Re: Using ctrl-alt-F# keys crashes KDE and X. - KDE

This is a discussion on Re: Using ctrl-alt-F# keys crashes KDE and X. - KDE ; >> I am having a crash problem with my KDE v3.5.8 crashing X to console >> (I use startx command when booting up Debian). Anyways, I think I had >> this problem for months and maybe a year, but finally ...

  1. Re: Using ctrl-alt-F# keys crashes KDE and X.

    >> I am having a crash problem with my KDE v3.5.8 crashing X to console
    >> (I use startx command when booting up Debian). Anyways, I think I had
    >> this problem for months and maybe a year, but finally figured out the
    >> pattern to reproduce it.
    >>
    >> Basically in KDE, I go to virtual desktop 2, 3, or 4 (I have four set
    >> up). If I press ctrl-alt-F1 (or any other console screens) keys to go
    >> back to console/text mode, then KDE and X crash. I can reproduce this
    >> easily. If I am in virtual desktop #1, then no crash.
    >>
    >> I have two logs from X: http://pastebin.ca/936064 and I hope these
    >> help! Any ideas on what's the problem and how to fix it? Thank you in
    >> advance.

    > I tried disabling the default shortcut keys for virtual desktop (pager).
    > and I was still able to reproduce the crashes. I also tried
    > recompiling NVIDIA's latest driver, rebooting, etc.
    >
    > OK, my other old Linux account works (last used in late 2007) on my
    > Debian box and it had no problems (couldn't reproduce the crash). So I
    > went back to my normal account with the crash problem. I renamed .kde/
    > to another one and reran startx to let KDE to make new settings (skipped
    > the wizard). I was unable to reproduce the problem.
    >
    > So we're closer to the problem source. I don't feel like reconfiguring
    > my KDE at the moment. Are there anything I can look at? Maybe
    > configurations in my .kde/?

    OK I reproduced it without KDE, so it is not KDE's fault!

    I basically loaded up GKrellM2 (doesn't matter if it uses defaults or
    customized) with gkrellm-hdplop plugin running only on ONE virtual
    desktop in KDE v3.5 or Gnome v2. Then, I switched to another virtual
    desktop that didn't have GKrellM on screen.

    Then, I pressed ctrl-alt-F# (# is a number like 1) to go back to
    console/text mode. It resulted a X crash like:
    Backtrace:
    0: /usr/bin/X11/X(xf86SigHandler+0x81) [0x80c89c1]
    1: [0xffffe420]
    2: /usr/bin/X11/X [0x81771e0]
    3: /usr/bin/X11/X [0x814a8ba]
    4: /usr/bin/X11/X [0x814b504]
    5: /usr/bin/X11/X [0x8154c1e]
    6: /usr/bin/X11/X(Dispatch+0x1a1) [0x808eff1]
    7: /usr/bin/X11/X(main+0x47e) [0x8076e2e]
    8: /lib/i686/cmov/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xe0) [0xb7dc5450]
    9: /usr/bin/X11/X(FontFileCompleteXLFD+0x1e9) [0x80761b1]

    Fatal server error:
    Caught signal 11. Server aborting

    If I disable this plugin, then I won't get the crash. This plugin is so
    cool to have. I am just wondering if I am the only one with this problem.

    Thanks in advance.
    --
    "For an ant to have wings would be his (her) undoing." --Iranian
    /\___/\
    \ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
    ( ) or ANTant@zimage.com

  2. Re: Using ctrl-alt-F# keys crashes KDE and X.

    Ant wrote:

    >>> I am having a crash problem with my KDE v3.5.8 crashing X to console
    >>> (I use startx command when booting up Debian). Anyways, I think I had
    >>> this problem for months and maybe a year, but finally figured out the
    >>> pattern to reproduce it.
    >>>
    >>> Basically in KDE, I go to virtual desktop 2, 3, or 4 (I have four set
    >>> up). If I press ctrl-alt-F1 (or any other console screens) keys to go
    >>> back to console/text mode, then KDE and X crash. I can reproduce this
    >>> easily. If I am in virtual desktop #1, then no crash.
    >>>
    >>> I have two logs from X: http://pastebin.ca/936064 and I hope these
    >>> help! Any ideas on what's the problem and how to fix it? Thank you in
    >>> advance.

    >> I tried disabling the default shortcut keys for virtual desktop (pager).
    >> and I was still able to reproduce the crashes. I also tried
    >> recompiling NVIDIA's latest driver, rebooting, etc.
    >>
    >> OK, my other old Linux account works (last used in late 2007) on my
    >> Debian box and it had no problems (couldn't reproduce the crash). So I
    >> went back to my normal account with the crash problem. I renamed .kde/
    >> to another one and reran startx to let KDE to make new settings (skipped
    >> the wizard). I was unable to reproduce the problem.
    >>
    >> So we're closer to the problem source. I don't feel like reconfiguring
    >> my KDE at the moment. Are there anything I can look at? Maybe
    >> configurations in my .kde/?

    > OK I reproduced it without KDE, so it is not KDE's fault!
    >
    > I basically loaded up GKrellM2 (doesn't matter if it uses defaults or
    > customized) with gkrellm-hdplop plugin running only on ONE virtual
    > desktop in KDE v3.5 or Gnome v2. Then, I switched to another virtual
    > desktop that didn't have GKrellM on screen.
    >
    > Then, I pressed ctrl-alt-F# (# is a number like 1) to go back to
    > console/text mode. It resulted a X crash like:
    > Backtrace:
    > 0: /usr/bin/X11/X(xf86SigHandler+0x81) [0x80c89c1]
    > 1: [0xffffe420]
    > 2: /usr/bin/X11/X [0x81771e0]
    > 3: /usr/bin/X11/X [0x814a8ba]
    > 4: /usr/bin/X11/X [0x814b504]
    > 5: /usr/bin/X11/X [0x8154c1e]
    > 6: /usr/bin/X11/X(Dispatch+0x1a1) [0x808eff1]
    > 7: /usr/bin/X11/X(main+0x47e) [0x8076e2e]
    > 8: /lib/i686/cmov/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xe0) [0xb7dc5450]
    > 9: /usr/bin/X11/X(FontFileCompleteXLFD+0x1e9) [0x80761b1]
    >
    > Fatal server error:
    > Caught signal 11. Server aborting
    >

    > If I disable this plugin, then I won't get the crash. This plugin is so
    > cool to have. I am just wondering if I am the only one with this problem.
    >

    > Thanks in advance.

    I just tried this with Mandriva 2008 Spring, KDE 3.5.9; changed to Desktop2,
    then Ctrl-Alt-F1, then Ctrl-Alt-F7 and got my desktop back, but GKrellM had
    crashed with "Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.0."
    Sounds as though it is a problem with the plugin.

    Yes, the plugin is pretty, but I wouldn't sit around watching it.

    HTH,

    Doug.

+ Reply to Thread