KDE 4 Ati Card - KDE

This is a discussion on KDE 4 Ati Card - KDE ; I have a SUSE system Factory version. I have installed KDE 3 and KDE 4. I had both versions running ok then I got fancy. I upgraded my ATI driver to the proprietary version and things went kaplooie. KDE 3 ...

  1. KDE 4 Ati Card

    I have a SUSE system Factory version.
    I have installed KDE 3 and KDE 4.

    I had both versions running ok then I got fancy.
    I upgraded my ATI driver to the proprietary version and things went
    kaplooie.

    KDE 3 still works but KDE 4 does not. In KDE 4 the splash screen comes up
    then disappears. I get some system sounds so I know it is still going.
    Additionally, I get the mouse arrow and it seems to work Ok, except there
    is just a black screen. Sometimes when I restart X I get a quick flash
    where I can see the KDE 4 desktop picture I was using.

    I edited the xorg.conf file to change the driver back to the old radeon
    but that doesn't fix things. Any ideas what I might try to get this
    working again?

    Thanks,

    Steve

  2. Re: KDE 4 Ati Card

    Steven Green steven.green30@verizon.net left this in comp.windows.x.kde:

    > I have a SUSE system Factory version.
    > I have installed KDE 3 and KDE 4.
    >
    > I had both versions running ok then I got fancy.
    > I upgraded my ATI driver to the proprietary version and things went
    > kaplooie.
    >
    > KDE 3 still works but KDE 4 does not. In KDE 4 the splash screen comes
    > up then disappears. I get some system sounds so I know it is still
    > going. Additionally, I get the mouse arrow and it seems to work Ok,
    > except there is just a black screen. Sometimes when I restart X I get
    > a quick flash where I can see the KDE 4 desktop picture I was using.
    >
    > I edited the xorg.conf file to change the driver back to the old
    > radeon but that doesn't fix things. Any ideas what I might try to get
    > this working again?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Steve

    Cut us some more slack here, which suse?, which ATI card?, what is your
    display?

    --
    ----------

    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens.
    --Schiller (from "Die Jungfrau von Orleans")

  3. Re: KDE 4 Ati Card

    At login window, select the previous KDE version (3.5). Go to Settings
    -> System Settings KDE4, uncheck Enable Desktop Effects and click
    apply. Logout, select KDE4.

    Do not select "Enable Desktop Effects" as it seems to trigger the
    problem again.

    I still don't know how to fix it...

    Erik

    On Jan 12, 1:51 pm, Steven Green wrote:
    > I have a SUSE system Factory version.
    > I have installed KDE 3 and KDE 4.
    >
    > I had both versions running ok then I got fancy.
    > I upgraded my ATI driver to the proprietary version and things went
    > kaplooie.
    >
    > KDE 3 still works but KDE 4 does not. In KDE 4 the splash screen comes up
    > then disappears. I get some system sounds so I know it is still going.
    > Additionally, I get the mouse arrow and it seems to work Ok, except there
    > is just a black screen. Sometimes when I restart X I get a quick flash
    > where I can see the KDE 4 desktop picture I was using.
    >
    > I edited the xorg.conf file to change the driver back to the old radeon
    > but that doesn't fix things. Any ideas what I might try to get this
    > working again?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Steve

  4. Re: KDE 4 Ati Card

    I posted an update to this a week or so ago, but it never posted.

    I solved this by deleting the .KDE4 file it worked after that.
    It seems something got corrupted.

    Thanks for your help.

    Steve

+ Reply to Thread