KDE/Kwallet and passwords - KDE

This is a discussion on KDE/Kwallet and passwords - KDE ; I have been using kwallet for some time with limited success. Sometimes it works well, other times I have to give the kwallet password to gain access to knode, for example. But that is not my current problem. Sometime long ...

  1. KDE/Kwallet and passwords

    I have been using kwallet for some time with limited success. Sometimes it
    works well, other times I have to give the kwallet password to gain access
    to knode, for example. But that is not my current problem.

    Sometime long after I started using kwallet, it gratuitously changed my user
    password which I use to log on to my FC6 Linux machine. It took some
    fiddling before I realized what had happened and what my "new" password
    was.

    I want to revert to my old user account password and am willing that the
    kwallet password also change to that. However kcontrol does not like my
    password and refuses to make the change.

    Is it safe for me to just invoke the Linux passwd command to do this or will
    I find myself locked out of KDE applications?

    Cheers,

    Larry

  2. Re: KDE/Kwallet and passwords

    Larry Spitz wrote:
    > I have been using kwallet for some time with limited success. Sometimes it
    > works well, other times I have to give the kwallet password to gain access
    > to knode, for example. But that is not my current problem.

    Myself I use kwallet only for the passwords needed by kopete to login to
    different im, so I don't have knowhow about kwallet.

    > Is it safe for me to just invoke the Linux passwd command to do this or will
    > I find myself locked out of KDE applications?

    passwd will only change the password for logging into your account
    (regardless which desktop environment or windows manager you use), won't
    affect your kwallet.

    --

    //Aho

  3. Re: KDE/Kwallet and passwords

    J.O. Aho wrote:

    > Larry Spitz wrote:
    >> I have been using kwallet for some time with limited success. Sometimes
    >> it works well, other times I have to give the kwallet password to gain
    >> access to knode, for example. But that is not my current problem.

    > Myself I use kwallet only for the passwords needed by kopete to login to
    > different im, so I don't have knowhow about kwallet.
    >

    >> Is it safe for me to just invoke the Linux passwd command to do this or
    >> will I find myself locked out of KDE applications?

    > passwd will only change the password for logging into your account
    > (regardless which desktop environment or windows manager you use), won't
    > affect your kwallet.

    I ditched kwallet. It is there to protect your passwords from hackers.
    Without it, you can use your passwords just as you used to. But if you
    need a tool to remember your collection of passwords, kwallet is probably
    more secure than an unencrypted file or application. Even with kwallet
    disabled or uninstalled, some apps go looking for it. To stop this
    happening, edit ~/.kde/share/config/kwalletrc and set Enabled to False.

    (The whole issue of security is another question. It isn't just a matter
    of "I have nothing on my computer that a hacker would want." They want
    your computer, to be a zombie for their spam distribution or DOS attacks.
    And it was pointed out to me, that if my computer is taken over, I carry
    the can. I see it as a calculated risk - like everything in life. I use a
    firewall, and a rootkit hunter.)

    HTH,

    Doug.

+ Reply to Thread