Kwallet - KDE

This is a discussion on Kwallet - KDE ; Pardon the extremely newbie question but how do I invoke the KDE wallet manager? I have tried the application and system pull-down menus (and preferences and administration sub-menus) and found nothing. Executables starting with kde are kde-config kdeinit kdeprintfax kdesu_stub ...

  1. Kwallet

    Pardon the extremely newbie question but how do I invoke the KDE wallet
    manager? I have tried the application and system pull-down menus (and
    preferences and administration sub-menus) and found nothing.

    Executables starting with kde are
    kde-config kdeinit kdeprintfax kdesu_stub
    kde-menu kdeinit_shutdown kdesktop kdesud
    kdebugdialog kdeinit_wrapper kdesktop_lock
    kded kdeinstallktheme kdestroy
    kdeeject kdepasswd kdesu

    Executables starting with kw are
    kwatchgnupg kwin kword kwrapper
    kwebdesktop kwin_killer_helper kwordquiz kwrite
    kwifimanager kwin_rules_dialog kworldclock kwriteconfig

    but nothing jumps out at me saying that it can handle kwallet password
    management.

    Any help appreciated.

    I am running Fedora Core 6.

    Larry

  2. Re: Kwallet

    OK, sounds good. The only problem is that I am unable to find the KDE Start
    menu!

    J.O. Aho wrote:

    > Larry Spitz wrote:
    >> Pardon the extremely newbie question but how do I invoke the KDE wallet
    >> manager? I have tried the application and system pull-down menus (and
    >> preferences and administration sub-menus) and found nothing.

    > Open your "Control Center" (should be in your KDE Start menu) and select
    > "Security & Privacy"/"KDE Wallet" and you should be able to launch Wallet.

  3. Re: Kwallet

    Larry Spitz wrote:

    > OK, sounds good. The only problem is that I am unable to find the KDE
    > Start menu!

    Ah, that problem is solvable: hit Alt-F2 and type "kcontrol" in the box.

    Irina

    --
    "Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth
    should that mean that it is not real?" --Albus Dumbledore

  4. Re: Kwallet

    Irina's instructions worked a treat. However the saga continues.
    There is no entry for Kwallet under Security & Privacy, only Crypto,
    Password & User Account, and Privacy.

    None of these give me a path to Kwallet.

    Irina Rempt wrote:

    > Larry Spitz wrote:
    >
    >> OK, sounds good. The only problem is that I am unable to find the KDE
    >> Start menu!

    > Ah, that problem is solvable: hit Alt-F2 and type "kcontrol" in the box.
    >
    > Irina

  5. Re: Kwallet

    Larry Spitz wrote:
    > Irina Rempt wrote:
    >> Larry Spitz wrote:

    >>> OK, sounds good. The only problem is that I am unable to find the KDE
    >>> Start menu!

    If you can't find the start menu, then it's doubtful that you are using KDE.
    gnome2 do not use kwallet, but gpass.

    >> Ah, that problem is solvable: hit Alt-F2 and type "kcontrol" in the box.

    > Irina's instructions worked a treat. However the saga continues.
    > There is no entry for Kwallet under Security & Privacy, only Crypto,
    > Password & User Account, and Privacy.
    > None of these give me a path to Kwallet.

    I would guess you are missing the kdeutils package, I do suggest you install
    it, get it from the fedora ftp site or rpmfind.net* (I assume you have been
    smart enough to keep your system up to date, otherwise use the one that on
    your install media).

    * http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/se...kcm_kwallet.so

    --

    //Aho

  6. Re: Kwallet

    J.O. Aho wrote:

    > Larry Spitz wrote:
    >> Irina Rempt wrote:

    > If you can't find the start menu, then it's doubtful that you are using
    > KDE. gnome2 do not use kwallet, but gpass.
    >

    >>> Ah, that problem is solvable: hit Alt-F2 and type "kcontrol" in the box.

    >> Irina's instructions worked a treat. However the saga continues.
    >> There is no entry for Kwallet under Security & Privacy, only Crypto,
    >> Password & User Account, and Privacy.
    >> None of these give me a path to Kwallet.

    > I would guess you are missing the kdeutils package, I do suggest you
    > install it, get it from the fedora ftp site or rpmfind.net* (I assume you
    > have been smart enough to keep your system up to date, otherwise use the
    > one that on your install media).
    >

    > * http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/se...kcm_kwallet.so

    OK, I'll bottom post. I prefer it anyway.

    I do keep my system up to date. I do have lots of KDE utilities that run
    fine: knode, kalarm, kword, etc. I presume - perhaps incorrectly - that
    this means I am running KDE.

    Knode uses kwallet successfully
    Krdc does not. That is the immediate problem I am trying to solve.

    I used the rpmfind URL you supplied (Thanks!) but there is no FC6 rpm there.
    I tried both FC$ and FC7 and they both give me an unresolved dependency on
    libnetsnmp.so.5

    In my ignorance I tried both

    # yum update libnetsnmp
    Could not find update match for libnetsnmp

    # yum update libnetsnmp.so.5
    Could not find update match for libnetsnmp.so.5

    ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/d...5.fc6.i386.rpm
    is 404.

    Believe me I know I am operating high above my level of ignorance here and I
    apologize for being confused by all of this. I do not claim to understand
    the inter-relationship of Gnome and KDE and this might be the wrong
    newsgroup in which to find the help I need.

    What do I do next?

  7. Re: Kwallet

    Larry Spitz wrote:

    > J.O. Aho wrote:
    >
    >> Larry Spitz wrote:

    >> If you can't find the start menu, then it's doubtful that you are using
    >> KDE. gnome2 do not use kwallet, but gpass.

    >>> Irina's instructions worked a treat. However the saga continues.
    >>> There is no entry for Kwallet under Security & Privacy, only Crypto,
    >>> Password & User Account, and Privacy.
    >>> None of these give me a path to Kwallet.

    >> I would guess you are missing the kdeutils package, I do suggest you
    >> install it, get it from the fedora ftp site or rpmfind.net* (I assume you
    >> have been smart enough to keep your system up to date, otherwise use the
    >> one that on your install media).
    >>

    >> * http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/se...kcm_kwallet.so
    >>

    > OK, I'll bottom post. I prefer it anyway.
    >
    > I do keep my system up to date. I do have lots of KDE utilities that run
    > fine: knode, kalarm, kword, etc. I presume - perhaps incorrectly - that
    > this means I am running KDE.
    >
    > Knode uses kwallet successfully
    > Krdc does not. That is the immediate problem I am trying to solve.

    ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/d...5.fc6.i386.rpm
    > is 404.

    > What do I do next?

    OK, I found an working mirror and installed kdeutils-3.5.4 successfully but
    still no kwallet entry in Security & Privacy.

  8. Re: Kwallet

    Larry Spitz wrote:

    > Larry Spitz wrote:
    >
    >> J.O. Aho wrote:

    >>> If you can't find the start menu, then it's doubtful that you are using
    >>> KDE. gnome2 do not use kwallet, but gpass.

    >>> I would guess you are missing the kdeutils package, I do suggest you
    >>> install it, get it from the fedora ftp site or rpmfind.net* (I assume you
    >>> have been smart enough to keep your system up to date, otherwise use the
    >>> one that on your install media).
    >>>

    >>> * http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/se...kcm_kwallet.so
    >>>

    >> OK, I'll bottom post. I prefer it anyway.
    >>
    >> I do keep my system up to date. I do have lots of KDE utilities that run
    >> fine: knode, kalarm, kword, etc. I presume - perhaps incorrectly - that
    >> this means I am running KDE.
    >>
    >> Knode uses kwallet successfully
    >> Krdc does not. That is the immediate problem I am trying to solve.
    >>

    > ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/d...5.fc6.i386.rpm
    >> is 404.

    >> What do I do next?

    > OK, I found an working mirror and installed kdeutils-3.5.4 successfully but
    > still no kwallet entry in Security & Privacy.

    Run "kwalletmanager" in the konsole/terminal.

    --

    //Aho

+ Reply to Thread