~/.thumbnails - KDE

This is a discussion on ~/.thumbnails - KDE ; Hi! Not sure if it's the right NG, but i'm just discovred that my ~/.thumbnails it's about 1GB. This directory holds tons of thumbnails, that spans various years... It should grows indefinetely, or there is a way to set a ...

  1. ~/.thumbnails

    Hi! Not sure if it's the right NG, but i'm just discovred that my
    ~/.thumbnails it's about 1GB. This directory holds tons of thumbnails,
    that spans various years... It should grows indefinetely, or there is a
    way to set a maximum size/age?

    thanks,
    giovanni

    --
    |^^^^|
    | | Eat my shorts ! * Linux Powered *
    |()()| / - Kernel 2.6.24 -
    -> gio.bcc tin.it <-

  2. Re: ~/.thumbnails

    Giovanni wrote:
    > Hi! Not sure if it's the right NG, but i'm just discovred that my
    > ~/.thumbnails it's about 1GB. This directory holds tons of thumbnails,
    > that spans various years... It should grows indefinetely, or there is a
    > way to set a maximum size/age?

    I haven't seen any KDE setting for this, but then I don't use
    thumbnails, don't use graphical file tools either, but in case you don't
    find any settings for this, take a look at tmpwatch, this can be set to
    delete old files from specified directories, you tell how old the files
    are allowed to be and everything older will be gone.

    --

    //Aho

  3. Re: ~/.thumbnails

    In comp.windows.x.kde, Giovanni wrote:

    > Hi! Not sure if it's the right NG, but i'm just discovred that my
    > ~/.thumbnails it's about 1GB. This directory holds tons of thumbnails,
    > that spans various years... It should grows indefinetely, or there is a
    > way to set a maximum size/age?

    Just learned about that dir reading your post. Mine was 236MB so just did:
    find ~/.thumbnails -atime +30 -type f -exec rm -f {} \;
    This gets rid of any file which was not accessed in the last month (better
    than creation time, because if the thumbnail was accessed that means the
    file it represents still is somewhere).
    After that the dir went to 17MB and from 9414 files to 265.

    May be I include that command in crontab, unless someone points a way to
    configure that from KDE (I haven't found it).

  4. Re: ~/.thumbnails

    On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 19:14:33 GMT, Giovanni wrote:

    > Hi! Not sure if it's the right NG, but i'm just discovred that my
    > ~/.thumbnails it's about 1GB. This directory holds tons of thumbnails,
    > that spans various years...

    My solution was to create ~/.kde/shutdown, chmod +x ~/.kde/shutdown,
    with commands to do some general clean up upon logout. Snippet follows:

    #************************************************* **************
    #*
    #* shutdown - account clean up during kde shutdown
    #*
    #************************************************* **************

    if [ -d ~/.thumbnails/normal ] ; then
    find ~/.thumbnails/normal/ -type f -name "*.png" -print0 \
    | xargs -0r /bin/rm --
    fi

    /bin/rm -fr $HOME/.local/share/Trash
    /bin/rm -fr $HOME/.local/share/desktop-directories
    #******************** end kde_shutdown *******************

  5. Re: ~/.thumbnails

    In comp.windows.x.kde, Abelardo Tordo wrote:

    > May be I include that command in crontab, unless someone points a way to
    > configure that from KDE (I haven't found it).

    As I'm not the only user in this computer I've created the following script:

    #!/bin/sh

    for dir in `find /home -maxdepth 2 -type d -name .thumbnails`
    do
    find $dir -atime +30 -type f -exec rm -f {} \;
    done

    Place it in /etc/cron.weekly (or daily if you prefer) and you're done.

  6. Re: ~/.thumbnails

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > find ~/.thumbnails/normal/ -type f -name "*.png" -print0 \
    > | xargs -0r /bin/rm --

    More simple:

    find ~/.thumbnails/normal/ -type f -name "*.png" -delete

    --

  7. Re: ~/.thumbnails

    Arno Wald wrote:

    > Bit Twister wrote:
    >
    >> find ~/.thumbnails/normal/ -type f -name "*.png" -print0 \
    >> | xargs -0r /bin/rm --

    > More simple:
    >
    > find ~/.thumbnails/normal/ -type f -name "*.png" -delete
    >
    > --

    or just

    rm -rf ~/.thumbnails

  8. Re: ~/.thumbnails

    Giovanni, 21:14, luned́ 30 giugno 2008:

    > Hi! Not sure if it's the right NG, but i'm just discovred that my
    > ~/.thumbnails it's about 1GB. This directory holds tons of thumbnails,
    > that spans various years... It should grows indefinetely, or there is
    > a way to set a maximum size/age?

    Thanks for your replaying. I was already aware of tmpwatch or find
    methods, but i was wondering if there where a method for doing
    this "clean up" directly from kde (it create the thumbnails, so it
    should check it out). May be i will fill a request for this.

    Thanks to all,
    Giovanni

    --
    |^^^^|