windows key - KDE

This is a discussion on windows key - KDE ; Gang, I am working with the KDE 4.0.3 desktop on a new laptop. I have used GNU/Linux for several years but almost exclusively on the command line. I decided to take a look at the new offerings of KDE as ...

  1. windows key

    Gang,

    I am working with the KDE 4.0.3 desktop on a new laptop. I have
    used GNU/Linux for several years but almost exclusively on the command
    line. I decided to take a look at the new offerings of KDE as a
    client GUI and must say and quite impressed (Plasma looks terrific)!
    However, I am having an issue with getting my windows key to activate
    the K menu. I looked at several other posting and KDE 4 must have a
    different layout for the system settings because where the other posts
    were telling me to go didn't exist. Others were saying to adjust
    xkb. I tried looking for that binary, but couldn't find it on my
    system (Kubuntu). Any help would greatly be appreciated.

    Also does anyone know if the "KWin Cover Switch Effect" and
    "Wobbling Windows" are just new features to the KDE 4.1 beta or do I
    have them in the 4.0.3 release as well?

    Thanks,

    Dave Henderson

  2. Re: windows key

    On Jun 14, 5:49*pm, hende...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Gang,
    >
    > * * *I am working with the KDE 4.0.3 desktop on a new laptop. *I have
    > used GNU/Linux for several years but almost exclusively on the command
    > line. *I decided to take a look at the new offerings of KDE as a
    > client GUI and must say and quite impressed (Plasma looks terrific)!
    > However, I am having an issue with getting my windows key to activate
    > the K menu. *I looked at several other posting and KDE 4 must have a
    > different layout for the system settings because where the other posts
    > were telling me to go didn't exist. *Others were saying to adjust
    > xkb. *I tried looking for that binary, but couldn't find it on my
    > system (Kubuntu). *Any help would greatly be appreciated.
    >
    > * * *Also does anyone know if the "KWin Cover Switch Effect" and
    > "Wobbling Windows" are just new features to the KDE 4.1 beta or do I
    > have them in the 4.0.3 release as well?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Dave Henderson

    I just looked at the release goals for the 4.1 version and see that
    the "Cover Switch" and "Wobbling Windows" were in there, so I guess I
    don't have that functionality in the 4.0.3 release. Can't wait for
    the 4.1!

  3. Re: windows key

    On Jun 14, 5:54 pm, hende...@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Jun 14, 5:49 pm, hende...@gmail.com wrote:
    >

    > > Gang,

    > > I am working with the KDE 4.0.3 desktop on a new laptop. I have
    > > used GNU/Linux for several years but almost exclusively on the command
    > > line. I decided to take a look at the new offerings of KDE as a
    > > client GUI and must say and quite impressed (Plasma looks terrific)!
    > > However, I am having an issue with getting mywindowskeyto activate
    > > the K menu. I looked at several other posting and KDE 4 must have a
    > > different layout for the system settings because where the other posts
    > > were telling me to go didn't exist. Others were saying to adjust
    > > xkb. I tried looking for that binary, but couldn't find it on my
    > > system (Kubuntu). Any help would greatly be appreciated.

    > > Also does anyone know if the "KWin Cover Switch Effect" and
    > > "WobblingWindows" are just new features to the KDE 4.1 beta or do I
    > > have them in the 4.0.3 release as well?

    > > Thanks,

    > > Dave Henderson

    > I just looked at the release goals for the 4.1 version and see that
    > the "Cover Switch" and "WobblingWindows" were in there, so I guess I
    > don't have that functionality in the 4.0.3 release. Can't wait for
    > the 4.1!

    Does anyone have any ideas on the Windows Key (meta key) not working?

  4. Re: windows key

    On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 14:49:39 -0700, hendedav wrote:

    > I am having an issue with getting my windows key to activate the Kmenu.
    > I looked at several other posting and KDE 4 must have a different layout
    > for the system settings because where the other posts were telling me to
    > go didn't exist. Others were saying to adjust xkb. I tried looking for
    > that binary, but couldn't find it on my system (Kubuntu). Any help
    > would greatly be appreciated.

    This may help get you pointed in the right direction:

    http://forum.xfce.org/index.php?topic=2401.0

    --
    Link Porterfield

+ Reply to Thread