X errors logged with window creation/termination + CD-ROM polling - KDE

This is a discussion on X errors logged with window creation/termination + CD-ROM polling - KDE ; Hi. I'm running KDE 3.5.7 on a Slackware 12 Linux system, with an Xorg server updated to the current 7.3 Xorg release (server is 1.4.0) under Linux 2.6.23.14. I'm finding that KDE is pumping out a number of error messages ...

  1. X errors logged with window creation/termination + CD-ROM polling

    Hi. I'm running KDE 3.5.7 on a Slackware 12 Linux system, with an Xorg
    server updated to the current 7.3 Xorg release (server is 1.4.0) under
    Linux 2.6.23.14.

    I'm finding that KDE is pumping out a number of error messages like
    this to my .xsession-errors:

    X Error: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes) 8
    Major opcode: 158
    Minor opcode: 6
    Resource id: 0x13b
    X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
    Major opcode: 20
    Minor opcode: 0
    Resource id: 0x1c00005
    X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
    Major opcode: 20
    Minor opcode: 0
    Resource id: 0x1c00005

    .... and so forth. For example, every time I create a terminal window and
    then terminate it I get at least one of these messages. But KDE itself
    seems to be working okay.

    I see this behaviour with both KDE running on my 'real' Xorg 1.4.0 server
    and also under VNC with the Xvnc 4.1.2 X11 server. With two such different
    X11 servers I'm thinking the problem may be more likely to be on the KDE
    side.

    If I do a search on the web I see this sort of error popping up all over the
    place (although there don't seem to be many solutions). If it's a generic
    sort of X11 problem I'm hoping someone might be able to tell me where
    I should look, if not provide details on this exact problem with KDE.

    As a separate issue whenever I run KDE these errors/warnings are being
    syslogged to /var/log/messages:

    sr0: CDROM not ready. Make sure there is a disc in the drive.

    at a rate of about one a second. I only get this problem with KDE; when
    I'm running other window managers it's not logged at all. If I put
    a DVD disc in the drive KDE shuts up :-). After it launches a popup window
    asking me what I want to do with the disc.

    When I go into Control Panel / Peripherals / Storage Media and
    enter the 'Advanced' tab there are three tick boxes:

    [X] Enable HAL backend
    [X] Enable CD polling
    [ ] Enable medium application autostart after mount

    but the first two are disabled - greyed out - so I can't untick those
    boxes.

    HAL is running normally on the system anyway; and as I mentioned before
    the syslog messages aren't produced unless I'm running KDE as my window
    manager.

    Can anyone help with either of these KDE problems?

    Thanks,

    Brad

  2. Re: X errors logged with window creation/termination + CD-ROM polling

    Brad wrote:

    > Hi. I'm running KDE 3.5.7 on a Slackware 12 Linux system, with an Xorg
    > server updated to the current 7.3 Xorg release (server is 1.4.0) under
    > Linux 2.6.23.14.
    >
    > I'm finding that KDE is pumping out a number of error messages like
    > this to my .xsession-errors:
    >
    > X Error: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes) 8
    > Major opcode: 158
    > Minor opcode: 6
    > Resource id: 0x13b
    > X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
    > Major opcode: 20
    > Minor opcode: 0
    > Resource id: 0x1c00005
    > X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
    > Major opcode: 20
    > Minor opcode: 0
    > Resource id: 0x1c00005
    >
    > ... and so forth. For example, every time I create a terminal window and
    > then terminate it I get at least one of these messages. But KDE itself
    > seems to be working okay.
    >
    > I see this behaviour with both KDE running on my 'real' Xorg 1.4.0 server
    > and also under VNC with the Xvnc 4.1.2 X11 server. With two such
    > different X11 servers I'm thinking the problem may be more likely to be on
    > the KDE side.
    >
    > If I do a search on the web I see this sort of error popping up all over
    > the
    > place (although there don't seem to be many solutions). If it's a generic
    > sort of X11 problem I'm hoping someone might be able to tell me where
    > I should look, if not provide details on this exact problem with KDE.
    >
    > As a separate issue whenever I run KDE these errors/warnings are being
    > syslogged to /var/log/messages:
    >
    > sr0: CDROM not ready. Make sure there is a disc in the drive.
    >
    > at a rate of about one a second. I only get this problem with KDE; when
    > I'm running other window managers it's not logged at all. If I put
    > a DVD disc in the drive KDE shuts up :-). After it launches a popup
    > window asking me what I want to do with the disc.
    >
    > When I go into Control Panel / Peripherals / Storage Media and
    > enter the 'Advanced' tab there are three tick boxes:
    >
    > [X] Enable HAL backend
    > [X] Enable CD polling
    > [ ] Enable medium application autostart after mount
    >
    > but the first two are disabled - greyed out - so I can't untick those
    > boxes.
    >
    > HAL is running normally on the system anyway; and as I mentioned before
    > the syslog messages aren't produced unless I'm running KDE as my window
    > manager.
    >
    > Can anyone help with either of these KDE problems?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >

    > Brad

    Are they affecting your use of KDE? I see the first one often, and just
    ignore it as a nuisance message.

    I see the CD-ROM message during bootup, and I have seen it under Ubuntu as
    well. It is simply telling you that there is no disc in the drive, which
    is perfectly correct. If there shouldn't be one, ignore it. I suppose
    that if you could disable CD polling, it would stop, but then there would
    be no popup when you put in a CD. Whether that is a good thing or not
    depends on your preferences

    If you were running Windows, or Linux entirely from GUIs, without a
    terminal, you would never see these messages. Heaven knows what Windows
    would spit out if you ran it the same way!

    HTH,

    Doug.

+ Reply to Thread