KDE installation problem - KDE

This is a discussion on KDE installation problem - KDE ; I've just installed KDE on Fedora 9. But during the installation of Fedora itself I installed GNOME without realizing. Now I installed KDE; everything seems ok, except that some apps seem to retain some things that look like they did ...

  1. KDE installation problem

    I've just installed KDE on Fedora 9. But during the installation of
    Fedora itself I installed GNOME without realizing. Now I installed
    KDE; everything seems ok, except that some apps seem to retain some
    things that look like they did in GNOME (i.e, a few widgets like
    menus, scrollbars, and maybe some icons), and some have a look which
    seems more like KDE's. Is this normal, or is it because I installed
    KDE after having GNOME? If it's the latter: is there anyway to solve
    thins? Or should I reinstall Fedora and choose KDE during the
    installation?

    Thanks,
    Sebastian

  2. Re: KDE installation problem

    s0suk3@gmail.com wrote:
    > I've just installed KDE on Fedora 9. But during the installation of
    > Fedora itself I installed GNOME without realizing. Now I installed
    > KDE; everything seems ok, except that some apps seem to retain some
    > things that look like they did in GNOME (i.e, a few widgets like
    > menus, scrollbars, and maybe some icons), and some have a look which
    > seems more like KDE's. Is this normal, or is it because I installed
    > KDE after having GNOME? If it's the latter: is there anyway to solve
    > thins? Or should I reinstall Fedora and choose KDE during the
    > installation?

    You can divide applications into three groups, qt-based, gtk-based and
    the rest. The majority of applications (we only talk about GUI based)
    belongs to the two first groups.

    No matter in which order you install the applications or the desktop
    environments, they still will look like they do for you at the moment.
    What you can do is to install gtk-qt-engine, which will make your
    qt-theme to fit gtk2, this will not change everything, like the backward
    order of the buttons in gnome2. Tools that uses gtk+ will still look as
    they did and other tool sets will also keep their looks.

    --

    //Aho

  3. Re: KDE installation problem

    I decided to reinstall Fedora. Nowhere during the installation process
    was I given the choice of selecting KDE (nor any other desktop
    environment) instead of GNOME. What am I missing? (I don't think I
    would've missed it twice...).

  4. Re: KDE installation problem

    On 2008-05-26, s0suk3@gmail.com wrote:
    > I decided to reinstall Fedora. Nowhere during the installation process
    > was I given the choice of selecting KDE (nor any other desktop
    > environment) instead of GNOME. What am I missing? (I don't think I
    > would've missed it twice...).

    If you don't think KDE is installed, try:
    # yum groupinstall "KDE (K Desktop Environment)"

    and have a look at http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/KDE
    It's written for FC7, but should help.

    Regards,
    Ian.

  5. Re: KDE installation problem

    Hello,

    s0suk3@gmail.com wrote:

    > I've just installed KDE on Fedora 9. But during the installation of
    > Fedora itself I installed GNOME without realizing. Now I installed
    > KDE; everything seems ok, except that some apps seem to retain some
    > things that look like they did in GNOME (i.e, a few widgets like
    > menus, scrollbars, and maybe some icons), and some have a look which
    > seems more like KDE's. Is this normal, or is it because I installed
    > KDE after having GNOME? If it's the latter: is there anyway to solve
    > thins? Or should I reinstall Fedora and choose KDE during the
    > installation?

    There is some effort to make the application look the same, like using
    gtk-themes in Qt/KDE and vice versa using Qt/KDE themes in GNOME. So
    maybe Fedora has patched into that direction. So it's not a bug, it's a
    feature. And I can imagine that it might be an advantage for some users
    to have this if it is completely done.

    Bernd Strieder

  6. Re: KDE installation problem

    On May 27, 9:38*am, Bernd Strieder
    wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > s0s...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > I've just installed KDE on Fedora 9. But during the installation of
    > > Fedora itself I installed GNOME without realizing. Now I installed
    > > KDE; everything seems ok, except that some apps seem to retain some
    > > things that look like they did in GNOME (i.e, a few widgets like
    > > menus, scrollbars, and maybe some icons), and some have a look which
    > > seems more like KDE's. Is this normal, or is it because I installed
    > > KDE after having GNOME? If it's the latter: is there anyway to solve
    > > thins? Or should I reinstall Fedora and choose KDE during the
    > > installation?

    > There is some effort to make the application look the same, like using
    > gtk-themes in Qt/KDE and vice versa using Qt/KDE themes in GNOME. So
    > maybe Fedora has patched into that direction. So it's not a bug, it's a
    > feature. And I can imagine that it might be an advantage for some users
    > to have this if it is completely done.

    I got the installer to install KDE instead of GNOME. If it's a
    feature, like you say, I think it isn't a very good one. I think it
    would better to have each with its own look. For example, Konqueror is
    looking great, with all the widgets like menus, scrollbars, buttons,
    checkboxes, tabs, text entries, etc looking more KDE'ish. Firefox, on
    the other hand, doesn't look at all like that; now that GNOME isn't
    intalled, it doesn't even look like it did when it was installed.

+ Reply to Thread