What the hell happened to KDE? - KDE

This is a discussion on What the hell happened to KDE? - KDE ; I just installed Fedora 9, and KDE 4.04 looks and behaves horribly. There's a large black taskbar, with options only a couple of configuration options. The new system menu is horrible, and most entries are duplicates. I tried changing some ...

  1. What the hell happened to KDE?

    I just installed Fedora 9, and KDE 4.04 looks and behaves horribly.
    There's a large black taskbar, with options only a couple of configuration
    options. The new system menu is horrible, and most entries are duplicates.
    I tried changing some settings of konsole, and three times it just
    disappeared. There were numerous other problems and ugliness encountered,
    and when I logged out of KDE, the crash dialog appeared. Also, when I
    restarted KDE, the taskbar was not there. Has anyone else had similar
    experience with KDE 4.04? FYI, my system is completely updated. I may
    try uninstalling KDE, then reinstall.

  2. Re: What the hell happened to KDE?

    Fred wrote:
    > I just installed Fedora 9, and KDE 4.04 looks and behaves horribly.
    > There's a large black taskbar, with options only a couple of configuration
    > options.

    It's the OSX-fever that has hit the developers

    > The new system menu is horrible, and most entries are duplicates.
    > I tried changing some settings of konsole, and three times it just
    > disappeared. There were numerous other problems and ugliness encountered,
    > and when I logged out of KDE, the crash dialog appeared. Also, when I
    > restarted KDE, the taskbar was not there. Has anyone else had similar
    > experience with KDE 4.04? FYI, my system is completely updated. I may
    > try uninstalling KDE, then reinstall.

    KDE 4.0.X is just a "make it to work a bit" release of KDE4, you should
    wait for KDE 4.1, thats supposed to be the real thing.
    Personally I think KDE 3.5.9 is the one people/distributions should use
    by default.

    --

    //Aho

  3. Re: What the hell happened to KDE?

    Fred wrote:

    > I just installed Fedora 9, and KDE 4.04 looks and behaves horribly.
    > There's a large black taskbar, with options only a couple of configuration
    > options. The new system menu is horrible, and most entries are duplicates.
    > I tried changing some settings of konsole, and three times it just
    > disappeared. There were numerous other problems and ugliness encountered,
    > and when I logged out of KDE, the crash dialog appeared. Also, when I
    > restarted KDE, the taskbar was not there. Has anyone else had similar
    > experience with KDE 4.04? FYI, my system is completely updated. I may
    > try uninstalling KDE, then reinstall.

    There were a large number of minor problems with KDE-4 under Fedora-9.
    Most of them have been solved, as you would find
    from the Fedora mailing list (newsgroup gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.general).
    I should perservere, and it will all come more or less right.

    --
    Timothy Murphy
    e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

  4. Re: What the hell happened to KDE?

    On May 30, 9:51*pm, Fred wrote:
    > I just installed Fedora 9, and KDE 4.04 looks and behaves horribly.
    > There's a large black taskbar, with options only a couple of configuration
    > options. The new system menu is horrible, and most entries are duplicates..
    > *I tried changing some settings of konsole, and three times it just
    > disappeared. There were numerous other problems and ugliness encountered,
    > and when I logged out of KDE, the crash dialog appeared. *Also, when I
    > restarted KDE, the taskbar was not there. *Has anyone else had similar
    > experience with KDE 4.04? *FYI, my system is completely updated. *I may
    > try uninstalling KDE, then reinstall.

    I just mirrored a similar feeling/experience in my most recent post.
    I tried reinstalling KDE also, it didn't help.

    Also, "wait for 4.1" is hardly a valid response considering that
    Fedora 9 *comes with* 4.0x .. one has no choice.

  5. Re: What the hell happened to KDE?

    Ben wrote:

    > On May 30, 9:51*pm, Fred wrote:
    >> I just installed Fedora 9, and KDE 4.04 looks and behaves horribly.
    >> There's a large black taskbar, with options only a couple of
    >> configuration options. The new system menu is horrible, and most entries
    >> are duplicates. I tried changing some settings of konsole, and three
    >> times it just disappeared. There were numerous other problems and
    >> ugliness encountered, and when I logged out of KDE, the crash dialog
    >> appeared. *Also, when I restarted KDE, the taskbar was not there. *Has
    >> anyone else had similar experience with KDE 4.04? *FYI, my system is
    >> completely updated. *I may try uninstalling KDE, then reinstall.

    > I just mirrored a similar feeling/experience in my most recent post.
    > I tried reinstalling KDE also, it didn't help.
    >
    > Also, "wait for 4.1" is hardly a valid response considering that
    > Fedora 9 *comes with* 4.0x .. one has no choice.

    Try a distribution that provides KDE3.
    Mandriva comes with KDE 3 as default, and if you want to install KDE4, you
    have to install it by your own will.
    Pls. just try kde4 if and only if you are looking for trouble.

+ Reply to Thread