Does KMail work with LDAP? - KDE

This is a discussion on Does KMail work with LDAP? - KDE ; Hello, In my case, KDE 3.5.8, KMail 1.9.7 FreeBSD 7.0 I've searched a bit over the web and groups and it seems there's little information, and what little there is is discouraging. As for my own experience, KMail will export ...

  1. Does KMail work with LDAP?

    Hello,

    In my case, KDE 3.5.8, KMail 1.9.7 FreeBSD 7.0

    I've searched a bit over the web and groups and it seems there's little
    information, and what little there is is discouraging.

    As for my own experience, KMail will export to ldif format, but seems to use
    non-standard attributes...? Alternatively, where can one find the schema(s)
    Kmail uses?

    Finally, when I ask KMail to search for something in my ldap database all I
    get is a message indicating ldap didn't like the request syntax...?

    TIA
    Bernard Higonnet

  2. Re: Does KMail work with LDAP?

    Bernard T. Higonnet wrote:

    > In my case, KDE 3.5.8, KMail 1.9.7 FreeBSD 7.0
    >
    > I've searched a bit over the web and groups and it seems there's little
    > information, and what little there is is discouraging.
    >
    > As for my own experience, KMail will export to ldif format, but seems to
    > use non-standard attributes...? Alternatively, where can one find the
    > schema(s) Kmail uses?
    >
    > Finally, when I ask KMail to search for something in my ldap database all
    > I get is a message indicating ldap didn't like the request syntax...?

    I have KMail working fine with OpenLDAP under Fedora-8.

    I think there are two quite separate issues in what you say.

    Firstly, I don't think there is any straightforward way
    to use an LDIF file exported from KAddressBook.
    I think you have to translate the file into something sensible,
    eg using the Perl script (probably with some modification)
    .

    However, I find it reasonably simple to use an OpenLDAP directory
    with KMail/KAddressBook , after giving the host and DN in LDAP Lookup .
    (On the other hand, I haven't been able to get it to work
    with TLS Security.)

  3. Re: Does KMail work with LDAP?

    Timothy Murphy wrote:

    > I think there are two quite separate issues in what you say.
    >
    > I think you have to translate the file into something sensible,
    > eg using the Perl script (probably with some modification)
    > .

    Thanks

    > However, I find it reasonably simple to use an OpenLDAP directory
    > with KMail/KAddressBook , after giving the host and DN in LDAP Lookup .

    When I try to search for something I always get an error message that the
    ldap server (openldap24-server) claimed a syntax error in the request:

    Invalid DN syntax
    Additional info: invalid DN

    This puzzles me, as both GQ and ldapbrowser can find the server and show its
    contents...??

    In the window in which I specify the ldap server's properties, if I leave
    the DN field empty and query the server he gets the right DN and puts it in
    the field.

    Bernard Higonnet

  4. Re: Does KMail work with LDAP?

    Bernard T. Higonnet wrote:

    > Timothy Murphy wrote:
    >
    >> I think there are two quite separate issues in what you say.
    >>
    >> I think you have to translate the file into something sensible,
    >> eg using the Perl script (probably with some modification)
    >> .

    > Thanks
    >
    >> However, I find it reasonably simple to use an OpenLDAP directory
    >> with KMail/KAddressBook , after giving the host and DN in LDAP Lookup .

    > When I try to search for something I always get an error message that the
    > ldap server (openldap24-server) claimed a syntax error in the request:
    >
    > Invalid DN syntax
    > Additional info: invalid DN

    Had improperly configured my user DN...

    Sorry about that!