Problem with "kdeglobals" and "kickerrc" - KDE

This is a discussion on Problem with "kdeglobals" and "kickerrc" - KDE ; KDE 3.5 Slackware 11.0 Hello, I am having a problem which started the other night. But in order to explain, I give the below bit of history I had posted in alt.os.linux.slackware Subject: Booting up - keeps telling me to ...

  1. Problem with "kdeglobals" and "kickerrc"

    KDE 3.5
    Slackware 11.0

    Hello,

    I am having a problem which started the other night. But in order to
    explain, I give the below bit of history I had posted in
    alt.os.linux.slackware
    Subject: Booting up - keeps telling me to run fsck ...
    When I booted up earlier tonight, I noticed the screen said it was doing a
    'check forced' . It made it through hdd1 ( / ) but had to make changes
    while checking hdd3 ( /home ). After it completed it recommended
    running fsck. Actually, I missed this last part the first time it booted. I
    tried to start X and it did but my icons were huge and stuff was missing.
    I moved the mouse to exit out of my session and everything hung. Then
    the screen went black ( except for an X on the screen ). And that is when
    my nightmare started. I restarted the computer and each time it booted
    it went through 'check forced'. Sometimes hdd1 cleared fine and hdd3
    would need to be fixed here and there and other times both hdd1 and hdd3
    needed fixes. In each case it was always recommended that I run fsck,
    which has been going on at least 8 times by now.

    If I log on as root, I can start X with no apparent problems. Everything
    seems to work fine ( although the audio file no longer plays when has
    has comlpeted starting ). But if I try to log onto my account and start X,
    things are missing and things get hung.

    Can someone please tell me what I might try now.. Do I need to keep
    doing 'fsck' and rebooting as it keeps suggesting or is there something
    else for me to try... ?

    = Paul =
    After following a few suggestions given I try logging into my user account
    and startx again. But I still have problems. There are items (icons) missing
    and nothing responds to mouse clicks. This does not happen when I use
    the root account. X runs good.

    FSCK did quite a few fixes, and somewhere it pointed out:
    Duplicate or bad blocks in use
    and something:
    multiply-claimed block(s) in inode 2160597: 2164619
    multiply-claimed block(s) in inode 2160646: 2164619
    the above referring to ~/.kde/share/config/kdeglobals and kickerrc.

    I do not have a backup. I do have an 8 gig disk with my original
    Slackware 11 installed ( I added a 160 gig disk later and re-installed
    Slack on it, but kept the 8 gig disk in the cabinet). Would it do any
    good to copy the two files off the old disk onto the new or would
    they be too far out of date ( new disk is about 8 months old ) ?

    And if'n I get out of this one, I promiss I'll start doing backups .....
    Honset..!

    = Paul =

  2. Re: Problem with "kdeglobals" and "kickerrc"

    wrote in message
    > KDE 3.5
    > Slackware 11.0

    [snip]

    > I do not have a backup. I do have an 8 gig disk with my original
    > Slackware 11 installed ( I added a 160 gig disk later and re-installed
    > Slack on it, but kept the 8 gig disk in the cabinet). Would it do any
    > good to copy the two files off the old disk onto the new or would
    > they be too far out of date ( new disk is about 8 months old ) ?
    >
    > And if'n I get out of this one, I promiss I'll start doing backups .....
    > Honset..!

    It looks like you've got some filesystem corruption, as a suggestion you
    could try booting from a live cd such as the one at
    http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page and running fsck from there. If you
    manage to to do a repair then many files may end up missing so reinstalling
    various packages may be necessary to get things working again.

    --
    Geoff

  3. Re: Problem with "kdeglobals" and "kickerrc"

    Well, if anyone is still following this thread, I think the problem is
    solved. J.O. Aho recommended renaming my /.kde directory
    from root and then logging back on as user and that seemed to
    work. Other than a few icon pic replacements, everything else
    seems to be good.

    Gotta go take it for a spin now..

    Thanks again to all who have replied.

    = Paul =