KDE4 on Ubuntu -- pointers, anyone? - KDE

This is a discussion on KDE4 on Ubuntu -- pointers, anyone? - KDE ; I just installed the KDE4.0 packages on my Ubuntu Gutsy installation. I am not amused by what I have seen. Konqueror is my favorite browser, and it looks like it has lost most of its' configurability. Konqueror for KDE4.0 really ...

  1. KDE4 on Ubuntu -- pointers, anyone?

    I just installed the KDE4.0 packages on my Ubuntu Gutsy installation.

    I am not amused by what I have seen.

    Konqueror is my favorite browser, and it looks like it has lost most of
    its' configurability. Konqueror for KDE4.0 really sucks.

    Am I missing something?

    Is there something simple that I could do to configure KDE4.0 properly?

    I copied all of the files from ~/.kde to ~/.kde4, and still Konqueror is
    a steaming dump.

    Will it get back to 3.5.8 usability in KDE4.1? Any opinions?

    TIA.

  2. Re: KDE4 on Ubuntu -- pointers, anyone?

    Joe User wrote:
    > I just installed the KDE4.0 packages on my Ubuntu Gutsy installation.
    > I am not amused by what I have seen.

    No, KDE4.0 (when released as stable) will miss a lot of things, mainly many of
    the configuration options.

    > Will it get back to 3.5.8 usability in KDE4.1? Any opinions?

    I'm more thinking of maybe wait even for KDE4.2 before thinking of leaving the
    3.5 series.

    --

    //Aho

  3. Re: KDE4 on Ubuntu -- pointers, anyone?

    J.O. Aho wrote:

    >> I just installed the KDE4.0 packages on my Ubuntu Gutsy installation.
    >> I am not amused by what I have seen.

    > No, KDE4.0 (when released as stable) will miss a lot of things, mainly
    > many of the configuration options.

    Such as ...

    --
    Timothy Murphy
    tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

  4. Re: KDE4 on Ubuntu -- pointers, anyone?

    Timothy Murphy wrote:
    > J.O. Aho wrote:
    >
    >>> I just installed the KDE4.0 packages on my Ubuntu Gutsy installation.
    >>> I am not amused by what I have seen.

    >> No, KDE4.0 (when released as stable) will miss a lot of things, mainly
    >> many of the configuration options.

    > Such as ...

    You can read the comments http://dot.kde.org/1196525703
    You get the basic settings only, in the same manner as in gnome2, you
    don't have any of the more advanced settings like modify the title bar.

    --

    //Aho

  5. Re: KDE4 on Ubuntu -- pointers, anyone?

  6. Re: KDE4 on Ubuntu -- pointers, anyone?

    Sheridan Hutchinson wrote:

    > KDE 4.0 is certainly a milestone, however I suspect for all us longtime
    > KDE 3.x users who have spent considerable time on our desktop, a
    > straight swap with KDE 4.0 is not practical as it marks a clear
    > departure from previous ways of doing things in KDE.

    I've been running KDE-4 from the Fedora KDE-4 Live CD on a USB stick.
    It didn't strike me as much different to KDE-3.
    In so far as it was different I didn't see anything to write home about.
    It ran well enough, though a couple of applications crashed.

    Then I installed it on my hard disk.
    It was really very unstable.
    The cursor hung, and when I went to text mode with Ctr-Alt-F1
    I could not get back to graphics mode with Alt-F7.

    --
    Timothy Murphy
    tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

  7. Re: KDE4 on Ubuntu -- pointers, anyone?

  8. Re: KDE4 on Ubuntu -- pointers, anyone?

    Sheridan Hutchinson wrote:

    FYI: My knode is reporting that your signature is bad, on this and one
    other article. First time I've ever seen that particular message; usually
    I get that the key is valid but untrusted (haven't set up a chain yet).

  9. Re: KDE4 on Ubuntu -- pointers, anyone?

    clifto wrote:

    > Sheridan Hutchinson wrote:

    > FYI: My knode is reporting that your signature is bad, on this and one
    > other article. First time I've ever seen that particular message; usually
    > I get that the key is valid but untrusted (haven't set up a chain yet).

    Interesting; my knode just gives the usual "Message was signed with unknown
    key".

    --
    Geoff Registered Linux user 196308
    Replace bitbucket with geoff to mail me.

  10. Re: KDE4 on Ubuntu -- pointers, anyone?

  11. Re: KDE4 on Ubuntu -- pointers, anyone?

    Graham P Davis wrote:
    > Sheridan Hutchinson wrote:
    >> clifto wrote:
    >> > FYI: My knode is reporting that your signature is bad, on this and one
    >> > other article. First time I've ever seen that particular message;
    >> > usually I get that the key is valid but untrusted (haven't set up a
    >> > chain yet).

    >> Thanks for letting me know, however after some checking I have been
    >> unable to find any problems with verifying my signatures.

    > I also get the same problem with your signature and knode. Message is -
    > Message was signed with unknown key 0x7AB3F1A0.
    > The validity of the signature cannot be verified.

    Mine doesn't say that:
    "Message was signed by Sheridan Hutchinson (Key ID: 0x7AB3F1A0).
    Warning: The signature is bad."

  12. Re: KDE4 on Ubuntu -- pointers, anyone?

  13. Re: KDE4 on Ubuntu -- pointers, anyone?

    Sheridan Hutchinson Sheridan@Shezza.org left this in comp.windows.x.kde:

    > Message was signed with unknown key 0x7AB3F1A0.
    > The validity of the signature cannot be verified.

    I get this:
    Message was signed with unknown key 0x7AB3F1A0.
    The validity of the signature cannot be verified.

    Knode 0.10.4 on kde 3.5.5 on suse 10.2

    --
    ----------

    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens.
    --Schiller (from "Die Jungfrau von Orleans")

  14. Re: KDE4 on Ubuntu -- pointers, anyone?

    On Jan 12, 10:59 am, Joe User wrote:
    > I just installed theKDE4.0 packages on my Ubuntu Gutsy installation.
    >
    > I am not amused by what I have seen.
    >
    > Konqueror is my favorite browser, and it looks like it has lost most of
    > its' configurability. Konqueror forKDE4.0 really sucks.
    >
    > Am I missing something?
    >
    > Is there something simple that I could do to configureKDE4.0 properly?
    >
    > I copied all of the files from ~/.kde to ~/.kde4, and still Konqueror is
    > a steaming dump.
    >
    > Will it get back to 3.5.8 usability inKDE4.1? Any opinions?
    >
    > TIA.

    I installed kubuntu gutsy from kubuntu live on an alternate partition
    just to get kde4. I want to use the latest version of some graphics
    packages such as inkscape 4.1 and kde 3.5 isn't friendly to them. I
    used kubuntu because it was the only debian version that could find my
    ethernet connection, and it had kde4. All the other versions switch
    eth0 and eth1 from their normal Slackware attachments.

    1. Kmail would not install directly onto that partition using
    apt-get install kmail
    So next I will try putting the entire koffice suite out there. Stay
    tuned.

    2. I normally operate from a console window in the gui. Haven't found
    way to fire up a console window yet.

    3. I normally have icons for frequently used programs on the kicker
    bar across the bottom. Haven't figured out how to do that on kde4.

    Hints on 1, 2, and/or 3 above would be helpful.

    john Culleton

  15. Re: KDE4 on Ubuntu -- pointers, anyone?

    On Jan 22, 2:42 pm, "j...@wexfordpress.com"
    wrote:
    > On Jan 12, 10:59 am, Joe User wrote:
    >

    > > I just installed theKDE4.0 packages on my Ubuntu Gutsy installation.

    > > I am not amused by what I have seen.

    > > Konqueror is my favorite browser, and it looks like it has lost most of
    > > its' configurability. Konqueror forKDE4.0 really sucks.

    > > Am I missing something?

    > > Is there something simple that I could do to configureKDE4.0 properly?

    > > I copied all of the files from ~/.kde to ~/.kde4, and still Konqueror is
    > > a steaming dump.

    > > Will it get back to 3.5.8 usability inKDE4.1? Any opinions?

    > > TIA.

    > I installed kubuntu gutsy from kubuntu live on an alternate partition
    > just to get kde4. I want to use the latest version of some graphics
    > packages such as inkscape 4.1 and kde 3.5 isn't friendly to them. I
    > used kubuntu because it was the only debian version that could find my
    > ethernet connection, and it had kde4. All the other versions switch
    > eth0 and eth1 from their normal Slackware attachments.
    >
    > 1. Kmail would not install directly onto that partition using
    > apt-get install kmail
    > So next I will try putting the entire koffice suite out there. Stay
    > tuned.

    Well I installed koffice and got krita but kmail still won't load. It
    depends on kdebase-kio-plugins and that has broken apps in it.
    So I continue to do real work in my Slack 12 partition which runs kde
    3.5.8.

    On the items below I still need advice.

    > 2. I normally operate from a console window in the gui. Haven't found
    > way to fire up a console window yet.
    >
    > 3. I normally have icons for frequently used programs on the kicker
    > bar across the bottom. Haven't figured out how to do that on kde4.
    >
    > Hints on 1, 2, and/or 3 above would be helpful.
    >
    > johnCulleton

  16. Re: KDE4 on Ubuntu -- pointers, anyone?

    Joseph2K wrote:
    > Sheridan Hutchinson Sheridan@Shezza.org left this in comp.windows.x.kde:
    >
    >> Message was signed with unknown key 0x7AB3F1A0.
    >> The validity of the signature cannot be verified.

    > I get this:
    > Message was signed with unknown key 0x7AB3F1A0.
    > The validity of the signature cannot be verified.

    That means you're not using the right key server. I believe I had to add
    pgp.mit.edu as default server before many signatures started working for
    me.

  17. Re: KDE4 on Ubuntu -- pointers, anyone?

    On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 12:14:00 -0800, john@wexfordpress.com wrote:

    > On the items below I still need advice.
    >
    >> 2. I normally operate from a console window in the gui. Haven't found
    >> way to fire up a console window yet.
    >>
    >> 3. I normally have icons for frequently used programs on the kicker bar
    >> across the bottom. Haven't figured out how to do that on kde4.
    >>
    >> Hints on 1, 2, and/or 3 above would be helpful.

    I run a console by entering Alt-F2, and entering konsole. I save KDE
    sessions in the usual way. I arrange for KDE to save sessions manually,
    and save the session as I want it to resume at each login.

    To put icons on the kicker panel, just right-click the panel, and choose
    'Add application to panel'.

  18. Re: KDE4 on Ubuntu -- pointers, anyone?

    On Jan 22, 8:46 pm, Joe User wrote:
    > On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 12:14:00 -0800, j...@wexfordpress.com wrote:
    > > On the items below I still need advice.

    > >> 2. I normally operate from a console window in the gui. Haven't found
    > >> way to fire up a console window yet.

    > >> 3. I normally have icons for frequently used programs on the kicker bar
    > >> across the bottom. Haven't figured out how to do that on kde4.

    > >> Hints on 1, 2, and/or 3 above would be helpful.

    > I run a console by entering Alt-F2, and entering konsole. I save KDE
    > sessions in the usual way. I arrange for KDE to save sessions manually,
    > and save the session as I want it to resume at each login.
    >
    > To put icons on the kicker panel, just right-click the panel, and choose
    > 'Add application to panel'.

    That last suggestion doesn't work with KDE 4.0.

    John C.

  19. Re: KDE4 on Ubuntu -- pointers, anyone?

    clifto clifto@gmail.com left this in comp.windows.x.kde:

    > Joseph2K wrote:
    >> Sheridan Hutchinson Sheridan@Shezza.org left this in
    >> comp.windows.x.kde:
    >>
    >>> Message was signed with unknown key 0x7AB3F1A0.
    >>> The validity of the signature cannot be verified.

    >> I get this:
    >> Message was signed with unknown key 0x7AB3F1A0.
    >> The validity of the signature cannot be verified.

    > That means you're not using the right key server. I believe I had to
    > add pgp.mit.edu as default server before many signatures started
    > working for me.

    Actually, i do not think i have even setup GPG.

    --

    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens.
    --Schiller (from "Die Jungfrau von Orleans")

+ Reply to Thread