kmail + imap problem - KDE

This is a discussion on kmail + imap problem - KDE ; I keep my email on my server, and read it using kmail (through a dovecot/imap account) on my laptop . I've been having a problem which seems to be getting worse lately, where I cannot see a few recent email ...

  1. kmail + imap problem

    I keep my email on my server, and read it using kmail
    (through a dovecot/imap account) on my laptop .

    I've been having a problem which seems to be getting worse lately,
    where I cannot see a few recent email messages -
    the message is listed, but when I click on it the page is blank.

    I've also found kmail crashing more often than it used to do.
    [I'm running Fedora-8, with the latest updated versions
    of all applications.]

    I wonder if anyone else has been meeting this problem?
    It's rather spasmodic, in my case -
    the email may well re-appear when I next run kmail .

    I'm not sure if one can delete kmail or dovecot index files
    without bad consequences?

    Any suggestions or advice gratefully received.

  2. Re: kmail + imap problem

    Timothy Murphy wrote:

    > I keep my email on my server, and read it using kmail
    > (through a dovecot/imap account) on my laptop .
    >
    > I've been having a problem which seems to be getting worse lately,
    > where I cannot see a few recent email messages -
    > the message is listed, but when I click on it the page is blank.

    Well I cannot say if my problem is related to the one you just described but
    at least for my problem there is a simple solution: If I click on a message
    in a folder on a imap server sometimes the message does not appear. In
    this case it helps to simply select any other imap folder and then
    immedeately back again the folder you came from. Now I can see the mail
    text that was not displayed before.

    Rainer
    --
    Rainer Krienke, Uni Koblenz, Rechenzentrum, A22, Universitaetsstrasse 1
    56070 Koblenz, http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~krienke, Tel: +49261287 1312

  3. Re: kmail + imap problem

    Rainer Krienke wrote:

    > Timothy Murphy wrote:
    >
    >> I keep my email on my server, and read it using kmail
    >> (through a dovecot/imap account) on my laptop .
    >>
    >> I've been having a problem which seems to be getting worse lately,
    >> where I cannot see a few recent email messages -
    >> the message is listed, but when I click on it the page is blank.

    > Well I cannot say if my problem is related to the one you just described
    > but at least for my problem there is a simple solution: If I click on a
    > message
    > in a folder on a imap server sometimes the message does not appear. In
    > this case it helps to simply select any other imap folder and then
    > immedeately back again the folder you came from. Now I can see the mail
    > text that was not displayed before.
    >
    > Rainer

    Just a thought: you might try pressing F5 to refresh the list.

    John.

    --
    Using the Gray Box

  4. Re: kmail + imap problem

    John K. Herreshoff wrote:

    > Just a thought: you might try pressing F5 to refresh the list.

    I will try that, the next time the problem occurs.

    Thanks
    Rainer
    --
    Rainer Krienke, Uni Koblenz, Rechenzentrum, A22, Universitaetsstrasse 1
    56070 Koblenz, http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~krienke, Tel: +49261287 1312
    PGP: http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~krienke/mypgp.html,Fax: +49261287 1001312

  5. Re: kmail + imap problem

    Rainer Krienke wrote:

    >> Just a thought: you might try pressing F5 to refresh the list.

    > I will try that, the next time the problem occurs.

    As the OP, the problem has not recurred since I asked about it.
    Maybe that is a magic solution - write to the KDE newsgroup
    and your problem will be solved.

  6. Re: kmail + imap problem

    On 2008-04-15, Timothy Murphy wrote:
    > Rainer Krienke wrote:
    >
    >>> Just a thought: you might try pressing F5 to refresh the list.

    >> I will try that, the next time the problem occurs.

    > As the OP, the problem has not recurred since I asked about it.
    > Maybe that is a magic solution - write to the KDE newsgroup
    > and your problem will be solved.

    Timothy,
    i actually have the *exact* same issue,
    dovecot server, kmail client through imap.
    occasionally it'll have a message that is blank, no sender, or anything,
    and i can not delete it.

    i've found that the crashing of kmail, usually has something to do with
    me have done several new actions, as or before it can relay it back to
    the imap server. like if it is currently downloading new messages and i
    delte some email, and then empty trash, and possibly if i click to
    refresh the new messages again. almost as if it can not stablily handle
    the que pool of events.

    what i have done to fix the blank email, is set up a webmail on my
    webserver, i've tried the roundcube project and the squirrelmail
    project, both have their pros/cons. but they do allow me to directly
    delete these phantom emails.

    to fix the crashing, is be patient, and sometimes, unfortunately, the
    crashing is *unpreventable*.

    vb

  7. Re: kmail + imap problem

    Vincent Batts wrote:

    > Timothy,
    > i actually have the *exact* same issue,
    > dovecot server, kmail client through imap.
    > occasionally it'll have a message that is blank, no sender, or anything,
    > and i can not delete it.
    >
    > i've found that the crashing of kmail, usually has something to do with
    > me have done several new actions, as or before it can relay it back to
    > the imap server. like if it is currently downloading new messages and i
    > delte some email, and then empty trash, and possibly if i click to
    > refresh the new messages again. almost as if it can not stablily handle
    > the que pool of events.
    >
    > what i have done to fix the blank email, is set up a webmail on my
    > webserver, i've tried the roundcube project and the squirrelmail
    > project, both have their pros/cons. but they do allow me to directly
    > delete these phantom emails.
    >
    > to fix the crashing, is be patient, and sometimes, unfortunately, the
    > crashing is *unpreventable*.

    Touch wood, I haven't had the disappearing mail problem
    since I posted my query about it -
    it seems very unpredictable -
    I hope it was caused, and cured, by kmail and/or dovecot updates.

    The only thing I found that usually worked - when I had the problem -
    was to login to the dovecot/imap server, and run kmail remotely there.

    Other people have recommended web-mail,
    but I like the KDE combination of kontact/kmail/knode (when they work!).

  8. Re: kmail + imap problem

    On 2008-04-24, Timothy Murphy wrote:
    > Vincent Batts wrote:
    >
    >> Timothy,
    >> i actually have the *exact* same issue,
    >> dovecot server, kmail client through imap.
    >> occasionally it'll have a message that is blank, no sender, or anything,
    >> and i can not delete it.
    >>
    >> i've found that the crashing of kmail, usually has something to do with
    >> me have done several new actions, as or before it can relay it back to
    >> the imap server. like if it is currently downloading new messages and i
    >> delte some email, and then empty trash, and possibly if i click to
    >> refresh the new messages again. almost as if it can not stablily handle
    >> the que pool of events.
    >>
    >> what i have done to fix the blank email, is set up a webmail on my
    >> webserver, i've tried the roundcube project and the squirrelmail
    >> project, both have their pros/cons. but they do allow me to directly
    >> delete these phantom emails.
    >>
    >> to fix the crashing, is be patient, and sometimes, unfortunately, the
    >> crashing is *unpreventable*.

    > Touch wood, I haven't had the disappearing mail problem
    > since I posted my query about it -
    > it seems very unpredictable -
    > I hope it was caused, and cured, by kmail and/or dovecot updates.
    >
    > The only thing I found that usually worked - when I had the problem -
    > was to login to the dovecot/imap server, and run kmail remotely there.
    >
    > Other people have recommended web-mail,
    > but I like the KDE combination of kontact/kmail/knode (when they work!).

    agreed, i like the kmail, i use the full kontact suite.
    with news feeds, my address book is utilizing our active directory
    phonebook, through LDAP. and my calendars ared shared with the windows
    folks in our office through remote *.ics files.
    the webmbail i *only* use when i need to

    vb

+ Reply to Thread