Multiple kde profiles per user - KDE

This is a discussion on Multiple kde profiles per user - KDE ; Hi all, I'd like to have different KDE settings for the same user that can somehow be selected at login time. The primary reason for this is that I have a triple head setup on my main computer (2 separate ...

  1. Multiple kde profiles per user

    Hi all,
    I'd like to have different KDE settings for the same user that can somehow
    be selected at login time.

    The primary reason for this is that I have a triple head setup on my main
    computer (2 separate KDE desktops). I have the main panel on the bottom of
    the left hand monitor, the task bar vertically on the right hand side of
    the second monitor and superkaramba running on the third monitor. I also
    use compiz-fusion for all sorts of eye candy.
    I log into this computer remotely (using freenx/nxclient) from a computer
    that is only single headed. I have to move panels and superkaramba around
    after logging in to make it usable. Also the desktop wallpaper on the
    triple head setup is quite large and doesn't look good on a single head.
    I'd like to be able to specify a different image.

    Basically I want separate kdesktop/panel positioning settings, but the
    same application data (knode, kmail etc) using a single login with the same
    home directory (I am just a single user, after all - just connecting from a
    computer with a different monitor layout).

    Is this possible in any way?
    --
    A.

  2. Re: Multiple kde profiles per user

    Allistar wrote:

    > Basically I want separate kdesktop/panel positioning settings, but the
    > same application data (knode, kmail etc) using a single login with the same
    > home directory (I am just a single user, after all - just connecting from a
    > computer with a different monitor layout).

    As far as I know, there aren't any such support in KDE and I frankly
    don't think there is anyone thinking of making anything like that.
    The closest I can think of is that you have two users (I think they can
    share the same uid) and you symlink all the things from your main
    account to your secondary (single head account) that you want to be
    shared between the two logins and the rest you let be, this way you can
    access your files and most of your application settings while your
    desktop looks different.
    This is quite a lot of work to fix.

    --

    //Aho

  3. Re: Multiple kde profiles per user

    "J.O. Aho" wrote in message
    > Allistar wrote:
    >
    >> Basically I want separate kdesktop/panel positioning settings, but the
    >> same application data (knode, kmail etc) using a single login with the
    >> same
    >> home directory (I am just a single user, after all - just connecting from
    >> computer with a different monitor layout).

    > As far as I know, there aren't any such support in KDE and I frankly
    > don't think there is anyone thinking of making anything like that.
    > The closest I can think of is that you have two users (I think they can
    > share the same uid) and you symlink all the things from your main
    > account to your secondary (single head account) that you want to be
    > shared between the two logins and the rest you let be, this way you can
    > access your files and most of your application settings while your
    > desktop looks different.
    > This is quite a lot of work to fix.

    Shame, it would be really useful. Surely much of the groundwork is already
    there with session management, that is, each profile is a session saved with
    an identifier that can be selected at login time.

    --
    Geoff

  4. Re: Multiple kde profiles per user

    Geoffrey Clements wrote:

    > "J.O. Aho" wrote in message
    >> Allistar wrote:
    >>
    >>> Basically I want separate kdesktop/panel positioning settings, but the
    >>> same application data (knode, kmail etc) using a single login with the
    >>> same
    >>> home directory (I am just a single user, after all - just connecting
    >>> from a
    >>> computer with a different monitor layout).

    >> As far as I know, there aren't any such support in KDE and I frankly
    >> don't think there is anyone thinking of making anything like that.
    >> The closest I can think of is that you have two users (I think they can
    >> share the same uid) and you symlink all the things from your main
    >> account to your secondary (single head account) that you want to be
    >> shared between the two logins and the rest you let be, this way you can
    >> access your files and most of your application settings while your
    >> desktop looks different.
    >> This is quite a lot of work to fix.
    >>

    > Shame, it would be really useful. Surely much of the groundwork is
    > already there with session management, that is, each profile is a session
    > saved with an identifier that can be selected at login time.

    Indeed. A workaround would be to detect which config to use when KDE starts
    up and change the desktop, panel positions etc. at runtime.

    Does anyone know how to change the desktop background in code? (DCOP maybe?)
    How about add/removing/positioning panels and fixed windows (like
    Superkaramba).
    --
    A.

+ Reply to Thread