Insert Unicode Characters - KDE

This is a discussion on Insert Unicode Characters - KDE ; Hey, I migrated from Windows to Kubuntu and I am missing the ability to insert special characters (espeacily Unicode Characters) such as Em or En dash. Within Windows you simply use ALT + {Number} (often refered to as alt codes), ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Insert Unicode Characters

  1. Insert Unicode Characters

    Hey,

    I migrated from Windows to Kubuntu and I am missing the ability to insert
    special characters (espeacily Unicode Characters) such as Em or En dash.
    Within Windows you simply use ALT + {Number} (often refered to as alt
    codes), GNOME seems also offering such technique (CTRL + SHIFT + U +
    {Unicode}). Is there any way to acomplish that with KDE, it should be
    system-widely usable not only in particular applications.

    I would also be happy, if there were the a not that sophisticated
    technique which at least gives me the possibility type some predifned
    characters.

    Best Regards,
    Renke

  2. Re: Insert Unicode Characters

    Renke Grunwald wrote:

    > Is there any way to acomplish that with KDE, it should be
    > system-widely usable not only in particular applications.
    >


    You might try KCharselect which can be found in Utilities > More
    applications which gives you the ability to store some of the less used
    characters in Klipper.
    --
    Two Ravens
    "...hit the squirrel..."

  3. Re: Insert Unicode Characters

    On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 05:06:55 +0100, Two Ravens
    wrote:

    > You might try KCharselect which can be found in Utilities > More
    > applications which gives you the ability to store some of the less used
    > characters in Klipper.



    Thank you for that advice. Actually, it gives me at least the ability to
    access some characters faster, but it is not the best solution I guess.
    The contens of Klipper are not persistent which would be a good solution.
    Do you guys know any other way? There really should be global solution
    like in GNOME oder Windows. I mean it would be very annoying if one wrote
    a lot of text without having fast access to important characters.

    Best Regards,
    Renke

  4. Re: Insert Unicode Characters

    Renke Grunwald wrote:

    > Do you guys know any other way? There really should be global
    > solution like in GNOME oder Windows. I mean it would be very annoying if
    > one wrote a lot of text without having fast access to important characters.


    You could use skim/scim, it will allow you to use a high number of different
    input methods, among others RAW CODE where you type the unicode number for the
    character you want to type.

    --

    //Aho

  5. Re: Insert Unicode Characters

    Renke Grunwald wrote:

    > Hey,
    >
    > I migrated from Windows to Kubuntu and I am missing the ability to
    > insert special characters (espeacily Unicode Characters) such as Em or
    > En dash. Within Windows you simply use ALT + {Number} (often refered
    > to as alt codes), GNOME seems also offering such technique (CTRL +
    > SHIFT + U +
    > {Unicode}). Is there any way to acomplish that with KDE, it should be
    > system-widely usable not only in particular applications.
    >
    > I would also be happy, if there were the a not that sophisticated
    > technique which at least gives me the possibility type some predifned
    > characters.
    >
    > Best Regards,
    > Renke


    In KDE, go to Personal Settings/regional&accessibility/keyboard layout/
    Xkb options, and choose whatever option suits you. I use a compose key,
    so , for example, I type winmenu ` e to enter è.
    or winmenu --- for — (em dash).
    --
    *********** To reply by e-mail, make w single in address **************

  6. Re: Insert Unicode Characters

    On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 05:06:55 +0100, Two Ravens
    wrote:

    > You might try KCharselect which can be found in Utilities > More
    > applications which gives you the ability to store some of the less used
    > characters in Klipper.


    Oh, have not seen that cool widget for the taskbar, which solves some
    problems for me (at least for the most commonly used characters), thank
    you.

    Best Regards,
    Renke

  7. Re: Insert Unicode Characters

    On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 08:18:11 +0100, J.O. Aho wrote:

    > You could use skim/scim, it will allow you to use a high number of
    > different input methods, among others RAW CODE where you type the
    > unicode number for the character you want to type.


    I installed skim and there where some shortcuts, but none of which seem to
    work. Do I have to install any additional package to use the raw insert
    mode?

    Best Regards,
    Renke


+ Reply to Thread