custom launchers - KDE

This is a discussion on custom launchers - KDE ; I try to create custom launchers, adding the CLI command and all, for applications I've compiled myself, such as "audacity". When I click on the newly created audacity launcher icon, a terminal window pops up for a half a second, ...

  1. custom launchers

    I try to create custom launchers, adding the CLI command and all, for
    applications I've compiled myself, such as "audacity".

    When I click on the newly created audacity launcher icon, a terminal
    window pops up for a half a second, then disappears, and then
    nothing. The application does not start. I don't see any system
    messages. I've tried using the full path to application, but that
    doesn't help.

    What am I doing wrong?

    thanks
    andrew

  2. Re: custom launchers

    Andrew wrote:
    > I try to create custom launchers, adding the CLI command and all, for
    > applications I've compiled myself, such as "audacity".

    Have you checked that the binary do work?
    Have you checked that the user who the KDE is run as has the right to
    run the binary?

    > When I click on the newly created audacity launcher icon, a terminal
    > window pops up for a half a second,

    I do suggest you disable the usage of the terminal window (edit the
    properties for that launcher), it's only needed if you run a tool like
    pine or mc, which don't open a gui but uses the terminal environment.

    > then disappears, and then
    > nothing. The application does not start. I don't see any system
    > messages. I've tried using the full path to application, but that
    > doesn't help.

    As it don't work with the full path nor the binary name, I guess the
    binary don't work, maybe for the libraries are only been looked in
    /usr/lib and not in /usr/local/lib, or that the binary is broken.

    --

    //Aho

  3. Re: custom launchers

    On Jan 27, 2:52 pm, "J.O. Aho" wrote:
    > Andrew wrote:
    > > I try to create custom launchers, adding the CLI command and all, for
    > > applications I've compiled myself, such as "audacity".

    > Have you checked that the binary do work?
    > Have you checked that the user who the KDE is run as has the right to
    > run the binary?
    >
    > > When I click on the newly created audacity launcher icon, a terminal
    > > window pops up for a half a second,

    > I do suggest you disable the usage of the terminal window (edit the
    > properties for that launcher), it's only needed if you run a tool like
    > pine or mc, which don't open a gui but uses the terminal environment.
    >
    > > then disappears, and then
    > > nothing. The application does not start. I don't see any system
    > > messages. I've tried using the full path to application, but that
    > > doesn't help.

    > As it don't work with the full path nor the binary name, I guess the
    > binary don't work, maybe for the libraries are only been looked in
    > /usr/lib and not in /usr/local/lib, or that the binary is broken.

    Thanks for the reply. The binaries are working perfectly. I guess I
    left out too much info in my post, assuming that others will assume I
    naturally tested launching at the command line.

    Yes! Of course, I tried to launch the binaries in question from the
    commandline -- with 100% success: audacity, RutilT (wifi
    configurator), mplayer, etc., etc.

    But none of these start with the KDE/Gnome custom launchers!

    Now, strangely, ooimpress launcher created by _me_ DOES work (created
    the same exact way as those above). It's probably a clue, but,
    practically i'm still clueless, not knowing how to use that clue :-))

    Permissions are all good.

    thanks again!

    Andrew

  4. Re: custom launchers

    Andrew wrote:

    > Yes! Of course, I tried to launch the binaries in question from the
    > commandline -- with 100% success: audacity, RutilT (wifi
    > configurator), mplayer, etc., etc.
    >
    > But none of these start with the KDE/Gnome custom launchers!

    I'm hanging around at other ngs with quite a lot of new people where you
    can't assume things like that.

    This makes it feel like there is some issue with paths, you could add a
    redirect of the output to a file "audacity > /tmp/output", this gives
    you the possibility to see what error message that has been generated.

    --

    //Aho

+ Reply to Thread