How can I remove distro branding? - KDE

This is a discussion on How can I remove distro branding? - KDE ; Hi I recently installed Suse 10.3 with KDE. How can I restore KDE to its "normal" behaviour , eg with the proper startup item list instead of just an "opensuse" logo and a KDE badged start menu rather than the ...

  1. How can I remove distro branding?

    Hi

    I recently installed Suse 10.3 with KDE. How can I restore KDE to its
    "normal" behaviour , eg with the proper startup item list instead of
    just an "opensuse" logo and a KDE badged start menu rather than the
    stupid green lizard icon on the button and "opensuse" plastered
    everywhere?

    Thanks for any help

    B2003

  2. Re: How can I remove distro branding?

    Boltar wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I recently installed Suse 10.3 with KDE. How can I restore KDE to its
    > "normal" behaviour , eg with the proper startup item list instead of
    > just an "opensuse" logo and a KDE badged start menu rather than the
    > stupid green lizard icon on the button and "opensuse" plastered
    > everywhere?
    >
    > Thanks for any help
    >
    > B2003

    Either go to kde.org and download the pristine binaries/source yourself
    and install that, or, install Debian which doesn't have invasive or
    lurid branding

    --
    Regards,
    Sheridan Hutchinson

  3. Re: How can I remove distro branding?

    On Mar 18, 4:34 pm, Sheridan Hutchinson wrote:
    > Boltar wrote:
    > > Hi

    > > I recently installed Suse 10.3 with KDE. How can I restore KDE to its
    > > "normal" behaviour , eg with the proper startup item list instead of
    > > just an "opensuse" logo and a KDE badged start menu rather than the
    > > stupid green lizard icon on the button and "opensuse" plastered
    > > everywhere?

    > > Thanks for any help

    > > B2003

    > Either go to kde.org and download the pristine binaries/source yourself
    > and install that, or, install Debian which doesn't have invasive or
    > lurid branding

    Is the branding coded into the binaries?? I assumed it was just
    config file changes and some different jpgs.

    B2003

  4. Re: How can I remove distro branding?

    Boltar did scribble:

    > Hi
    >
    > I recently installed Suse 10.3 with KDE. How can I restore KDE to its
    > "normal" behaviour , eg with the proper startup item list instead of
    > just an "opensuse" logo and a KDE badged start menu rather than the
    > stupid green lizard icon on the button and "opensuse" plastered
    > everywhere?
    >
    > Thanks for any help
    >
    > B2003

    Ive never used SuSe so am not sure if this advice will hold 100% salt>. However in KDE you can change the item in question through system
    settings / splash screen.
    In kubuntu there are several choices
    FingerPrint http://moodwrod.com
    MoodinKDE http://moodwrod.com
    blue-bend http://www.everaldo.com
    kubuntu http://bootsplash.org/

    --
    Hardware n: Parts of the computer you can kick

  5. Re: How can I remove distro branding?

    Boltar wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > I recently installed Suse 10.3 with KDE. How can I restore KDE to its
    > "normal" behaviour , eg with the proper startup item list instead of
    > just an "opensuse" logo and a KDE badged start menu rather than the
    > stupid green lizard icon on the button and "opensuse" plastered
    > everywhere?
    >
    > Thanks for any help
    >
    > B2003

    Right click on the green lizard, and choose 'kde style menu'.
    --
    *********** To reply by e-mail, make w single in address **************

  6. Re: How can I remove distro branding?

    On Mar 18, 7:03 pm, Ian Gay wrote:
    > Right click on the green lizard, and choose 'kde style menu'.

    Tried that , all I get the picture of a lizard head on the button.

    B2003

  7. Re: How can I remove distro branding?

    Boltar wrote:

    > On Mar 18, 4:34 pm, Sheridan Hutchinson wrote:
    >> Boltar wrote:
    >> > Hi

    >> > I recently installed Suse 10.3 with KDE. How can I restore KDE to its
    >> > "normal" behaviour , eg with the proper startup item list instead of
    >> > just an "opensuse" logo and a KDE badged start menu rather than the
    >> > stupid green lizard icon on the button and "opensuse" plastered
    >> > everywhere?

    >> > Thanks for any help

    >> > B2003

    >> Either go to kde.org and download the pristine binaries/source yourself
    >> and install that, or, install Debian which doesn't have invasive or
    >> lurid branding

    > Is the branding coded into the binaries?? I assumed it was just
    > config file changes and some different jpgs.

    Search in yast for "branding" -- the suse branding packages are clearly
    labeled.

+ Reply to Thread