I've recently upgraded from FC6 to F9 and, along with it, went from
KDE 3.5 to KDE 4 -- so far, I am not happy at all with KDE4. After
hours of screwing around with it, I still don't have the desktop I
* I notice that some of the fonts are somehow more difficult to
read... as if they are a bit fuzzier or not as clear as before. I've
tried turning off/on anti-aliasing, changing the font dpi to 96/120,
etc... still seems slightly unclear. This could be a video card
driver issue I suppose, since that seems to have changed as well (I'm
using an ATI X300).
* The "system settings" options for themes, and such, don't always
remember what I've set them to.
* The clock on the taskbar is far too large. If I set it to a smaller
font size, it still occupies the same amount of horizontal space on
* There is no quick launch applet. I tried adding one, but it's
simply not listed as an applet. How do I get this? I want a box
on my taskbar where I can drag/drop icons so they can be quicklaunced
from there. This one is important to me.
* There's a permanent background image, which can be covered with the
desktop image, but when I set the desktop image to "none", the
original background image remains... how do I remove this?
(The image looks like a crude drawing of some ripples with rays and
stars emanating from them in a blue / dark blue color theme)
* The Desktop icons for "home" "trash" "floppy" are showing as the
"question mark" icon, as if it cannot find the proper icon (changing
the icons options under system settings doesn't help). Some folder
icons on my Desktop are also larger than others. I cannot rename
the icons on my desktop... I change the name (right click, icon
settings), but it doesn't reflect the change on the desktop itself.
* The "background" of the Desktop icons (where the widget buttons
appear) isn't transparent, and the icons don't flow smoothly
together... it looks disorganized.
* The default tab widths in Konsole are far too wide, is there a way
to modify this? I prefer to have them fit the width of the tab name
* Also, it would be really nice if I could change the background color
of the taskbar... right now it seems to be stuck on black, no matter
how I change the system settings -> appearance.
* I have direct rendering turned on for my video card, yet tuxracer
still runs chunky (in FC6, ran smoothly with direct rendering turned
I think I would be happier with 3.5 installed again, but I don't know
how to go about doing that using, for example, yum. Another option
that looks interesting is Xfce -- I'd be happy to find out how to
install this in F9.
I'm hard pressed to find one thing that I like about KDE4.