if they are a bit fuzzier or not as clear as before. I've
    tried turning off/on anti-aliasing, changing the font dpi to 96/120,
    etc... still seems slightly unclear. This could be a video card
    driver issue I suppose, since that seems to have changed as well (I'm
    using an ATI X300).

    * The "system settings" options for themes, and such, don't always
    remember what I've set them to.

    * The clock on the taskbar is far too large. If I set it to a smaller
    font size, it still occupies the same amount of horizontal space on
    the taskbar.

    * There is no quick launch applet. I tried adding one, but it's
    simply not listed as an applet. How do I get this? I want a box
    on my taskbar where I can drag/drop icons so they can be quicklaunced
    from there. This one is important to me.

    * There's a permanent background image, which can be covered with the
    desktop image, but when I set the desktop image to "none", the
    original background image remains... how do I remove this?
    (The image looks like a crude drawing of some ripples with rays and
    stars emanating from them in a blue / dark blue color theme)

    * The Desktop icons for "home" "trash" "floppy" are showing as the
    "question mark" icon, as if it cannot find the proper icon (changing
    the icons options under system settings doesn't help). Some folder
    icons on my Desktop are also larger than others. I cannot rename
    the icons on my desktop... I change the name (right click, icon
    settings), but it doesn't reflect the change on the desktop itself.

    * The "background" of the Desktop icons (where the widget buttons
    appear) isn't transparent, and the icons don't flow smoothly
    together... it looks disorganized.

    * The default tab widths in Konsole are far too wide, is there a way
    to modify this? I prefer to have them fit the width of the tab name
    (as before).

    * Also, it would be really nice if I could change the background color
    of the taskbar... right now it seems to be stuck on black, no matter
    how I change the system settings -> appearance.

    * I have direct rendering turned on for my video card, yet tuxracer
    still runs chunky (in FC6, ran smoothly with direct rendering turned
    on).

    I think I would be happier with 3.5 installed again, but I don't know
    how to go about doing that using, for example, yum. Another option
    that looks interesting is Xfce -- I'd be happy to find out how to
    install this in F9.

    I'm hard pressed to find one thing that I like about KDE4.

  2. Re: KDE4 rants

    Hello,

    Ben wrote:

    > I've recently upgraded from FC6 to F9 and, along with it, went from
    > KDE 3.5 to KDE 4 -- so far, I am not happy at all with KDE4. After
    > hours of screwing around with it, I still don't have the desktop I
    > want.

    It is unfortunate that KDE 3.5 is left out and 4.0 the only option. Have
    you seen the following?

    http://kde-redhat.sourceforge.net/

    Bernd Strieder

  3. Re: KDE4 rants

    Ben wrote in news:f53e10e1-f5f7-45e4-a53c-
    09a9d27d5288@c65g2000hsa.googlegroups.com:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I've recently upgraded from FC6 to F9 and, along with it, went from
    > KDE 3.5 to KDE 4 -- so far, I am not happy at all with KDE4. After
    > hours of screwing around with it, I still don't have the desktop I
    > want.

    << snip >>

    > I think I would be happier with 3.5 installed again, but I don't know
    > how to go about doing that using, for example, yum. Another option
    > that looks interesting is Xfce -- I'd be happy to find out how to
    > install this in F9.
    >
    > I'm hard pressed to find one thing that I like about KDE4.

    Hello Ben,

    I recentally deplayed a new computer and installed Fedora 9. I had feelings similar to yours. Due to needing
    a tool, Fedora 9 was removed and Fedora 8 was installed. That returned me to KDE 3.5, much better.

    Fedora 9 is the last step in a progression from the days when Red Hat had only a single distribution. Have
    tried GNOME several times and have always returned to KDE. My problem is that I consider the computer,
    OS, and programming to be a means to an end, and not an end in itself. Any form of technology has a
    bleading edge that must be worked. Unfortunately, I must make a living and need tools that I can pick up
    and use.

    Have a good day,
    Robert

  4. Re: KDE4 rants

    Ben wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I've recently upgraded from FC6 to F9 and, along with it, went from
    > KDE 3.5 to KDE 4 -- so far, I am not happy at all with KDE4. After
    > hours of screwing around with it, I still don't have the desktop I
    > want.
    >
    > * I notice that some of the fonts are somehow more difficult to
    > read... as if they are a bit fuzzier or not as clear as before. I've
    > tried turning off/on anti-aliasing, changing the font dpi to 96/120,
    > etc... still seems slightly unclear. This could be a video card
    > driver issue I suppose, since that seems to have changed as well (I'm
    > using an ATI X300).
    >
    > * The "system settings" options for themes, and such, don't always
    > remember what I've set them to.
    >
    > * The clock on the taskbar is far too large. If I set it to a smaller
    > font size, it still occupies the same amount of horizontal space on
    > the taskbar.
    >
    > * There is no quick launch applet. I tried adding one, but it's
    > simply not listed as an applet. How do I get this? I want a box
    > on my taskbar where I can drag/drop icons so they can be quicklaunced
    > from there. This one is important to me.
    >
    > * There's a permanent background image, which can be covered with the
    > desktop image, but when I set the desktop image to "none", the
    > original background image remains... how do I remove this?
    > (The image looks like a crude drawing of some ripples with rays and
    > stars emanating from them in a blue / dark blue color theme)
    >
    > * The Desktop icons for "home" "trash" "floppy" are showing as the
    > "question mark" icon, as if it cannot find the proper icon (changing
    > the icons options under system settings doesn't help). Some folder
    > icons on my Desktop are also larger than others. I cannot rename
    > the icons on my desktop... I change the name (right click, icon
    > settings), but it doesn't reflect the change on the desktop itself.
    >
    > * The "background" of the Desktop icons (where the widget buttons
    > appear) isn't transparent, and the icons don't flow smoothly
    > together... it looks disorganized.
    >
    > * The default tab widths in Konsole are far too wide, is there a way
    > to modify this? I prefer to have them fit the width of the tab name
    > (as before).
    >
    > * Also, it would be really nice if I could change the background color
    > of the taskbar... right now it seems to be stuck on black, no matter
    > how I change the system settings -> appearance.
    >
    > * I have direct rendering turned on for my video card, yet tuxracer
    > still runs chunky (in FC6, ran smoothly with direct rendering turned
    > on).
    >
    > I think I would be happier with 3.5 installed again, but I don't know
    > how to go about doing that using, for example, yum. Another option
    > that looks interesting is Xfce -- I'd be happy to find out how to
    > install this in F9.
    >
    > I'm hard pressed to find one thing that I like about KDE4.

    should be entitled "Fedora rant" - other distro's did the more reasonable
    thing, providing the option to install 3.5.9 or 4 (or 4.1beta even).
    --
    openSuse 11.0 x64, KDE4.1 beta (factory repo), Opera 9.x weekly

  5. Fedora rant, wat: KDE4 rants

    google01103 wrote:

    > should be entitled "Fedora rant" - other distro's did the more reasonable
    > thing, providing the option to install 3.5.9 or 4 (or 4.1beta even).

    Yes... I've been using OpenSUSE 11 and it's weekly refreshed 4.1 betas and
    rc's, and the experience is really excellent. Plus, I no longer have to
    recompile kdelibs myself before continuing to hack on KOffice.

    Boudewijn
    http://www.krita.org

+ Reply to Thread