Suggestion for alternate to virtual desktop window - KDE

This is a discussion on Suggestion for alternate to virtual desktop window - KDE ; I have a suggestion to add to future KDE versions. This would be an alternate to a scrolling virtual desktop while allowing the user to play full screen games at a higher resolution than the desktop. Allow the user to ...

  1. Suggestion for alternate to virtual desktop window

    I have a suggestion to add to future KDE versions. This would be an
    alternate to a scrolling virtual desktop while allowing the user to play
    full screen games at a higher resolution than the desktop.

    Allow the user to select a desktop resolution that they want for the
    desktop. This could be a called a "desktop viewport." If it is lower
    than the max resolution in the X config file KDE would:

    1) Set a "viewport" at the upper left at the size the user requests
    (similar to xrandr)
    1) Restrict mouse movement to this viewport
    2) Move the panel to where the user has selected relative to the
    "viewport"
    3) All windows that are opened are positioned in this viewport
    4) All window "snap to edge" features, backgrounds, etc would be set to
    this viewport

    The only issue I can think of that may happen is when a non KDE
    application requests the size of the root window. I think it should be
    reported as the viewport size instead of the actual size so popup menu
    placement, etc will be handled correctly. This may be tricky.

    I would like to get some opinions on this and hopefully, if feasible, a
    nice KDE developer will implement it.

    Thanks,
    Charlie

  2. Re: Suggestion for alternate to virtual desktop window

    CharlieB wrote:
    > I have a suggestion to add to future KDE versions. This would be an
    > alternate to a scrolling virtual desktop while allowing the user to play
    > full screen games at a higher resolution than the desktop.

    I believe that you need to make a suggestion to the xorg developers, as
    you will be limited in this case of the xorg settings.

    --

    //Aho

+ Reply to Thread