SU password default-save - KDE

This is a discussion on SU password default-save - KDE ; The su password popup defaults to save the password. IMHO this is in general a security no-no but that's not the point here. I missed it the other day while setting up a user and it saved the password. Then ...

  1. SU password default-save

    The su password popup defaults to save the password. IMHO this is in
    general a security no-no but that's not the point here. I missed it
    the other day while setting up a user and it saved the password. Then
    the root password got changed and it became impossible to su under KDE
    anymore. Using Suse-10.3, KDE3 has been updated a couple of times
    since but I'm not about to try this again.

  2. Re: SU password default-save

    tinkering@no.net wrote:

    > The su password popup defaults to save the password. IMHO this is in
    > general a security no-no but that's not the point here. I missed it the
    > other day while setting up a user and it saved the password. Then the
    > root password got changed and it became impossible to su under KDE
    > anymore. Using Suse-10.3, KDE3 has been updated a couple of times since
    > but I'm not about to try this again.

    Myself I use the su and not kdesu, so I don't have this kind of trouble.
    If I would be you, I would take a look at two places,
    ~/.kde/share/apps/kdesu or/and kwallet.

    --

    //Aho

  3. Re: SU password default-save

    J.O. Aho wrote:
    > tinkering@no.net wrote:
    >>
    >> The su password popup defaults to save the password. IMHO this is in
    >> general a security no-no but that's not the point here. I missed it
    >> the other day while setting up a user and it saved the password. Then
    >> the root password got changed and it became impossible to su under KDE
    >> anymore. Using Suse-10.3, KDE3 has been updated a couple of times
    >> since but I'm not about to try this again.

    > Myself I use the su and not kdesu, so I don't have this kind of trouble.
    > If I would be you, I would take a look at two places,

    > ~/.kde/share/apps/kdesu

    no such folder

    > or/and kwallet.

    empty

    I meant the the popup like when I menu-select a prog requiring root
    password (kde or non-kde).

+ Reply to Thread