Video - KDE

This is a discussion on Video - KDE ; Gang, While playing with some of the media softwares over the last two days, I was wondering if someone would help me with a question or two. I am working the KMPlayer and just the mplayer (with no gui) to ...

  1. Video

    Gang,

    While playing with some of the media softwares over the last two
    days, I was wondering if someone would help me with a question or
    two. I am working the KMPlayer and just the mplayer (with no gui) to
    see what gives me the best looking playback for videos. KMPlayer
    comes with Xine as the default movie player, but I can't even get it
    to load the videos (they appear as though they have been encoded with
    Xvid). If I switch the movie player option to mplayer (which uses the
    same mplayer binary as I would from the command line right?), the
    movies play, but the resulting video is really pixelated/grainy. I
    use FFDShow on my Windows box and after reading some posts it appears
    that it shares the same code base with libavcodec (which is what
    mplayer uses by default). Does anyone know why it looks so much
    better in Windows than in KDE?

    Thanks,

    Dave

  2. Re: Video

    hendedav@gmail.com wrote:
    > Gang,
    >
    > While playing with some of the media softwares over the last two
    > days, I was wondering if someone would help me with a question or
    > two. I am working the KMPlayer and just the mplayer (with no gui) to
    > see what gives me the best looking playback for videos. KMPlayer
    > comes with Xine as the default movie player, but I can't even get it
    > to load the videos (they appear as though they have been encoded with
    > Xvid). If I switch the movie player option to mplayer (which uses the
    > same mplayer binary as I would from the command line right?), the
    > movies play, but the resulting video is really pixelated/grainy. I
    > use FFDShow on my Windows box and after reading some posts it appears
    > that it shares the same code base with libavcodec (which is what
    > mplayer uses by default). Does anyone know why it looks so much
    > better in Windows than in KDE?

    Could be that you miss the win32codecs package?

    --

    //Aho

  3. Re: Video

    On Jun 16, 12:41 am, "J.O. Aho" wrote:
    > hende...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Gang,

    > > While playing with some of the media softwares over the last two
    > > days, I was wondering if someone would help me with a question or
    > > two. I am working the KMPlayer and just the mplayer (with no gui) to
    > > see what gives me the best looking playback for videos. KMPlayer
    > > comes with Xine as the default movie player, but I can't even get it
    > > to load the videos (they appear as though they have been encoded with
    > > Xvid). If I switch the movie player option to mplayer (which uses the
    > > same mplayer binary as I would from the command line right?), the
    > > movies play, but the resulting video is really pixelated/grainy. I
    > > use FFDShow on my Windows box and after reading some posts it appears
    > > that it shares the same code base with libavcodec (which is what
    > > mplayer uses by default). Does anyone know why it looks so much
    > > better in Windows than in KDE?

    > Could be that you miss the win32codecs package?
    >
    > --
    >
    > //Aho

    I know that I don't have the win32codecs installed (I was looking for
    an apt-get source for them to install them). If the video was encoded
    with Xvid, would it need the win32codecs?

  4. Re: Video

    hendedav@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Jun 16, 12:41 am, "J.O. Aho" wrote:
    >> hende...@gmail.com wrote:
    >>> Gang,
    >>> While playing with some of the media softwares over the last two
    >>> days, I was wondering if someone would help me with a question or
    >>> two. I am working the KMPlayer and just the mplayer (with no gui) to
    >>> see what gives me the best looking playback for videos. KMPlayer
    >>> comes with Xine as the default movie player, but I can't even get it
    >>> to load the videos (they appear as though they have been encoded with
    >>> Xvid). If I switch the movie player option to mplayer (which uses the
    >>> same mplayer binary as I would from the command line right?), the
    >>> movies play, but the resulting video is really pixelated/grainy. I
    >>> use FFDShow on my Windows box and after reading some posts it appears
    >>> that it shares the same code base with libavcodec (which is what
    >>> mplayer uses by default). Does anyone know why it looks so much
    >>> better in Windows than in KDE?

    >> Could be that you miss the win32codecs package?

    > I know that I don't have the win32codecs installed (I was looking for
    > an apt-get source for them to install them). If the video was encoded
    > with Xvid, would it need the win32codecs?

    I don't have the win32codecs on my 64bit machine, so I can't verify
    which codec can be find there, but it's a messy place with mainly old
    drivers and I think it's used as a fall back if no native driver has
    been found.

    If you run mplayer form command line, the you will see which library it
    uses for the movie you try to play. In general I have had better play on
    my Linux box than my friends have had on their microsoft infested machines.

    PS. Try to remove footers if your news client can't manage it, no point
    in posting irrelevant things.

    --

    //Aho

+ Reply to Thread