Windows appear behind... - KDE

This is a discussion on Windows appear behind... - KDE ; Greetings, Any new windows I generate appear behind the active window. Very frustrating. I can't figure out how to fix this and have very few custom window settings except to force an app to a particular desktop--which I've done for ...

  1. Windows appear behind...

    Greetings,
    Any new windows I generate appear behind the active window. Very
    frustrating.

    I can't figure out how to fix this and have very few custom window settings
    except to force an app to a particular desktop--which I've done for years.

    New install, Suse 10.3, KDE 3.5.9.

    --
    Nasrudin walked into a teahouse and declaimed, "The moon is more useful
    than the sun." "Why?", he was asked. "Because at night we need the

  2. Re: Windows appear behind...

    Pete Puma wrote :

    > Any new windows I generate appear behind the active window. Very
    > frustrating.

    Start the "Control Center" and go to "Desktop"|"Window Behavior" and
    choose the "Advanced" pane. Here you'll find a setting named "Focus
    stealing prevention level", and if you set this to "Low" in the dropdown
    menu then new windows should start on top of the others.
    --
    Thomas O.

  3. Re: Windows appear behind...

    On Thursday 03 April 2008 03:56 pm, Thomas Overgaard @ thover@post2.tele.dk
    wrote:

    > Pete Puma wrote :
    >
    >> Any new windows I generate appear behind the active window. Very
    >> frustrating.

    > Start the "Control Center" and go to "Desktop"|"Window Behavior" and
    > choose the "Advanced" pane. Here you'll find a setting named "Focus
    > stealing prevention level", and if you set this to "Low" in the dropdown
    > menu then new windows should start on top of the others.

    Thanks, T-O!
    It was the "Hide utility windows for inactive applications" checkbox that
    was goofing with me. Why it treated main windows as utility windows puzzles
    me. This install is 2 days old, shouldn't have wacky config files yet...

    Are you using a command-line reader? Not familiar with Gnus/5...

    --
    Get forgiveness now -- tomorrow you may no longer feel guilty.

  4. Re: Windows appear behind...

    Pete Puma wrote :

    > Are you using a command-line reader? Not familiar with Gnus/5...

    It can be both. You can use Gnus with both Emacs and XEmacs, with Emacs
    its a console reader.

    Its a great newsreader but the configuration is not a easy job for a
    newcomer.
    --
    Thomas O.